mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Downhill v. Enduro

I'm somewhat new into the world of competitive mtb and I really would like to get into DH and/or enduro racing. I don't have a whole lot of money as far as purchasing a bike is concerned so your feedback is highly appreciated. I was mainly wondering if you could use a DH bike for enduro or vice versa. Could I just buy a general DH bike like the Giant Glory and just swap out the double crown forks for singles if I want to ride enduro? Or if I purchased a so-called "enduro bike" could I throw some dualies on there for DH? I just want to make sure I use my money wisely when purchasing somewhere down the road, because, again, I'd like to ride both styles, but with one bike. Again, your feedback is really appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you already have a decent full sus trail bike then a DH rig would make sense. If you need more of a "one bike does it all" Enduro would be the way to go. Setting up a DH bike for Enduro, it won't be very good pedaling/climbing. An enduro with 150-160mm travel will get you pretty close to the downhill experience and still be fun for everything else. If you are going to race, you gotta pay to play and gravity type riding gets spendy real fast!