mtbr member
    Nov 2009

downtube protectors

just got a nice new carbon bike and want to get a good protector for the downtube bottom bracket area. one used bike i had used what looked like a squar piece of carbon that bolted up to the holes on the bottom of the downtube on the specialized i had. wouldn't mind finding who made it or maybe something simliar. don't really like the idea of the tape. if at all possible i would like one of the nice ones that bolt up all nice. anybody have any idea of where to find something like that?

if it matter or anyone knows something specific to a 2013 specialized epic that would be the best.

thanks,
    adam

I4NI
    I go to a dirtbike shop and pick up thick sheets of plastic film. Had the good 3M adhesive and a carbon fiber patern. Just cut to size.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    I just bought a lizard skins carbon leather downtube protector. Seems pretty nice, looks a lot like carbon. May not be a pefect match for your bike, but worth a look. Looks great on my raw steel Kona.

Made out of real leather, easy to trim.
    Lizard Skins Carbon Leather Chainstay Protector, Adhesive in Tree Fort Bikes Frm. Protect (cat138)

snickers driven
    Tire tube- cut it to size, super glue it to underside of BB. Works for my Yeti these past three years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    just got a nice new carbon bike and want to get a good protector for the downtube bottom bracket area. one used bike i had used what looked like a squar piece of carbon that bolted up to the holes on the bottom of the downtube on the specialized i had. wouldn't mind finding who made it or maybe something simliar. don't really like the idea of the tape. if at all possible i would like one of the nice ones that bolt up all nice. anybody have any idea of where to find something like that?

if it matter or anyone knows something specific to a 2013 specialized epic that would be the best.

thanks,
    adam
    dont know if cytoe makes epic ones, but here is a link to his ad, I have a tallboy one

Rock protection for Santa Cruz and Niner frames - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

here is a post about an epic one
    Carbon kevlar downtube/bottom bracket guard

mtbr member
    Trek makes a thick, downtube protector called Trek Carbon Armor which looks like it was designed for the Fuel EX but may work for other bikes. I'm actually considering it for an new aluminum bike I just purchased. You probably have to order it from a Trek dealer. Here's a write-up:

Review/How to: Replacing Trek’s Carbon Armor After It’s Done Its Job - Bike Rumor

Another possibility:

Stoopid 22 Mil DOWNTUBE 2 PACK CLEAR

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    dont know if cytoe makes epic ones, but here is a link to his ad, I have a tallboy one

Rock protection for Santa Cruz and Niner frames - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

here is a post about an epic one
    Carbon kevlar downtube/bottom bracket guard
    that epic one is exactly what i am looking for i am going to try and get in contact with that guy. thanks.