Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do you use Strava when you ride?

• Yes, I am all about the KOMs.

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Yes, but only to track miles/progress.

Votes: 141 60.3%
  • Yes, but I am the slowest person and its disheartening.

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • I used to but not anymore.

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • I never will.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • What is a Strava?

Votes: 25 10.7%

Do you use Strava when you ride?

12K views 116 replies 83 participants last post by  moefosho 
#1 ·
This should be fun.

#20 ·
Strava is a great tool to measure your fitness. E.g. are you posting personal records or times that are 10% worse than your best.

At 59, there are no KOM's for me, but to paraphrase Judge Smales: "How do you measure yourself among other men?"

When I travel with my bike, I use Strava to find tough climbs to ride and good routes nearby.

It's a great tool and adds to the enjoyment of a group of cyclists like mine, who post their rides.

#92 ·
Except, you need to understand it's not accurate. 10 different devices on the same route record different tracks. What follows are maybe 10 different distances, 10 different average speeds, 10 different vertical meters climbed. And yet the 10 devices did the same ride. How many tracks fit to Strava's comically awful segment fitting algo is an open question.

I realize you "see" the track mapped to Google's GIS, but that's Google's hard work that has nothing to do with Strava's stuff.

Accept it is a time-waster like facesbooking and don't take the numbers seriously and it's all good.

#22 ·
I don't really understand why some people think that strava would negatively impact their ride. It's invisible during the ride and really only becomes useful afterwards. Yes, if you are an idiot and try to set KOMs or personal records on every ride then I suppose your ride is impacted. But people who do that will end up being miserable because for most of us KOMs are out of reach and you simply can't set a PR on every ride. So, if you are a normal strava user you simply use it to review your ride, your week of rides, your month of rides etc. Yes, some people compete but who cares? Some people race.

#2 ·
I find Strava quite useful for my training, and upload my data from every single ride. I create segments for my own use, and am able to track my progress throughout the season -- and over the years.

For example, my in-laws live in Montana, so I only get out there for a week or two per year. My progress over the past three years over the same segments is a serious motivator and reinforcing shot of confidence.

As well, I'm in two (Strava) cycling clubs (mostly guys from work). We track each other and give out kudos -- again, a strong motivator and confidence boost.

Big fan of Strava.
_Matt

#11 ·
I always use Strava to track my km and vertical m. The vertical is adding up like crazy which amazes me. Of course I like to beat my own PR's and will never be a KOM but it's still fun. At 56 I'm thrilled at anything in the top 25%, up or down. I don't take it too seriously and don't care if something interferes with a segment. Mountain Biking is supposed to be fun. If Strava can add a little fun then it's great, if not then out the door it goes.

#13 ·
Yes and I like it. I use it to follow if I get any faster and sometimes going for KOMs. I have a few private segments for bits that I like and want to know more of. I also use it to follow weekly and monthly km's to motivate myself and to make sure I exercise enough. I also check riding hours from it for maintenance intervals.

#18 ·
It's obviously just what some folks want and that's a good thing, but I'm not one of them. For me riding is about being outside and relaxing after the stress of the rest of life. I like to just "follow my nose" and wander down any trail that catches my eye, seldom follow the same route twice.

#19 ·
Yes. I use it to help push myself, track mileage on my bike(s), and see how I've progressed. My name is not attached to any KOM's, probably never will be. I am competitive and I do race. Strava helps me see how I stack up. I don't always go out and ride race-pace, but I still use strava to log my rides. It's convenient.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Nope, don't care how fast other riders are riding.

#24 ·
Strava is one of things I use. I don't have Strava running on my phone when out riding (or running or...) as for years Sports tracker is tool I use, but I do import gps track after I come back home. I keep Sports Tracker as I have big database of all my workouts (for all different sports I do) for years, and I don't like the way Strava is handling such things. But I like Strava for their segments and ease of checking your progress. Strava doesn't need to be about comparison with others, it can be just for you and comparison with yourself through the time, or even just to dial in your bike.
But it's not my problem if someone think Strava is lame. Fine, don't use it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.