View Poll Results: Do you use Strava when you ride?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am all about the KOMs.

7 4.49%
  • Yes, but only to track miles/progress.

92 58.97%
  • Yes, but I am the slowest person and its disheartening.

2 1.28%
  • I used to but not anymore.

4 2.56%
  • I never will.

31 19.87%
  • What is a Strava?

20 12.82%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Dirt Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
    I have never used STAVA, but I heard people saying you can make a route private.
    I thought so too until I saw one of my private trails on their "Heat Signature" worldwide map. I never made them public, but there they were.
    Last edited by Rock; 08-14-2014 at 06:23 AM.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    I track every ride with Strava, except for commuting/around-town rides. Tons of Cat 1/Pro riders in the area, so I've no hope of any KOMs, but it's always interesting to see where I land on the overall leaderboard for certain segments. Additionally, it helps me to track my fitness progress in terms of heart rate, by giving me average BPM for segments. That info by itself isn't very useful, but it becomes useful when I'm looking at the bigger picture, since I tend to ride similar/the same routes every ride.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ride for fitness, and Strava is a powerful motivator. Love it.
    '02 Kona Bear - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I competed in my first mountain bike race this weekend. It was fun but I came away realizing that I do not ride for speed. The challenges I get are from clearing technical sections. I consider myself an intermediate mountain biker and there are a lot of sections on my local trails that I have not perfected or perhaps only clear every other ride. I seek out trails that are difficult and provide obstacles that challenge me to get better.

I can see using Strave just to catalog rides but I would never use it to see where I stack up on speed....because I know that will be at the bottom

For those that use their smartphone as a GPS where do you put it during your ride to keep it safe and still be able to record your location.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have a regular GPS (use it with a topo map) that I use mostly for woods riding, but also grouse hunting, hiking, and Geocaching. I modified a handlebar mount and have it mounted on the bikes' stem, keeps it safe from most crashes and I don't hit it with my knees. Phone can most likely be mounted in a similar manner.
    Hold my beer and watch this!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyLXT View Post
    For those that use their smartphone as a GPS where do you put it during your ride to keep it safe and still be able to record your location.
    Back pocket on cycling jersey. I know lycra and cycling jerseys are not cool, but they still fit to xc bike

mtbr member
    I didn't care for Strava and use Map My Ride now. I only use it track my rides, mileage and elevation gains.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    I like to keep track of my PR's and push for better times but KOMs are usually out of my reach. It's also interesting to see what other people are riding and use that info to find new trails or connect existing trails in new ways.
    This is how I use Strava. I know maybe 3 people who use it and who I follow, but that's it. They are people I regularly ride with so we know how we stack up without it. I only upload to Strava from my Garmin after I ride. I never use it during a ride.

mtbr member
    This thread seems much tamer than expected.
    This is a fun little video for those that don't know what Strava is.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I use Google's my tracks; start it before my ride, pop it in my jersey pocket and only take it out again when I get home. Then I study the satellite map for possible trails.

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    I tried it, didn't like it.

Gnarly
    Nope

Name:  b582g.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  31.7 KB
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I use a Garmin forerunner 305 during my rides and runs. I have mapmyride as well as strava where I upload my Garmin data.

mapmyride I've been using since I have been tracking myself, so it has my lifetime stats. Strava I use to motivate me more.

Sent from my Venue 11 Pro 5130 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Do you use Strava when you ride?-fab8ab23053ad2aa16e635b80344370e18bc28afc7d34038c6368c0fb056fb0a.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I worry that viewing my speed and length of breaks will affect how I feel about the ride afterwards. I would hate to feel great after a ride, only to find that I was slower than usual despite having taken more breaks than usual, and then try to change my behavior to be faster. It might not happen this way, but I know when I used to keep track of miles, I was in a "training" mindset and eventually found that I was enjoying rides less.

I do contemplate getting a strava at some point, but it likely won't happen. Sometimes I feel like I waste too much time taking breaks and I'm often curious about how many miles I cover in a week, a month, a year. So far the disadvantages outweigh the advantages for me.

What is more tempting to me is to get a simple cycle computer. something like a velo 5 that tells me how far I went and what time it is. I hate checking on the time while riding, as currently I have to get my phone out of my pack. I know there are plenty of solutions, but I haven't opted for any of them yet.

Warrior's Society
    I resisted for a long time.....but finally was assimilated into the collective.

I find that it is a great tool....no, it does not make me a tool.

Stepped up my riding a lot in the last 2 years. It is nice to see the progression in my times. To see how over longer and longer rides, how my times have decreased.

I have had some KOM's, and am at the top 1% on a few routes. Otherwise it is cool to see how my times match up against the much stronger people I ride with.

Plus the various "challenges" that Strava posts up are a very strong motivator. I like that I can be in the top 25% on a lot of the challenges, even though I only ride my mtn bike.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

re member
    I use Strava as a tool.

To change tires. ( I named my favorite tire iron "Strava")
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I still stop for breaks if I feel like it without thinking about segment times. I ride fairly technical trails and enjoy seeing how I stack up against some of the very skilled riders around here. In my group there are some very fast riders who are in contention for KOM's but they have no problem waiting for the other slower riders. I got my first mobile phone at the end of Feb and started using Strava at the same time. I enjoy seeing my times and km's but have been amazed at seeing the vertical m add up. So far it has been only positive for me and I haven't met an DB's who take it too seriously.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    No, not when I ride. Only after a ride and I only upload a few of all I do. Interesting to see what people are riding, and to see how my own rides compare.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Will never use it.

Used another app to record my rides just to keep track of millage, elevation and riding time but stopped doing it a while ago.

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Nope

Name:  b582g.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  31.7 KB
    Mmm Hmm

mtbr member

Do you use Strava when you ride?

I tend to look at Strava rides from other people more than my own rides. It's a good way of finding new routes in areas that you might not know that well.

In terms of uploading my own rides I don't upload that many to Strava, only the ones with interesting features, rather than using it as a training diary. I use WKO+ 3.0 for that.

When it comes to Strava KOMs they're a good incentive to try harder, just so long as you focus on the meaningful ones - getting as good a time as possible up a 1 mile climb that gets ridden frequently for example. A lot of the Strava segments are garbage though with lots of duplicates and dodgy start - finish placements to ignore.

The times I try to get near on Strava are the ones for people I know from the local clubs. I ride with them regularly so can be fairly sure they're genuine times with no cheating. I don't pay attention to times from people I don't know.

By doing those two things - sticking to meaningful segments and only looking at the times from people I know that gets rid of the major gripes that you hear frequently about Strava. If your aim is to get a KOM on a 0.1 mile segment but the fastest time was set by someone on a motorbike (literally) that's going to sour your experience straight away.

FKA Malibu412
    I do and because of it, I'm kind of a big deal on my local walking/jogging paths.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I use it to keep track of my own progress and to find new rides. I have no interest in KOM's or comparing my dick size with others

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    I have no interest in...comparing my dick size with others
    That feature must be a part of the Premium version that STRAVA is always trying to get me to buy. It's not on the free version I use.

Curious, what are the women who use STRAVA comparing?
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast