Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do you wear knee/elbow pads?

27K views 87 replies 70 participants last post by  pcasso87 
#1 ·
Just curious what people wear, if anything. Knee pads? Elbow pads? Both? One or the other? Neither?

2001 I broke both legs in a car accident. Docs cut open my knees to insert titanium rods. I have slowly made my way back to fitness shape and did a triathlon this year.

Problem is, whenever I get any form of injury to my knees/legs, it seems like it lasts a LONG time. Did something to my knee back in September last year, and took almost 6 weeks to allow me to run again.

This Wednesday, on a 180 switchback with about a 10ft elevation difference, stalled out and cracked my right kneecap on my shifter. Don't know if it was the adrenaline or what, but rode for another hour or so, called it a day. Next day however, I could barely move. Walking is ok, but steps up or steps down is excruciating. Feels exactly like what happened last September. I am worried it will take another 6 weeks to heal!

Regardless, with how "fragile" my legs are to any form of injury, thinking knee pads might be the best bet. I can wrack on my legs as hard as I want as long as its normal movement. (ie leg pressing 700lbs, doing plyometrics, etc. Its if it gets twisted, or in this case getting impacted, that recovery time is huge.)

Just can't say I have seen too many people with much for safety gear beyond helmets and gloves.

See less See more
#30 ·
When I go shuttling with the FS, I wear elbow/knee and full face helmet. Riding the 29r in XC type trails I wear a normal helmet and no pads.

Few months back I was bucked off my bike at 20+ mph. The end of the bar went into my lower rib, my knee slammed into the ground and I bounced off the trail. I had to have been 10 feet away from the bike. If I wasn't wearing my knee pads...I would not have walked away. My knee was sore for weeks after the crash. I guess better a sore knee than a busted one.

#31 ·
I have never known a mountain biker who has never crashed, it's just part of riding. With today's pads it is more comfortable than ever, and if you have knee problems, why wouldn't you. I'm going to slide mine on in a few hour, who knows what crazy $hit we'll get up to today.

#32 ·
No, I've never worn knee or elbow pads.
If you feel that they could be good in your situation, get some and use them. If possible, try before you buy.

#34 ·
While I was out riding last night this thread came to my mind. As I was rolling thorough the local rock garden, some of the "rocks" are taller than my head, and close enough together that I can run my shoulders and knees on them as I go by, yes, my knees have been bloodied by them before, without crashing. Then as I was riding through some thick brushy areas that the sharp What ever they are bushes were wacking me. Actually put a couple cuts in my sleeve and I could hear them wacking my knee pads, this thread came to mind again. Most of the cuts, scrapes, and What not, didn't happen from crashing. Now I am a Clyde, 6'4", 215. So maybe I smack rub and just generally bump into more things than others. But I wear my protection because it protected me, even when I dont crash..

#39 ·
I wear knee pads on most technical rides. I need to save my knees for skiing! I go full pads if I plan on getting in the air a lot.
Since I'm getting up in years, I don't 'bend' like I used to and am able to get right back on the bike after a fall when wearing pads.

#40 ·
ride with knee and elbow pads all the time. Self employed and I cannot afford down time. They are hot and bulky but I wear them anyway. couple of months ago went over the bars broke my helmet scratched my knee and elbow pads pretty good. It was worth the inconvenience and am glad I had them on. Was at work the next day instead of making a copay at the doctors office

#43 ·
*knocks on wood* I have only wiped out twice. Actually said, this most recent hit which sparked my desire to investigate knee pads wasn't even a wipe out. I did obviously put a foot down, but I never fell off the bike. Almost did an endo actually but my kneecap hitting the handlebars stopped that one.

So it wasn't even "don't crash, don't need them" situation.

I am thinking it is just a very easy justification. Its been almost a week now and this bruised kneecap is still very sore. (Was able to do a 2.5 mile run and a 12 mile road cycle this weekend, but it was pretty painful/stiff. Normally those distances are barely warm ups!)

So if I can spend $40-60 on some pads to prevent a 3 week recovery time on a simple knee strike? Sounds like its worth it.

Being a mogul skiier, former alpine giant slalom racer, I am certainly the type of "if you aren't scared, you aren't going fast enough" mentality.

#45 ·
Yup and I use them... I got tired of the blood/scrapes and bleeding on the car seat afterwords...
G-Form
Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

No blood on the car this time^^^^ Me and the bike were done for a couple months thou :madman:

I'm always riding to have fun, so I screw around and sometimes make mistakes....

RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#47 ·
If going solo - elbow pads...

I've noticed the Pro's (on promo vids) only wear knee pads ^^

I need to work on my bail technique o_0

-------------------------------------------------------------------
'GET OFF MY LAWN!! YA DIRTY HIPPIE!!'

#50 ·
i'm limping now!! climbing a hill, went in on the wrong gear and came to a complete stop and slammed over. it happened kinda fast.
i dusted off, laughed and rode off. now my left knee that tapped the ground is sore. i am going to research some lightweight XC armor. i'm not getting younger :(

#51 ·
I went riding Thursday, my normal 20 miles loop. It was really hot. Was doing an easy rock climb I've never missed before. Came to the rock at the top, paused, the heat got to me and instead of doing a track stand and continuing. I fell straight over to my left. You would have thought i was clipped in. Slammed my knee onto the next big rock down. Said Damn it. Dusted my 661 knee pads off and said yep, that's why I wear them. And finished my ride in the heat. Good day..

#52 ·
Never have, and rarely ever crash. Now that I've jinxed that....

But being in my 40's now, and also being as how my work is physical in nature- I really can't afford to be injured. I'm thinking about getting some knee pads for insurance.

Though the thing I hit more than anything else is my shoulders- slamming them into saplings. I might get a torso/shoulder protector. Last bad crash I had my chest landed on my handlebar ends. That hurt for a few weeks.

#60 ·
Probably most people wear em where I ride. And yes, faster, more, and confidence. Lots of comfy, light pads that work well. How many knees does a person have?

#54 · (Edited)
I don't crash much so I don't where pads often. However whenever you do crash, of course you wish you were wearing pads. Crashed today.

What is funny is this morning I was thinking about buying elbow pads and was did a search for a few for regular rides. Oh well, comes with riding mtb. Everyone crashes. Seems like my elbows are most vulnerable because most of my crashes are the same. Turning on a fire road with really loose gravel and front end washes out.

Finger Brown Skin Joint Organ

#58 ·
I don't crash much so I don't where pads often. However whenever you do crash, of course you wish you were wearing pads. Crashed today.

What is funny is this morning I was thinking about buying elbow pads and was did a search for a few for regular rides. Oh well, comes with riding mtb. Everyone crashes. Seems like my elbows are most vulnerable because most of my crashes are the same. Turning on a fire road with really loose gravel and front end washes out.

View attachment 1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.