View Poll Results: Do you use Strava when you ride?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am all about the KOMs.

7 4.49%
  • Yes, but only to track miles/progress.

92 58.97%
  • Yes, but I am the slowest person and its disheartening.

2 1.28%
  • I used to but not anymore.

4 2.56%
  • I never will.

31 19.87%
  • What is a Strava?

20 12.82%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    That feature must be a part of the Premium version that STRAVA is always trying to get me to buy. It's not on the free version I use.

Curious, what are the women who use STRAVA comparing?
    It would probably turn out that most females are more 'well hung' in the KOM and segment times than I am if I compared, couldn't live with the shame.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    A couple of guys I sometimes ride in a roadie group with are big into the KOM and segment times. The competition and edge between them turns a fun group ride way too serious and sets a really unpleasant edge that most of us cannot be bothered with. Plus they tend to do stupid things such as running red lights without checking speed and get too aggressive and pull dangerous stunts in the group. Funny thing is that they are both nice guys but Strava turns them into ***** - we have had words with them but they can't seem to help themselves.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Do you use Strava when you ride?

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    A couple of guys I sometimes ride in a roadie group with are big into the KOM and segment times. The competition and edge between them turns a fun group ride way too serious and sets a really unpleasant edge that most of us cannot be bothered with. Plus they tend to do stupid things such as running red lights without checking speed and get too aggressive and pull dangerous stunts in the group. Funny thing is that they are both nice guys but Strava turns them into ***** - we have had words with them but they can't seem to help themselves.
    Simple solution. When they go off the front, let them go, then change your route.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    very sad set of circumstances......all the hoopla and adulation over PB's & KOM's is truly sad, that is unless your of the P R O level rider that receives compensation otherwise your a recreational rider just like millions of others in the world.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Use it, love it, but then I'm a competitive ba$tard and I'm all about personal improvement in both fitness and technique. I don't push hard for all of every ride every time I'm out but if I'm not getting at least a couple of PR's on climbs and descents every week or so then I know I'm not trying hard enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Strava is really cool if you just use it to track your milage and improvement. I just go out and ride at my pace, whatever that might be for the day. It's nice to see yourself getting faster. I rarely try to PR segments but every once in a while, if I feel good, I might on a few segments that I particularly like. This usually ruins the rest of the ride (because I'm fried afterwards) though which is why I almost never do it.

mtbr member
    Use it...enjoy it. Lots of fun but most be kept on check.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenrats View Post
    Strava is really cool if you just use it to track your milage and improvement. I just go out and ride at my pace, whatever that might be for the day. It's nice to see yourself getting faster. I rarely try to PR segments but every once in a while, if I feel good, I might on a few segments that I particularly like. This usually ruins the rest of the ride (because I'm fried afterwards) though which is why I almost never do it.
    Same here. I use it to track almost every ride, but only to see my accumulative (annual) stats. I find the data-in helpful for personal improvement. I also find the fact that several people have chosen to “follow” me amusing. But most of all, I find all of the standard Strava responses to even the most minuscule examples of one-upedness to be most annoying. KOM’s = less than zero, unless your life is lacking in all other areas.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I use it in conjunction with Runkeeper. I like being able to keep track of my mileage and calories burned on Strava. I like Runkeeper because it gives me my pace AS I'm riding to help keep me on track.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I couldnt vote... my usage isnt an option..

I dont use it when I ride.. I use it after my ride. I use my garmin while riding to look at my data. After my ride, ill upload to strava to see how I did compared to my last ride.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member

Do you use Strava when you ride?

I use it with every ride. It's great for tracking mileage on my different bikes. There are some companion apps showing up that help with tracking mileage of different components on the bikes.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Professional Dirt Sampler
    I use it to track how I'm doing and challenge myself. PR's are all that matter to me not KOM's. In fact a lot of the segments I track are private so I don't even know how I compare to other people.

Front Range, Colorado

Do you Strava when you ride?

No but I sometimes Limbo.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    No but I sometimes Limbo.
    Are there different Limbo standards for the different wheel sizes?

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
    Are there different Limbo standards for the different wheel sizes?
    Yeah, 29ers are allowed a handicap.

THIS is one of my favorite antics of Strava$$holes:Do you use Strava when you ride?-image.jpg
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Trailhead Poseur
    I use Strava primarily to track my mileage. It's useful for tracking maintenance, because in your bike profile you can set when parts have been installed and removed, though I wish it tracked by hours as well as miles. While KOM's are out of reach, I do like to see where I fall in relation to other riders. More importantly, I like to see that I'm setting personal bests because that means I'm improving. Finally, I have a couple of friends that also use it, and we follow each other just to keep up with where everyone's riding.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I dont use Strava specifically but I do use another app to track my rides. I am always interested to see where im improving/need to work on. Also gives me a great idea of how many miles are on my bike so I can do proper maintenance to it. Friends are always asking me how many miles we did, how long did it take or what was the climbing elevation. The app I used does personal rerecords but no KOM like stuff against other users. I only complete against myself.

mtbr member

Re: Do you use Strava when you ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Jovian View Post
    I dont use Strava specifically but I do use another app to track my rides. I am always interested to see where im improving/need to work on. Also gives me a great idea of how many miles are on my bike so I can do proper maintenance to it. Friends are always asking me how many miles we did, how long did it take or what was the climbing elevation. The app I used does personal rerecords but no KOM like stuff against other users. I only complete against myself.
    Which app are you using? I'm thinking of switching off from strava. Thanks
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    I like to keep track of my PR's and push for better times but KOMs are usually out of my reach. It's also interesting to see what other people are riding and use that info to find new trails or connect existing trails in new ways.
    This fits my answer perfectly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Yeah, 29ers are allowed a handicap.

THIS is one of my favorite antics of Strava$$holes:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	916487
    This is hilarious and so very sad all at the same time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Quote Originally Posted by pcmxa View Post
    Which app are you using? I'm thinking of switching off from strava. Thanks
    I'm using Runtastic Mountain Bike. Been very happy with the data points it collects.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironbar81 View Post
    Use it, love it, but then I'm a competitive ba$tard and I'm all about personal improvement in both fitness and technique. I don't push hard for all of every ride every time I'm out but if I'm not getting at least a couple of PR's on climbs and descents every week or so then I know I'm not trying hard enough.
    Getting a couple PR's every week or so? That's 50 to 100 a year.

When did you start riding?

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I use Strava to keep track of distance/elevation/location. I don't track goals or PR's.

mtbr member

Of course , but I've gotten over the KOM , have to upload right away , get upset if someone beats me , pushing it to dangerous limits on public trails , ridings not fun anymore and no time to stop and say hello or help you because I'm on the clock , getting mad at the slow person in front of me and ready to kick them off the trail because " don't you ****ing know that I'm on the clock and your slow ass is going to mess up my time " even though I don't get paid for this .

So now it's about keeping track of my all around stats and the love of riding .

" Are You Satisfied "

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    Getting a couple PR's every week or so? That's 50 to 100 a year.

When did you start riding?

John

About 4 years ago. I'm 33yrs old.

There are many, many segments on the various trails I ride, combine this with the fact that I train hard, 3 days weight training, 2-3 spins on the bike and the odd 5k run every week, gives me the hope that I have many more years before I hit the ceiling. I started racing Enduro this year and my aim for next years season is to break the top 20.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast