Tear it all out! SuperModerator

Downtube mounted water bottle cage, which one stands up to the abuse?

Both my wife and I got new bikes this year and both only have water bottle mounts on the bottom side of the downtube just above the BB.

Since that is an area that is going to take some hits, which water bottle cages will take the abuse?

If you are wondering why we run them, we do long rides at high elevation so like to carry a bottle of Gatorade. We have 3 liter bladders full of water in our packs.

Back in the day of bottle size batteries the best ones I found were the old Profile cage but they have since changed the design.

OLD Profile Design

NEW Profile Design

I can trade rep for answers.

Thanks!

DIY all the way
    The old Ringle bottle cages were the best out there, but are unfortunately hard to find now.

The best I have seen the last few years, is this:

BBB SpeedCage Bottle Cage BBC09 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Fair priced, and holds better than anything else I've seen.

Magura

AZ
    banned
    Cateye.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    The old Ringle bottle cages were the best out there, but are unfortunately hard to find now.

The best I have seen the last few years, is this:

BBB SpeedCage Bottle Cage BBC09 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Fair priced, and holds better than anything else I've seen.

Magura
    Even when mounted upside down like the white & yellow bottle in the pic below?
    (not my pic but shows the position I'm talking about)

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
    Even when mounted upside down like the white & yellow bottle in the pic below?
    (not my pic but shows the position I'm talking about)
    Yes, used it like that on my Klein Attitude for a while, till the Klein got retired.

Magura

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Cateye.
    Agreed, the Cateye BC-100 is by far the best. My cage of choice for more than 20 years. Unbreakable, does not drop bottles, light, cheap. Just be sure to use washers under the bolt heads.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Agreed, the Cateye BC-100 is by far the best. My cage of choice for more than 20 years. Unbreakable, does not drop bottles, light, cheap. Just be sure to use washers under the bolt heads.
    Thanks, will have to buy a couple when I see them in an LBS.

Front Range, Colorado
    That's funny you mentioned this I have been running the "old" Profile Design for a number of years with no problem. I was unaware that they changed the design. I too initially mounted it for use with my Night Rider battery pack. But after awhile just stopped taking it on and off the bike and just left it on. And recently started using it for Gatorade along with my Camelbak for water. The bad part of that old design was the mounting screw holes were resessed so far below the plastic it was next to impossible to get the screws to start thread with your fingers. I hope the new design is as durable as the old and they fixed that flaw. Sorry for not helping you with your impending issue but good luck. EDIT: After scrolling up and looking at the picture of the "new" design of Profile Design. The same problem hasn't been addressed. Look at the recessed slot where the screws go in. The screws are so short and that slot is so deep there is no way of getting the screws to start thread using your finger tips. And its next to impossible to get it to start with an Allen wrench. This is the only flaw I have had with this cage. But it's enough of a flaw that I wouldn't purchase one again until they fixed it. Just my 2¢ on that design.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-04-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

NONDURO
    From personal experience, the Minoura lightweight cages do not hold up to trail-induced abuse. In under 2,000 miles two of them have failed right at the weld seam. Meanwhile, my Purely Custom™ ones have been holding on for more than 4,000 miles of trail riding.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Sissy Pants FTW Moderator
    Thanks, will have to buy a couple when I see them in an LBS.
    I have a couple you can have if you want to pick them up from me sometime, or else arrange a meet.

mtbr member
    ohhhh, new bikes - what you two get?????

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    ohhhh, new bikes - what you two get?????
    Mine:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/ta...st9373082.html

InaCycle is riding a new to her Blur LTc. Looks similar to this one:
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...1&d=1253567958

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    That's funny you mentioned this I have been running the "old" Profile Design for a number of years with no problem. I was unaware that they changed the design. I too initially mounted it for use with my Night Rider battery pack. But after awhile just stopped taking it on and off the bike and just left it on. And recently started using it for Gatorade along with my Camelbak for water. The bad part of that old design was the mounting screw holes were resessed so far below the plastic it was next to impossible to get the screws to start thread with your fingers. I hope the new design is as durable as the old and they fixed that flaw. Sorry for not helping you with your impending issue but good luck. EDIT: After scrolling up and looking at the picture of the "new" design of Profile Design. The same problem hasn't been addressed. Look at the recessed slot where the screws go in. The screws are so short and that slot is so deep there is no way of getting the screws to start thread using your finger tips. And its next to impossible to get it to start with an Allen wrench. This is the only flaw I have had with this cage. But it's enough of a flaw that I wouldn't purchase one again until they fixed it. Just my 2¢ on that design.
    Interesting, I never found an issue with that. I'd just start the allen bolts in the cage, thread them in to just before it clears the mounting the surface, hold the cage in place, then thread the bolts in with an allen key.

When I was night riding regularily, I used to mount and remove this cage every week.

Front Range, Colorado
    [QUOTE=CraigH;9470653]Interesting, I never found an issue with that. I'd just start the allen bolts in the cage, thread them in to just before it clears the mounting the surface, hold the cage in place, then thread the bolts in with an allen key.

When I was night riding regularily, I used to mount and remove this cage every week.

So are you saying your cage is threaded? Because mine is a straight through hole. Which makes it very difficult to get to thread into the frame with such a deep inset groove in the cage.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    So are you saying your cage is threaded? Because mine is a straight through hole. Which makes it very difficult to get to thread into the frame with such a deep inset groove in the cage.
    No, the hole is actually a slot but it is tight on the screw. I just run the screw into the slot and it holds.

Are you using a L shape allen key or a multi tool?

Front Range, Colorado
    No, the hole is actually a slot but it is tight on the screw. I just run the screw into the slot and it holds.

Are you using a L shape allen key or a multi tool?
    It's been so long since I messed with it but I'm pretty sure I have used both. On mine the head of the bolts didn't fit snug in the slot. I think my problem occurred mainly due to too short of screws. I used to mount and remove it frequently as well. But it got to be such a pain I finally just left it on the bike. Other than that issue it's an awesome durable cage as I'm sure you know.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The main problem I've had with down tube mounted cages is that the mouth piece of the bottle gets covered in mud within seconds. I once got a bottle with cap...it helped a lot but still didn't completely stop mud getting on it somehow. That's why I use hydration pack now.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by h2ored View Post
    The main problem I've had with down tube mounted cages is that the mouth piece of the bottle gets covered in mud within seconds. I once got a bottle with cap...it helped a lot but still didn't completely stop mud getting on it somehow. That's why I use hydration pack now.
    In case you failed reading comprehension, he likes to carry a bottle of Gatorade along with his H2O pack. I do the same, taking one or two bottles of powdered mix/water in the bottles so I don't have to dump the mix into the water pack and clean it later. I'd rather wipe off a little mud/dust off the cap, than not have it.

And btw, Craig, I have a Specialized Enduro with the cage on the down tube like that. I've used a regular old metal cage on there for years without problems. Good thing about the metal ones is you can adjust, by bending, how tightly the cage will hold the bottles.

But, since you're getting a couple of freebies from your fellow Mod, this post is moot. I just wanted to jab at h2ored.
    Information on the trails at New Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, CA.

Thanks for the FP.

I also use the Nalgene bike bottles with the cover. Gatorade is sticky so without a cap the valve gets covered in dust.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    In case you failed reading comprehension, he likes to carry a bottle of Gatorade along with his H2O pack. I do the same, taking one or two bottles of powdered mix/water in the bottles so I don't have to dump the mix into the water pack and clean it later. I'd rather wipe off a little mud/dust off the cap, than not have it.

And btw, Craig, I have a Specialized Enduro with the cage on the down tube like that. I've used a regular old metal cage on there for years without problems. Good thing about the metal ones is you can adjust, by bending, how tightly the cage will hold the bottles.

But, since you're getting a couple of freebies from your fellow Mod, this post is moot. I just wanted to jab at h2ored.
    Wow, you're right. I just realised my post was completely useless LOL
    It appears I totally did not read the OP properly. I think I skimmed it missing the important bits.