View Poll Results: Do you use Strava when you ride?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am all about the KOMs.

9 4.46%
  • Yes, but only to track miles/progress.

119 58.91%
  • Yes, but I am the slowest person and its disheartening.

7 3.47%
  • I used to but not anymore.

7 3.47%
  • I never will.

37 18.32%
  • What is a Strava?

23 11.39%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    using mapmyride now, might check out starva though. i like mapmy... as i have my rides, hikes and runs all in one place.

mbtr member
    I like strava, it's like a social networking tool with built in ride tracker. I like seeing what my friends are up to. I've also found through strava I'm a pretty fast decender in a road bike; any segment I've gone fast on I'm in the top 5% or so. Surprised me, I don't really give a crap about road biking, just like to go fast. Rarely get top 5% on trails though. Following pros and looking at the top times is humbling, so it doesn't make me competitive.

It's also cool to see how fast vertical racks up in the mtb.
    Last edited by scottzg; 09-03-2014 at 01:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Sure do. I like to see where I stand and push myself harder.

I love Pisgah
    Nope. Don't even carry a phone, most of the time even off the bike. Can you imagine?
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    It's also cool to see how fast vertical racks up in the mtb.
    Yup, I think it's my favourite feature.

I love Pisgah too BTW.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Stephen
    Love it!! I live in a small town so that makes me one of the faster guys...how cool is that!! Of course if I ride anywhere there are real athletes I'm stuffed!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I mountain bike for fun and fitness and find Strava useful for logging my rides and discovering new trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just started using it myself (was using Runtastic). I ride the same trails a lot, and it's nice to know if I'm actually faster or just feel faster. The segment comparisons are great!

A little disheartening to see I'm (at best) in the top 25%, but that's how it goes when some clown named Levi is #1.

On the other hand, it has changed my riding these last few times out - pushing harder, trying to set PRs instead of chilling out, enjoying the ride.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1

mtbr member
    I never enjoy the ride..unless I KOM!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Name:  image.png
Views: 117
Size:  139.0 KB
    Name:  37a9166d2af9f2e0d598ec3a974954c2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  13.1 KB
    Name:  9d2b432725893c840703ca08d9d28855.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  10.5 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm surprised there's not much mention of what I think is one of Strava's most useful features, tracking mileage on equipment. I love being able to see exactly how much mileage I got out of a tire or a set of cogs. I like knowing how much time I've put on a fork since the last rebuild. I do think that part of Strava could use some improvement, though.

Yes, I look at my PRs (KOMs, not so much - I've only had a couple, and then only briefly). I like to know if I'm getting fitter and faster - I ride for fitness (perhaps primarily) as well as fun. I look at the training calendar and note where there are gaps to motivate myself to get out more. I look to see if I did more miles and climbing this month than last month. I use the challenges to motivate me (No, there's no incentive to complete or not complete a challenge, except the fact that I made a commitment to myself to get in a 130km ride this month).

None of this distracts me while I'm riding, any more than using any other tracking tool/gps. About the only thing I pay attention to on my Garmin while I'm riding is my heart rate, and then only if I'm on a ride where I'm targeting a specific zone or interval. Otherwise I go ride and look at the data later for my own amusement and education. Most of the time, anyway. I will admit to sometimes trying to improve my time on a particular segment (usually climbs), but only if I can do so safely.

mtbr member
    ^^^agree on miles and equipment tracking. If folks are so anti leader board..just make all of your rides private.

mtbr member
    I started using it these past few months. At the moment I have zero interest in trying to beat any personal records or compare what I'm doing with what other riders are doing, etc. I do like it for keeping track of miles, elevation and calories burned. Sure, it's not 100% accurate but probably close enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex91 View Post
    I'm surprised there's not much mention of what I think is one of Strava's most useful features, tracking mileage on equipment. I love being able to see exactly how much mileage I got out of a tire or a set of cogs. I like knowing how much time I've put on a fork since the last rebuild. I do think that part of Strava could use some improvement, though.
    how detailed is it? I've loaded it on my phone but yet to use it. I have all my runs/rides//hikes in mapmyrun/ride/hike. it has a gear tracker but is run specific and doesn't even have my current NB trail shoes. if starva does that I would switch even though i'm losing alot of history in mapmyrun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    is STRAVA some sort of pasta dish?
    Some kind of old violin I think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't race. I just look at my bike computer when I'm done pedaling to see how far I have gone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thegock View Post
    Strava is a great tool to measure your fitness. E.g. are you posting personal records or times that are 10% worse than your best.

