mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Does anyone on here use the training program on enduromtbtraining.com?

So I just started mountain biking last August and Iím just now starting to take it seriously. Right now Iím struggling to get through a 10 mile ride and not bonking out, if I can. Some days are better than others. I donít plan on racing, just mainly trail riding. I have been looking into training programs and help with nutrition as well and this seems to fit the bill. Does anyone have experience using these programs and if so what is your take on it?

Formerly of Kent
    Out of curiosity, why are you using an Enduro focused training program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Bikesexual
    I'm fairly new I feel still to the sport, as soon as I started life took a swing. Last 2 yrs I've been able to ride more.

I could use a class, but would prefer that in live environment.

With that said, my opinion is just ride! Get a Gravel bike to do some road riding to keep it consistent, and ride as much as you can, find a group with good riders, this also helps a lot.

Main thing, ride AND have fun! Don't make it a chore.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I am not using any training programs at all at the moment. Currently I am just riding and trying to build my cardio up and getting my eating habits right. I was browsing around and this popped up and I took a look at it. From my understanding of the program it seems to focus on building up your strength and stamina for mtbing. If I should be looking at a different kind of training program then I am all for it. I fully understand that it takes time to build up a baseline level of fitness, I just figured if I had a more structured program I would be more willing to follow it. If you have any recommendations I would greatly appreciate them.

Formerly of Kent
    Iíd say that you need to focus on general endurance before beginning any kind of ďprogramĒ. And, at a beginner level, thereís not a whole lot to diet/nutrition. Eat healthy food, and enough of it. Unless youíre diabetic, extremely overweight or have another underlying health condition, a 10 mile ride shouldnít kill you. Your body is built to exercise all day.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    the program is really more towards strengh and mobility ar a full body level, itís a great program and quite demanding if you follow as is, it will help but nothing like riding your bike!

riding the bike is what is going to help you go faster and longer, the training is great to help you avoiding injuries and make you stronger but really not a bike fitness training!

you gotta ride, there is no way around the more the better!

but even as a beginner if you like to hit the gym, and want some other activity when you arenít riding I highly recommend the enduro training, there is now one called mtb strong thatís less focused on racing and more general mtb fitness so probably a better option for you.

you can also sign up for trainer road, but Iím guessing as a beginner you might not want to invest on a trainer and/or power meter!

mtbr member
    Ride bikes. Lift some weights to keep your body balanced. Have fun.

Man I say enjoy your first year on the bike. Don't worry about miles and times and all that crap. Just go have fun and explore and meet people.

Riding is the best way to get into shape for riding.
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The crazy thing is 2 weeks ago I made a lap around the place I ride which was almost 8 miles and I never had to stop. When i would get to the top of a long climb my legs would be burning but they recovered really fast. Yesterday when I rode after about 2 miles in I could tell that my endurance wasnít going to be the same. I bonked pretty early on and had to cut my ride short. Itís crazy to me how you can ride so well one day and then no where close to that level the next time.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Trying not to crash View Post
    The crazy thing is 2 weeks ago I made a lap around the place I ride which was almost 8 miles and I never had to stop. When i would get to the top of a long climb my legs would be burning but they recovered really fast. Yesterday when I rode after about 2 miles in I could tell that my endurance wasnít going to be the same. I bonked pretty early on and had to cut my ride short. Itís crazy to me how you can ride so well one day and then no where close to that level the next time.
    As someone who is getting over some health issues, I recommend working on basic fitness and diet.

For diet, find something that works for you. Everyone is different. I cannot do a keto diet for health reasons, but do well eating sensibly and prolly better on a paleo diet.

For fitness, work on the basics. Riding (and whatever other cardio you can stand), and strength. Strength doesnít have to be weightsóit can be body weight. Yoga is great for strength and stretching. Itís all body weight too.

I do a mix of walking, biking, calisthenics, weights, and yoga to get strong. Diet Iím still working on, but like you, I have to get my cardio right first.

There are enough people out there who want to sell you programs, but if figure out what you need before you throw the money at some random program that may not be necessarily right for you.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range

Bikesexual
    Did you ride in between the 2 weeks?
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Did you ride in between the 2 weeks?
    No. Iím sure that has a lot to do with it but I wouldnít think it would of been that big of a difference.

Formerly of Kent
    No. Iím sure that has a lot to do with it but I wouldnít think it would of been that big of a difference.
    Youíd be pretty incorrect, then.

Ride 4-5 days a week (or more) and your fitness will skyrocket.

Death from Below.

Bikesexual
    Yep ^^ I'm old, 4/5 days without riding, it gets tough.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    You keep mentioning bonking.

That usually means you didn't eat enough before you rode.

Are you eating extra food before you ride? Like more than you would normally.
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill

mtbr member
    you are overthinking this... go ride! there will be good and bad days!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    No and I have been wondering if that could be a issue. Maybe I need to eat more. The day I rode real well,or at least well for me was on a Monday. The Saturday night before I had pasta at Olive Garden. Had left over pasta Sunday for lunch. Made spaghetti for supper that night and brought leftover spaghetti for lunch that Monday. Maybe the lesson here is that pasta is the key to success lol.

Bikesexual
    No and I have been wondering if that could be a issue. Maybe I need to eat more. The day I rode real well,or at least well for me was on a Monday. The Saturday night before I had pasta at Olive Garden. Had left over pasta Sunday for lunch. Made spaghetti for supper that night and brought leftover spaghetti for lunch that Monday. Maybe the lesson here is that pasta is the key to success lol.
    Well, that's the issue, Olive Garden food.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Well, that's the issue, Olive Garden food.
    My endurance was better after eating that than it has ever been. I surely didnít expect that. I was just shooting for making it home from my ride without having a heart attack lol.

mtbr member
    In endurance sports, bonk has the specific meaning of running low on blood sugar. You run out of energy, can get light headed, feel queasy... If you're well fed, you can go hard for two or more hours before this starts to happen. To forestall it happening, it's best to have about 100 cal of sugar/carbs every half hour after starting your ride. A bannana, couple of fig newtons, etc work well. Of course there are purpose packaged products like gels, chews, bars, etc...
    Do the math.

Formerly of Kent
    Yeah. You arenít bonking after 10 miles unless itís an incredibly steep climb the entire time. You might feel tired, or have muscle soreness/pain. But unless youíre capable of producing massive power, you simply arenít burning through muscle glycogen that fast.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Find a local group of riders whether it's through google or your local shop, or just by being friendly and asking riders you see if they know of one. Maybe you start one!
    Anyway, you'll learn a ton, and improve by riding with more advanced riders. There's no motivator like someone pushing on ahead of you to get you to push your limits a little, and this is how you'll improve.
    I'd say a general fitness program for some core and upper body strength wouldn't hurt either in addition to riding as often as you can.
    As for running out of gas some days and feeling better others, it's not abnormal to have good and bad days on the bike. As you gain experience, you will probably dial in a food and rest plan that works for you better to be able to plan for more good days. Also, pacing and learning what levels of effort you can sustain for how long, not getting overexcited and going out too fast will come with time. Make sure to give your body rest and recovery, it's just as important to building fitness as riding harder.