mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Does anyone use a chain-ring guard? My ankle wishes I did.

I was out riding this weekend and slipped off a wet, wooden bridge. Ended up with a big gash in my ankle from the large chainring that resulted in 6 stiches and Doctor's order not to ride for at least two weeks (not).

Does anyone have experience with chain-ring guards? I understand they can cause shifting problems on some set-ups.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Flash

Stack Daddy
    Jan 2004

I gots news for you

Quote Originally Posted by Juhs22
    I was out riding this weekend and slipped off a wet, wooden bridge. Ended up with a big gash in my ankle from the large chainring that resulted in 6 stiches and Doctor's order not to ride for at least two weeks (not).

Does anyone have experience with chain-ring guards? I understand they can cause shifting problems on some set-ups.

Thanks,
    Flash
    Your ankle would still be ahurtin even with a chainguard. What you need is ankle guards. Fox and 661 make em. I use the 661's and my ankles thank me profusely. The guards only protect the bone from being smacked, no protection from ankle twisting/ sprains. As for chainguards, if you have 1 or 2 rings, try evil. For 3 rings, Salsa makes a decent guard that bolts over the big ring. No shifting problems with either(I own both). Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Bash Guards rule.... BUT...

Thanks,
    Flash
    You will still feel the pain if it hits you in a fall. I only ride a 2 ring setup with a RaceFace Bash guard. I never, ever, need the big ring. Haven't had one on any of my bikes in three years, and I never miss it either.

A bash guard won't dig into your anke like the teeth of a chain ring, but it can still cut and bruise. You should get ankle guards, or a higher mTB shoe. I have a pair of Shi -mano shoes that almost look like hiking boots. I can walk in them pretty well. They also cover up to the tops of my ankles. Heavier than most MTB shoes, but safety and comfort first.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    You will still feel the pain if it hits you in a fall. I only ride a 2 ring setup with a RaceFace Bash guard. I never, ever, need the big ring. Haven't had one on any of my bikes in three years, and I never miss it either.

A bash guard won't dig into your anke like the teeth of a chain ring, but it can still cut and bruise. You should get ankle guards, or a higher mTB shoe. I have a pair of Shi -mano shoes that almost look like hiking boots. I can walk in them pretty well. They also cover up to the tops of my ankles. Heavier than most MTB shoes, but safety and comfort first.
    I don't ever find myself in the big ring either. My major concern is the teeth digging into my legs - I have avoided catastrophe a few times before, but not this time.

The higher shoes are a good idea - I had a pair of Adidas Hemotomas that were sweet, but they were heavy, so I ditched them. I don't care too much about weight and I dont race so your "safety and comfort first" call will be a rule to live by for me going forward.

Thanks again,
    Flash

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't ever find myself in the big ring either. My major concern is the teeth digging into my legs - I have avoided catastrophe a few times before, but not this time.

The higher shoes are a good idea - I had a pair of Adidas Hemotomas that were sweet, but they were heavy, so I ditched them. I don't care too much about weight and I dont race so your "safety and comfort first" call will be a rule to live by for me going forward.

Thanks again,
    Flash
    Go for it. If you don't use that big ring, you will love the bash guard. You gain about an inch of clearance for going over obstacles, and if you get a Rac-eFace guard, the smooth diameter slides over logs easily. Also, you CANNOT shift over it and drop the chain on the crankarm. There are no theeth to grab the chain. It's like the opposite of a chain drop device.

You should readjust the high limit screw on the front derailleur to make it difficult to shift into the big ring.

I also included a couple picutres of my setup. 2004 StumpJumper FSR XC 25th Anniversary Edition frame. The chain keeper device is a N-Gear Jump Stop. I have made my own aluminum clamp for it (being a toolmaker has huge advantages) so it fits correctly under the derailleur. It has been on three bikes now. I have never experienced the chain dropping off the small ring onto the Bottom Bracket, EVER. These devices are sweet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That is sweet...thanks for sharing. I am definately putting one on.

Flash

rack admirer

You can get lighter ones

I have scars that look like bear claws down my calf from the big ring. After the second time it happened I got a guard that allows the big ring to stay. Very light. Currently using a Salsa version that required no change to the front derailler at all. I previously have used a tooth fairy which I bent and straightened several times. Prior to that, I was bending my big ring on clumbsy crossings.

I use the big ring to quiet my chain on descents and to ride to the trail.

Protect your flesh. This also includes filing off the burrs that come from contact with rocks on many points on the bike.
    MCM # 57

The Tassajara died.
    ... Ended up with a big gash in my ankle from the large chainring that resulted in 6 stiches and Doctor's order not to ride for at least two weeks (not). ...
    Same thing happened to me recently ..
    .. not about to buy a guard though.

Nice thread though ..
    .. the Race Face bit
    looks way durable.

Born on 2 Wheels
    I had the same thing happen to me except the chainring dug into the lower back of my leg. Damn sharp chainrings! After that i bought a salsa chainring guard worked fine, shifted fine but after one month i took it off cause i didnt like the looks.
    -Sam
    "Shut up and Ride"

Santa Cruz Heckler Ano Silver "Silver Bullet"
    Fox DHX 5.0
    Fox Vanilla 130 R
    AWSOME!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by NRSDude
    I had the same thing happen to me except the chainring dug into the lower back of my leg. Damn sharp chainrings! After that i bought a salsa chainring guard worked fine, shifted fine but after one month i took it off cause i didnt like the looks.
    -Sam
    If it comes down to looks or agonizing pain, looks will lose every time!