At 59, there are no KOM's for me, but to paraphrase Judge Smales: "How do you measure yourself among other men?"

When I travel with my bike, I use Strava to find tough climbs to ride and good routes nearby.

It's a great tool and adds to the enjoyment of a group of cyclists like mine, who post their rides.
    Except, you need to understand it's not accurate. 10 different devices on the same route record different tracks. What follows are maybe 10 different distances, 10 different average speeds, 10 different vertical meters climbed. And yet the 10 devices did the same ride. How many tracks fit to Strava's comically awful segment fitting algo is an open question.

I realize you "see" the track mapped to Google's GIS, but that's Google's hard work that has nothing to do with Strava's stuff.

Accept it is a time-waster like facesbooking and don't take the numbers seriously and it's all good.

mtbr member
    I don't mind that people use strava but I wish I saw more of these signs on certain trails.

Do you use Strava when you ride?-no-strava-.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post
    Except, you need to understand it's not accurate. 10 different devices on the same route record different tracks. What follows are maybe 10 different distances, 10 different average speeds, 10 different vertical meters climbed. And yet the 10 devices did the same ride. How many tracks fit to Strava's comically awful segment fitting algo is an open question.

I realize you "see" the track mapped to Google's GIS, but that's Google's hard work that has nothing to do with Strava's stuff.

Accept it is a time-waster like facesbooking and don't take the numbers seriously and it's all good.
    Exactly. I enjoy it but understand its limitations..great for road riding but for off road...it can be pretty bad in terms of segment matching and accuracy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I like to track my rides and started out using Runtastic but recently started using Strava. I like to see how I improve over time on different segments. I do think it leads me to try to ride faster which isn't my goal when I ride. I'm mostly in it for the exercise and being away from the stress of my life.

mtbr member
    Used to, kind of over it now....

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I understand it's not very accurate but I don't care enough to get a proper GPS. It is accurate enough to get an idea of where you fitness and skill fit in and to track your KM and elevation. I measure my climbing in kilometers and it's good enough for that. A lot of our trails are understood to be directional and the others are lower speed. Riders climbing a mainly DH trail are always on the lookout for those coming down. I've never had a problem either way around here.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Strava is actually quite accurate if you pay attention to longer segments and if you don't get too worked up over it if you get an inaccurate log from time to time. Guys I am faster than when I ride with them generally end up with slower strava times and guys I'm slower than end up with faster times in general.

If you look at some segment that's a minute long then all bets are off, especially when you use a gps with less frequent location polling - ironically it is some of the dedicated GPS units that use less frequent polling.

I use Strava on every ride and sometimes I go hard and try to beat my personal best or get a KOM or other times I just chill and ride at an easy pace or stick with the group on a group ride. If you don't get too worked up over the results then it's a great tool IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I use it every time I ride. In the beginning it was just a diary of elapsed time, mileage, average speed and a general idea of the route. Now that I'm getting in better shape I'm paying more attention to segment times, PR's and my overall standings. I'm 39, overweight and a former roadie. The fact I am now getting into the top half on a few segments of the more technical trails has been a boost in confidence and a motivator to continue improving, both in technique and stamina. Where I ride there are a ton of trail options, it's cool to use Orux Maps (Open Street Maps data) to get an idea of where a trail goes, Strava for a good overhead map of where I've been and if I'm headed where I want to be (I'm hopeless without a map), my cyclometer to keep me on task for average speed, and racing the sun to get back to the truck before I need my light. Having ridden the same loops often enough I see the inaccuracies of using a cell phone, but that doesn't bother me yet.

I would've loved this functionality 20 years ago when I was a serious roadie.
    2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite
    "It's not us, it's the mud!" - foxhound.rank

mtbr member
    Strava is only as accurate as your gps you are using and the signal. Just like any other device that uses gps.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast