mtbr member

Don't people read Craigslist ads thoroughly?

Okay, have to rant a little. I've had good experience selling bike stuff on CL in the past. I'm usually very thorough in my description and am always happy to answer any questions an interested buyer may have. Sometimes a buyer might ask a question even though the answer can be found in the ad but just want confirmation about a specific aspect of the product. I'm cool with that.

However, today I met with a person who was interested in a bike I'm selling. First thing she asked if the bike is steel because that's what she's looking for. The ad states it's aluminum, and if she were a smart buyer, she'd do some research on the model and learn that this model only comes in aluminum for that year. Then she asked what tire size. I explicitly state in the ad that it has 29" wheels, and this particular brand up until recently only made 29er bikes. She asked about suspension. Hello, it has a carbon rigid fork, and that is mentioned in the ad. Then she mentioned something about brake hydraulic fluid. In the ad I mention it has mechanical BB7 brakes because I wanted to keep this bike mechanically simple and easy to maintain.

Like most good sellers, I include the bike size in my ad. Yes, she asked what size it was. Through it all, I was very polite and patient with her. Apparently she is into cycling, but she didn't seem like a very knowledgeable bike buyer or one that did some research on the bike before meeting up. And to top it off, she offered a low price when I stated in the ad that I'm willing to entertain reasonable offers but please no ridiculously lowball offers.

I'm not at all upset at the meet up but am a bit annoyed by her questions whose answers are clearly stated in the ad. One or two questions with known answers would be fine, but pretty much every question was like...did you read my ad? Do you know what you'll possibly buying?

Anyway, at the end she offered to give me a Starbucks gift card because she felt bad about being late and making me wait a bit. That was considerate, but I declined. Sometimes I need to stop being so nice and pleasant to people

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    If she can afford Starbuckles she can afford the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

bikes don't have motors
    You assume that most people can read and are not just looking at the pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Gravel bike hate is imagined.
    Sweet.

mtbr member
    People don't read Craigslist ads, or anything for that matter. Welcome to humanity in the 21st century.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

Cycologist
    Was she cute?

(with apologies to whoever I need to apologize to)

Maybe she was looking at a bunch of bikes and was unable to keep track of which was which? But yeah…
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    I never meet anyone until an offer has been made. Craigslist these days, though, has become a cesspool of scammers, kids, and low-ballers, so I've moved on to other platforms.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Was she cute?

(with apologies to whoever I need to apologize to)

Maybe she was looking at a bunch of bikes and was unable to keep track of which was which? But yeah…
    Lol, I knew that would come up. I wasn't paying much attention to her looks. Was too busy admiring the 1up rack on her hitch and answering her questions that she should have known answers to already before meeting up.

Honestly, I was a bit surprised that it was a she. Usually it's guys who answer bike ads or a girl who comes with a guy.

mtbr member
    Here are the questions from my last Ad, and like you all of the questions were addressed in the description and pictures in my ad.

1.This is a road bike, correct?

2. How many inches on the wheel????

3. What kind of brand you're selling?

4. Is this a WOMEN's bike????

Yes, it can be a test of patience.

mtbr member
    Time wasters are annoying. I buy and sell a bit of stuff, mostly Hi-Fi, and most people are brand new but you do get the odd chimp. I remember years ago a guy at work selling his car. He had a tyre-kicker turn up who walked round the car tutting and moaning about every little thing. My colleague got into the car, backed it into the garage and pulled the door down. When the bemused buyer asked "Are you not selling the car?" he answered "Not to you" and walked into the house. Nice.

If people are nice they get nice back. I just send a fork to a guy in England and I serviced it for him before posting it. He'd already paid, I hadn't said I would do that but he seemed like a decent guy so I thought I'd do him a turn. He's very happy with it and my clear conscience is worth more than a few quid here or there on the sale of a fork.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    Lol, I knew that would come up. I wasn't paying much attention to her looks. Was too busy admiring the 1up rack on her hitch and answering her questions that she should have known answers to already before meeting up.

Honestly, I was a bit surprised that it was a she. Usually it's guys who answer bike ads or a girl who comes with a guy.

So, you didn't notice what she looked like, but you were checking out her rack.

You disgust me.
    Is my paycheck just a bribe to forget my dreams?

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    So, you didn't notice what she looked like, but you were checking out her rack.

You disgust me.
    Exactly.

I have to say, "knock on wood", by the time any of my C-list contacts have gotten to the face-to-face point, they have all been good. I have met some really good people and a couple that have become friends. You need to weed them out with phone contact, first.

I guess we all have different ways of dealing with people that cross our paths. One c-list guy in particular came to look at a small ATV trailer I had. He saw the couple of boats I had and we started chatting it up. John was his name. An older guy, late 60's, early 70's and really interested in doing some offshore fishing as he had just gone through a pretty tough bout with cancer and was on the rebound. He had a lot he wanted to get done now that he was finally feeling better. We talked for a couple hours that day in my driveway and even though he lowballed the shit out of me on the trailer, we haggled and came to a deal that worked for both of us. That's just the way he was. By the time we parted ways that day, it was like we had been old friends for decades. He was that easy of a guy. He called me quite a bit in the next few weeks and asked for my help and knowledge in finding a good boat so I shopped it for him. He invited me into his home, showed me his shop and an incredible f'ing Dodge blown gas dragster he built from scratch that was sitting in massive car trailer. The entire car was sanitized. Absolutely perfect and literally spotless throughout, even the drivetrain. In the coming weeks I found him a boat that he bought and he did some really bitchen mods to it and got it out on a local lake for a shakedown before he and I got it on the ocean. The plan was to cruise the ocean in the next week and we were both really looking forward to doing it together. A few days later he called and we talked for a long time, just about stuff, and then he told me he was going in to the doc because he wasn't feeling all that good. The next day he called and said the doc put him the hospital for some treatments, but only for a couple days then he'd be out. I told him I was holding him to that promise. A few days went by and I called to see how he was doing and got his wife and she told me John had passed away in the hospital as his cancer had made an aggressive comeback. I was devastated. And all that from a simple craigslist transaction. I'm no doubt richer from that transaction and those few short months we knew each other. Had I only known that little trailer was worth so much!

mtbr member
    I didn't even know it was possible to not pay attention to a woman's looks.

Should have snagged that gift card at least!
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by tealy View Post

Apparently some have that ability, not me.

I’m amazed that in this day and age a women met up with a total stranger alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by tealy View Post

I think that was an invitation for OP to invite her out for coffee. Which is also why she asked so many questions. And why her rack was prominently on display.

Dear Penthouse…

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Exactly.

I have to say, "knock on wood", by the time any of my C-list contacts have gotten to the face-to-face point, they have all been good. I have met some really good people and a couple that have become friends. You need to weed them out with phone contact, first.

I guess we all have different ways of dealing with people that cross our paths. One c-list guy in particular came to look at a small ATV trailer I had. He saw the couple of boats I had and we started chatting it up. John was his name. An older guy, late 60's, early 70's and really interested in doing some offshore fishing as he had just gone through a pretty tough bout with cancer and was on the rebound. He had a lot he wanted to get done now that he was finally feeling better. We talked for a couple hours that day in my driveway and even though he lowballed the shit out of me on the trailer, we haggled and came to a deal that worked for both of us. That's just the way he was. By the time we parted ways that day, it was like we had been old friends for decades. He was that easy of a guy. He called me quite a bit in the next few weeks and asked for my help and knowledge in finding a good boat so I shopped it for him. He invited me into his home, showed me his shop and an incredible f'ing Dodge blown gas dragster he built from scratch that was sitting in massive car trailer. The entire car was sanitized. Absolutely perfect and literally spotless throughout, even the drivetrain. In the coming weeks I found him a boat that he bought and he did some really bitchen mods to it and got it out on a local lake for a shakedown before he and I got it on the ocean. The plan was to cruise the ocean in the next week and we were both really looking forward to doing it together. A few days later he called and we talked for a long time, just about stuff, and then he told me he was going in to the doc because he wasn't feeling all that good. The next day he called and said the doc put him the hospital for some treatments, but only for a couple days then he'd be out. I told him I was holding him to that promise. A few days went by and I called to see how he was doing and got his wife and she told me John had passed away in the hospital as his cancer had made an aggressive comeback. I was devastated. And all that from a simple craigslist transaction. I'm no doubt richer from that transaction and those few short months we knew each other. Had I only known that little trailer was worth so much!
    Wow, bummer. But glad you enjoyed your time together and I'm sure your friendship meant a lot to him.

I sold something on CL, can't remember what. I spoke on the phone to a lady who was interested. I noticed the phone number showed as being from Summerville, GA. and her name was Mittie. Summerville is a very small town where my great uncle and aunts used to live, one of whom was named Mittie, though she had us call her "Aunt Martha" because she liked that better. They sold the old farm back in the late '80s and moved into a nursing home.

