View Poll Results: Do you use Strava when you ride?

Voters
235. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am all about the KOMs.

10 4.26%
  • Yes, but only to track miles/progress.

141 60.00%
  • Yes, but I am the slowest person and its disheartening.

9 3.83%
  • I used to but not anymore.

8 3.40%
  • I never will.

41 17.45%
  • What is a Strava?

26 11.06%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Smartphones are actually more accurate than you might think in GPS tracks: GPS Distance Accuracy Test: Smartphone Apps vs. Dedicated GPS | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    Smartphones are actually more accurate than you might think in GPS tracks: GPS Distance Accuracy Test: Smartphone Apps vs. Dedicated GPS | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog
    I've seen 6.2 and 6.6 miles on the same loop. Samsung Galaxy S5. In the woods, but always a data signal strong enough to download the local map so I'd think the gps signal would be more than strong enough.
    Specialized Stumpjumper HT

mtbr member
    I used to. Friends do. It is good and very useful. However, I am a bit anti when it comes to tech and hobbies. I simply don't want to have to get my laptop out after each ride.

(Maybe its because I am at a computer Mon - Fri)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    I've seen 6.2 and 6.6 miles on the same loop. Samsung Galaxy S5. In the woods, but always a data signal strong enough to download the local map so I'd think the gps signal would be more than strong enough.
    No GPS is going to be perfect. It appears that, with their more frequent polling, the smartphone GPS' follow a track better than the dedicated GPS'. The more frequent polling will also lead to recording slightly more KM's than something with less frequent polling, but will be more accurate for Strava segments.

In the end, the accuracy of the smartphone and the ease of use makes it my GPS of choice for Strava and I just don't get too worked up over any of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Do you use Strava when you ride?

Don't like Strava, do like gps. Endomondo for stats, View Ranger for good maps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have really enjoyed using Strava. Its fun to track miles and see where you stack up. I am a beginner with little expectations so its fun to just go out an beat anyone and even more fun to see personal improvement. I have no worthy KOMS at this point, my best rank on a well ridden segment is 12th which I am pretty proud of. I have learned that track conditions an any given day really impact times on dirt tracks I ride. You can have great rides on soft days but still put up bad numbers, and then the opposite having a weak ride on hardpack days and earn a new PR.

I will admit to enjoy riding while using Strava I absolutely cannot go out competing for PR's on every ride!! I always have a plan like say "today I am going to try an complete a new segment" or "today I want to PR on This segment" or mostly "today I am just going ride and track my route, & have fun". On days I try to PR I cannot ride as long because it eats up my stamina so I typically save those for short riding windows.

mtbr member
    I use it for the same reasons 99% of everyone here. Just to see where, how far and how fast I went. If I think I killed a segment I look at the overall and realize I have a long way to go if I want to be competitive. But really I don't care one way or another. I just don't want to be last.
    The bike doesn't make you go fast.
    You make the bike go fast.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Nah. Strava doesn't measure the degree of fun I had on my ride so I have no use for it.
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

mtbr member

Re: Do you use Strava when you ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Saladin View Post
    Nah. Strava doesn't measure the degree of fun I had on my ride so I have no use for it.
    +1

It would just bring me down to see how slow I was on the climbs

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've recently started using it. Was using MapMyRide and didn't like starva's look. I finally logged a ride and saw the huge number or riders on the trail I took and liked that there was so many more riders on it. I don't have a lot of mtbing experience so I'm not competing for KOM's but I like seeing where i stack up. I ride for fun and exercise but I'm competitive too.

I found a way to link my old rides from MapMyRide so I like that too.

mtbr member
    LIARS!

Ride with a bunch of people, who would all answer like you lot - yeah yeah I use it but only to log miles blah blah blah blah, BUT if you move up the leaderboard on a segment, the next group ride there's always one or 2 who will suddenly ride off the front and conveniently slow down just after the segment finishes.

Anyway, mtb is funner the faster you are, and you'll never get fast without paying with some pain - if you always cruise round, you'll only ever be able to cruise round

mtbr member
    I won't likely ever use it. I don't always bring a smart phone with me anyway. I've mellowed in my view of others using it. As long as it doesn't reduce your courtesy, I'm good.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    While I'm not likely to be KOM I do enjoy seeing where I stack up. I don't set out on a segment to try and beat my time except for the odd climb if I'm feeling good. Instead I focus on riding smooth. This makes me faster and face it going fast down a hill, any hill is super fun. The majority of our trails are understood to be mainly one way. We do climb these as well but are wary of those descending. You don't want to meet another rider 1/2 way across a bridge or log. My riding hasn't changed since starting Strava but now I have some fun stats and look back at some of my favourite rides. I use the description section to make notes of conditions and ego I ride with. Kind of like a MTB diary.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I use it and love it. I rarely chase segments, really just a couple in my local area. I'm not KOM level, but top ten still feels good.

Moderator Moderator
    It's good to see where you are on the leaderboard. It's also good to try and beat your own records. Even better if you make it in the top 10. If you like challenges, you'll love strava. Simple as that.

All fat, all the time.
    Only on muddy trails....

edit...better put this in here or someone will freak out & post my pic on facebook

I ride bikes
    Do you use Strava when you ride?-strava-4.jpg
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123