mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Don't knock Krypto locks yet (it's ANY barrel type lock)

Hey folks--

Let's be clear here: the pen picking the round barrel lock problem applies to that style of lock. Kryptonite is NOT the only one who uses it. I know Master Lock also does, as I am sure do MANY OTHER COMPANIES.

You may be upset at the possible collusion of all of these lock manufacturers that knew of this for a long time and told no one, but AT LEAST Kryptonite is doing something about it now (they _are_ more than likely going to be offering an exchange service for locks purchased in the last couple of years and a decent credit for locks older than that see http://www.kryptonitelock.com).

I just got off the phone with the Master Lock customer service and the representative basically said--"Hey, not our problem. We're just a _deterrant_." I responded "That's unacceptable." Needless to say, I'm awaiting a call back from the supervisor, who was on another line.

I'll report back what the Master Lock supervisor says in the next day or so.

My Krypto Avenir lock is too big in diameter for the pen trick. But my Master Lock on my wife's bike opened in 20 seconds with the bic stic. Give Krypto a break if they do the right thing (they're new disc lock technology may be the way to go). We may have to give Master a really hard time, though. (Although I did see another poster on the other thread who notified them and they replaced it...so we'll see.).

I don't work for Krypto (or any other lock company, for that matter), BTW.

* Ian *

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm glad I spent a few extra dollars on the Krypto with the combo lock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Master's response

OK--

The Customer Service Supervisor at Master Lock asked that I send it back to them and they will replace it.

On a different bike forum, another guy who could open both his Master U-Lock and his Master Street Cuffs with a bic pen got a replacement from the Master Lock representative of his local bike store. It was model 8197D (Force 5?). He tried the pen on it and couldn't get it open, BTW.

I'm going to ask for the 8197D when I send back this one.

YMMV.

* Ian *

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ijhutch
    Hey folks--

Let's be clear here: the pen picking the round barrel lock problem applies to that style of lock. Kryptonite is NOT the only one who uses it. I know Master Lock also does, as I am sure do MANY OTHER COMPANIES.

You may be upset at the possible collusion of all of these lock manufacturers that knew of this for a long time and told no one, but AT LEAST Kryptonite is doing something about it now (they _are_ more than likely going to be offering an exchange service for locks purchased in the last couple of years and a decent credit for locks older than that see http://www.kryptonitelock.com).

I just got off the phone with the Master Lock customer service and the representative basically said--"Hey, not our problem. We're just a _deterrant_." I responded "That's unacceptable." Needless to say, I'm awaiting a call back from the supervisor, who was on another line.

My Krypto Avenir lock is too big in diameter for the pen trick. But my Master Lock on my wife's bike opened in 20 seconds with the bic stic. Give Krypto a break if they do the right thing (they're new disc lock technology may be the way to go). We may have to give Master a really hard time, though. (Although I did see another poster on the other thread who notified them and they replaced it...so we'll see.).

* Ian *
    Not true, try it on a On-guard barrel lock and you can't open it with a bic pen, the cylinder is a little larger and the pen will not go around it right.

TNC
    noMAD man

There's also a Chinese connection.

Quote Originally Posted by ijhutch
    Hey folks--

* Ian *
    No, this is not Chinese bashing. I have and enjoy more Chinese stuff than you can shake a stick at. There is some industry info coming out about how older Krytos did not have this "feature", so that begs the question...what happened? It appears now that this issue came out when Kryto changed their lock assembly source to a Chinese supplier. Other manufacturers of many different products that use this type of round lock mechanism, receive their lock mechanisms from China. Apparently some or all of these mechanisms have this "feature". Maybe some of those Master locks are in the same boat. Allegedly there will be a Bicycle Retailer article that covers this issue. Allegedly, Krytos that are 2-3 years and older don't have this issue. I don't know this for a fact, just passing on what other lock companies and sources in the bike industry are finding out as this story has become public. I work at a shop that handles On-Guard locks, the pen trick didn't work on those. Kryto made Trek U-locks for several years, and I have one of their old ones--pen deal doesn't work on it either. No one probably knows how many designs out there use this particular style of assembly.