The lady wanted what I was selling and had her son pick it up. For some reason I don't recall, I corresponded with her and asked her about her living in Summerville and that I had had family there. As you have probably guessed, ended up she and her husband had bought my family's old farm house. We talked about the house, the people who owned it between us made a lot of changes. I scanned in some old photos I had and emailed them to her. She invited me to come visit but I never did (it's about a two hour drive). But every now and then I think I should contact her and see if my mom and me could go see the place.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    I never meet anyone until an offer has been made. Craigslist these days, though, has become a cesspool of scammers, kids, and low-ballers, so I've moved on to other platforms.
    What do you want for the platform? I could send you a cashier's check, or deposit it directly into your account.

mtbr member
    I can't stand Craigslist but for selling bigger heavier stuff it is still the easiest option. I hate waiting around for people not to show up and then when they do show up have no idea what they are buying. Ebay is great for smaller stuff because you never have to deal or wait around for people. You do get stupid emailed questions but you can just delete them and move on.

mtbr member
    But on ebay you loose over ten-percent of your money! I try and sell locally first, then eBay, unless it's an item that will sell for a lot more on eBay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Okay, have to rant a little. I've had good experience selling bike stuff on CL in the past. I'm usually very thorough in my description and am always happy to answer any questions an interested buyer may have. Sometimes a buyer might ask a question even though the answer can be found in the ad but just want confirmation about a specific aspect of the product. I'm cool with that.

However, today I met with a person who was interested in a bike I'm selling. First thing she asked if the bike is steel because that's what she's looking for. The ad states it's aluminum, and if she were a smart buyer, she'd do some research on the model and learn that this model only comes in aluminum for that year. Then she asked what tire size. I explicitly state in the ad that it has 29" wheels, and this particular brand up until recently only made 29er bikes. She asked about suspension. Hello, it has a carbon rigid fork, and that is mentioned in the ad. Then she mentioned something about brake hydraulic fluid. In the ad I mention it has mechanical BB7 brakes because I wanted to keep this bike mechanically simple and easy to maintain.

Like most good sellers, I include the bike size in my ad. Yes, she asked what size it was. Through it all, I was very polite and patient with her. Apparently she is into cycling, but she didn't seem like a very knowledgeable bike buyer or one that did some research on the bike before meeting up. And to top it off, she offered a low price when I stated in the ad that I'm willing to entertain reasonable offers but please no ridiculously lowball offers.

I'm not at all upset at the meet up but am a bit annoyed by her questions whose answers are clearly stated in the ad. One or two questions with known answers would be fine, but pretty much every question was like...did you read my ad? Do you know what you'll possibly buying?

Anyway, at the end she offered to give me a Starbucks gift card because she felt bad about being late and making me wait a bit. That was considerate, but I declined. Sometimes I need to stop being so nice and pleasant to people

I still get value out of selling through Craigslist, but on buyer being late? No way. If they are not there within 5 minutes of time I leave.

I select a public place that is 5 minutes from my house or the local police station parking lot, which is 10 minutes away.

A recent Clist experience started out poorly where the buyer contacted me with low ball offer on wheelset. I still responded firm, and this went on for 3 days--then stops. The next week he contacts me and will pay my firm price but has to be that night.

His communications were filled with errors (unlike my perfect spelling), and he seemed a bit off but for whatever reason my gut told me that he was legitimate and will show up and pay. I met him at the police station, he was right on time, and it was obvious that he was a very nice guy and that he was not a native english speaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I haven't really had any sketchy people show up. Main issue is that people don't show up on time or text you 5 times changing the time that they will be there. I have been so desperate to get rid of stuff (mainly bulky kids stuff that isn't worth much) that I would put up with it since it was usually a new mom coming by. But I still sell smaller stuff on ebay. You get a much larger pool of buyers and don't have to wait around for them which makes up for the fees.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop_Power View Post
    I haven't really had any sketchy people show up.
    Not often but I have had guys I didn't want to let in the house. In fact I typically get people to come to the back door so they only come into the kitchen.

