mtbr member
    Apr 2004

down tube cable routing... why?

I must be missing something. It seems like all it offers is mud and dirt clogging up the cables, yet Specialized specs all their bikes with downtube cable routing. Can someone explain the benefits please?

thanks

TNC
    noMAD man

Probably shouldn't be running open housing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Einke
    I must be missing something. It seems like all it offers is mud and dirt clogging up the cables, yet Specialized specs all their bikes with downtube cable routing. Can someone explain the benefits please?

thanks
    I don't remember offhand how the Big Hit's cable routing runs, but as far as dirt goes (especially for the rear derailleur), full-length housing solves that problem and even helps with ghost shifting on long travel bikes. Many of the more savvy companies and designs are running full length housing to solve both problems. On Specialized, I thought the Enduros ran some cables on the side of the monocoque "top tube". Anyway, more creative routing of full-length housing has usually improved shifting and dirt contamination efforts. We've moved some housings to other locations for customers in some cases where they were having such problems. Depending on the frame shape and other frame specific issues, this can be done cleanly and successfully a lot of the time.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    On my foes, it runs down the downtube, but it runs down the TOP of the downtube, not the underside. The front derailer cable does loop under the bottom bracket at the end of the downtube, but it hits a cable stop on the swingarm, and the front derailer is actually on the swingarm as well, so it "all moves", kind of like a URT although it isn't because the bottom bracket is attached to the frame. It's odd...but it seems to work.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

just along for the ride
    A friend bought a Jamis XLT with top tube routed cables and guess what, it really sucks cause doing hard technical climbs where he has to blow out of his legbeaters to prevent from falling over his shin hits the toptube anchor and takes a chunk out of this shin (heal out to release drives one shin towards the top tube. He did it 7 times before blood left on the scene identified where he was getting hacked up. A piece of foam over it now keeps his exposed cable runs from being bathed in sweat and his shins from turning into burgers.

For those with long exposed downtube runs a solid housing to the rear deraileur is the best way to go no doubt. But all top swing bottom pull front derailuers need that frame cable housing anchor to work. Couple solutions. First is to use a piece of cable housing (used is ok) cut to fit between the frame cable anchor and front derailuer or just get Fugly and protect your drivetrain too from flying stuff off your front wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

blame me for missed rides
    it's easier to route the front derailleur on some suspension designs.

other than that i don't see any benefits. the cyclocross bikes seem to be changing over to top tube routing too. dem roadies are hardcore traditionalists, so i guess they probably won't change any time soon.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Another reason to love Kleins: Internal cable routing!
    Herro prease

no gears, no tears
    Quote Originally Posted by Einke

thanks
    Well you see, while specialized does make some nice bikes, the ptb's are a bunch of idiots that refuse to listen to a gazilion complaints. Just run full length housings and all will be ok.

cyk
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra

I love Kleins as well, but that internal routing is half assed. The cables coming out ahead of the bb shell still get contaminated as does the loop for the rear der. The front der obviously doesn't matter quite as much as the rear, but I'm not quite sure why they don't choose to route the rear der cable through the top tube and down the inside of the seatstay for the rear der. Trek/Klein already routes the rear der cable through the inside of the stay on the Liquid frames, so why not Klein?
    Earn the descent.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

not

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    I think that's a big reason to hate Kleins. Slotted cable stops make cable lubing easy. Internal cable routing makes for a slow and aggravating procedure.
    Another reason: The huge pile of busted one-piece bar/stem combos I once saw in a sponsor's support van. Several dozen of them, minimum, all from one team.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    I think that's a big reason to hate Kleins. Slotted cable stops make cable lubing easy. Internal cable routing makes for a slow and aggravating procedure.
    Another reason: The huge pile of busted one-piece bar/stem combos I once saw in a sponsor's support van. Several dozen of them, minimum, all from one team.

Please, anyone.....sell me your piece of crap mission control stem. I need 120m(4 3/4 inch) no rise mission control. I will pay very good money for it. I will buy your whole bike if needed. This stem is usually found on the small / extra small frames. thanks.