mtbr member

Does anyone else use this setup?

I don't like riding with a backpack so I use a cantilever rack and a "wedge" pack. I've used it for years starting with a Blackburn rack on a Trek HT but had to go cantilever on the new FS bike a few years ago.

The pack is easy to mount and remove. I partially ripped one Velcro attachment strap so now I use a bungee cord to secure the pack and what ever is on top. It has shockcording on the top that I use to carry a jacket or fleece.

I always take too much stuff which makes sense given that I often ride (and ski) alone in remote places. I have to have room for some tools, a tube, patch kits, phone, PLB, inhaler, pocket camera, and, of course, munchies and a beer. An additional outer layer goes on top, goretex if rain is possible.

The rack uses a quick release attachment. The lever is not perfectly adjustable so I shim on the inside and tape the lever closed with duct tape (Duct tape - I bow in wonder of your omniscience!)

Anyone else use a bike pack instead of a back pack?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does anyone else use this setup?-bikepack.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    On non-FS bikes, I actually prefer a frame pack, like the ones made by Revelate.

Though a backpack doesn't bother me, the frame pack moves things lower in terms of gravity, and especially now that I've separated my shoulder, it's good to get things off my shoulder (one so it can heal, and two, so I can comfortably wear a brace).

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Interesting. Where do you carry your H2O?
    Information on the trails at New Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, CA.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Per Revelate's webpage:

"Hydration tube / battery wire port near the front of bag." and

"Tangle's usually leave room for both water bottle mounts. To check, measure the vertical height from the top of the bottle to the top tube and compare with bag height. In some cases you may need to use side entering cages or smaller bottles."

I don't mind water bottles, but the option to use a bladder is nice. Assuming your bikes are all pretty much the same size, one pack should fit most of them, but they only work on 4 bar suspension designs, unfortunately.