Bikesexual
    No way I meet people at my place.
    Always at the gas station where they know me, and there is usually a Sheriff eating nasty Arco hot dogs.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    What do you want for the platform? I could send you a cashier's check, or deposit it directly into your account.
    The platform is worth about $8200, but I'll cut you a deal at $7452 since you were so quick to respond. A cashier's check is fine, just understand that you cannot pickup the platform until the check fully clears the bank, which takes about two standard weeks. Be sure to get the check the check cut for $7252 as you will need to forward $200 in unmarked $5 US bills to my PO box to cover platform shipping prep charges.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop_Power View Post
    I haven't really had any sketchy people show up. Main issue is that people don't show up on time or text you 5 times changing the time that they will be there. I have been so desperate to get rid of stuff (mainly bulky kids stuff that isn't worth much) that I would put up with it since it was usually a new mom coming by. But I still sell smaller stuff on ebay. You get a much larger pool of buyers and don't have to wait around for them which makes up for the fees.
    eBay is another platform I have largely abandoned due to scammers. I'm currently using Amazon for shippable stuff that doesn't sell well locally. What I really like about Amazon is that you can set a price you want, and if it's reasonable (10% or more below new), you will sell it quickly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    If she can afford Starbuckles she can afford the bike.
    hey now. It was a gift card. i must have 7-9 starbucks gift cards, accumulated from managers at work as thank-yous for jobs well done. I don't go to starbucks, and have handed one out here and there to friends. especially those on a tight budget or are about to make a long night drive back home after a visit

As for CL buyers, yeah, they generally suck. Stoopid.

eric
    fresno, ca.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    ... there is usually a Sheriff eating nasty Arco hot dogs.
    lol

mtbr member
    I think I am becoming a hoarder. Not because I collect and stash things but the fact that I hate selling things. I used to make money selling car parts on ebay from the mechanic shops I worked for. but that was years ago and ebay sucks for sellers now. So I was on CL a few years ago selling some nissan parts I had laying around. I had a Borla 350z cat back. I would get people calling and asking if it fits this car or that car. Would it fit my Mustang? No.

You can put what ever you want in an ad and the only people that call are morons. its $400 firm. will you take $50? However there is a strategy to this. some friends of mine buy stuff all the time on CL. they get together and call the person over and over giving them really low ball offers. so if its for sale for $500 they call and offer $150-175. Then after a while one will call and offer $250-300 and the person tends to give in.
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad.

mtbr member
    sold an aftermarket rear bumper off my jeep to a guy about 6 months ago. Didn't know him from Adam when we started the transaction. When we met to pull it off my Jeep and install on his, he told me I looked familiar. We started talking and long story short, we are in the same jeep club(very large...like 4000 members) and we had actually wheeled together at an event about 3 months prior. I have pics of him and his girlfriend.....driving directly behind me. Anyway he was a really nice guy so threw in some aftermarket backup lights and a gas can toolbox gratis. We are FB friends now as well.

mtbr member
    I have almost stopped using CL completely. I don't know what it is, but people who shop there seem to be extremely fickle and/or don't have the money for things they are texting you about. I recently sold something on there for $125 (not a ton of money and it was a good deal) and I had 5 people text me saying they wanted them, and then completely fell off the radar. A couple of them even did the whole "hold onto them for me until I can meet up" thing.

I get it, sometimes you get a goofball who texts and then changes his mind. That's fine... but 5 people on 1 item in a matter of a few days?

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    People don't read anything thoroughly.

As an example, I only read the title of this thread before posting.

mtbr member
    I just had breakfast.
    One gear is all you need.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Exactly.

That's a nice story. I certainly have met some good people through CL as a seller, but I generally prefer to sell and forget, but sometimes the buyer might call or email back to give an update on their purchase. A couple of years ago I finally sold my beloved '89 Volvo 240 wagon. Maybe because I was an honest seller or that I took care of my car or perhaps it was the fact that I love old school Volvos and knew a thing or two about what I was selling, the buyer contacted me a few months after buying my wagon and gave me an update on what he's done to it.

We've emailed each other since the sale about his Volvo, and I must admit I'm very impressed with what he's done in terms of fixing it up (not that it was in bad mechanical or cosmetic condition to begin with).

It used to be that I could sell bike stuff on CL easily a few years ago, but I have noticed that it's harder to sell stuff on CL or even eBay nowadays. No one is inquiring or if they do nothing happens.

Anyway, this past Thursday I had a person check out an SS commuter I was selling. I was surprised it was another chick coming solo. She was cool and quite cute. Unfortunately the bike was a tad too small for her. She was hoping that the size 16 frame would fit her. Man, she had some nice legs! She really liked it and was looking for an SS. She's from Silverlake, total hipster city in LA County. Dang, I wasn't expecting a chick so didn't brush my teeth or wear my best Fox t-shirt lol, so I didn't feel all that confident talking to her. Heck, I didn't even get her name.