Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Do you lock up your bike?

I'm close to buying my first real mountain bike, likely in the $2000 range. That's a lot of money for a beginner but probably not to people that have been in the hobby for years. My current bike was purchased used a number of years ago for only $40. I never lock it up. If I'm at the beach I can park it next to other bikes, walk away and not worry about it. If it gets stolen, not a big deal because I have another bike that cost about the same. I keep both bikes unlocked in the garage in plain sight from the street. My edge trimmer costs more than both bikes combined. However, I plan on getting a lock and a bike cover for my new bike. It will be locked to a plumbing pipe in the garage.

Do you lock up your bike at home? Or do you keep it inside the house?

mtbr member
    I lock up my MTB to a shelving unit that's bolted to the wall/ceiling.
    I purposely leave my commuter unlocked as bait, should anyone try anything. That thing is junk. I almost hope it gets stolen.

When I go on vacation, the bikes come in the house, and all 4 get locked together in my office, which is locked. I'm banking on a thief deciding it's too much risk to work on the braided steel cable (not chain), and not all the bikes will fit through the door together.

I'd be mindful of locking anything to plumbing, especially PVC pipes.... I'd bet that's easier to cut apart than a decent lock.

Honestly, my main motivation to extreme protection isn't the property loss, it's the headache of claiming the incident and coming to a figure for a bike that was literally built piece-by-piece.

Front Range, Colorado
    OP lock your bike up to something secure and cover it. Out of sight out of mind is my motto. Do not lock it to a plumbing pipe. They can rip the pipe away in a heartbeat. Then you're not only out of a bike but also a plumbing bill and possible flood damage.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

****** to the ski hills
    I would get some bike hooks and bolt them into the ceiling and lock the bike to the rafters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    There's nothing bolted down in my garage except the plumbing pipe, hot water heater and garage door tracks. The gas hot water heater is out of the question and the garage door track is inconvenient and not very secure. Although having the bike up on the ceiling may not be a bad idea as it would keep it out of sight.

The 2 inch diameter copper piping is the best solution.

Do you lock up your bike?-20150426_090638%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Does the garage not lock? I keep bikes in the garage, the shed, the house, the car and often in my office. The doors are all locked, but I don't lock the bike beyond that.

I can't imagine locking up stuff that's indoors, except guns or 5 figure jewelry. And if you have that stuff you probably have the necessary insurance.

mtbr member
    There has been a rash of bicycle burglaries here in Austin over the last few year in which the burgaler has been sneaking into garages and houses and stealing high-end bikes. There is a security video of this creep wearing a mask and sneaking around someone's living room in his socks to steal a bike, supposedly while the homeowner was sleeping. he's going to get shot in the face some time soon (I don't own a gun, but this is Texas), but I do not mess around with that. I have some I-bolts screwed into a stud in my garage with a u-lock through them and a Kryptonite New York chain going through both of my bikes. If anyone tries to steal those bikes, they will have to make a lot of noise in the process.

Police: Up to $400,000 worth of bikes stolen in Austin | www.statesman.com

if you own your home, you homeowners innsurance will probably help you buy a new bike, even if it is stolen from some place other than your home. renters insurance helps too, so get some if you don't already have it.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by HKVACA7804 View Post
    There's nothing bolted down in my garage except the plumbing pipe, hot water heater and garage door tracks. The gas hot water heater is out of the question and the garage door track is inconvenient and not very secure. Although having the bike up on the ceiling may not be a bad idea as it would keep it out of sight.

The 2 inch diameter copper piping is the best solution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150426_090638[1].jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	984128
    I still wouldn't lock it to that for the reasons I posted above. A good garage lock and renters or homeowners insurance is your best bet. If you own the place drill some hardened eye bolts into the concrete slab and lock it to those.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Just drill the floor and put in eye bolts. If you rent the place, its just a 1/4 inch hole that you can easily fill.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    My bikes have always lived inside, garages are too dusty and dirty, less comfortable to work in, and less secure.

****** to the ski hills
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    My bikes have always lived inside, garages are too dusty and dirty, less comfortable to work in, and less secure.
    Wait your garage is to dusty for your bike, don't you ride dirt?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    My bikes collects dust if it I dont ride them for weeks, which was quite often until this year when I got into mountain biking. My garage has a side door with a deadbolt and alarm. The weak link is the garage door which isn't part of the alarm system. I used to have a wifi cam in the garage but it interfered with the remote, so I took it out.

Eyebolts in the ground is a good idea. I'll definitely consider it. Technically the bank still owns the house but that won't stop me from drilling a small hole in the garage floor .

29ers Forever
    I don't lock up my bikes, but I lock the garage door.
    Maybe the best thing for you to do is to lock your garage door and not to leave it open if people can see it from the road.

****** to the ski hills
    Quote Originally Posted by HKVACA7804 View Post
    My bikes collects dust if it I dont ride them for weeks, which was quite often until this year when I got into mountain biking. My garage has a side door with a deadbolt and alarm. The weak link is the garage door which isn't part of the alarm system. I used to have a wifi cam in the garage but it interfered with the remote, so I took it out.

Eyebolts in the ground is a good idea. I'll definitely consider it. Technically the bank still owns the house but that won't stop me from drilling a small hole in the garage floor .
    I have tools and other crap in my garage so the first thing I did was put a sensor on the garage door, and added a key fob so I can turn off the alarm before opening the door.

mtbr member
    I sure do. I moved into my girlfriend's townhouse. No garage. I have to keep the two of them locked up on the patio. Fortunately there doesn't seem to be any crime there. I do keep them under weatherproof covers and they aren't out too much in plain site. When we go away on a trip they are brought inside.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My bike is insured but I still keep it inside. It's not locked up but any thieves would have one hell of a time finding it. I'm renting my house and my renter's insurance only covers $2k and they won't let me cover it for more which is why I bought insurance just for the bike which also covers uninsured motorists if I get hit.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

mtbr member
    I'm the same way, locked garage, insurance and if I leave town without my bike, its then locked up, usually in the house. And im in a small town where there is little to no issues. But im paranoid.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My bike is insured and the frame no is registered. I keep her locked up in our inside storage at home ( behind two locked security doors and another padlocked door. At work I actually park her in my office.

The perks of being one of the bosses

mtbr member
    My bike is laying in the bed of my truck, out in the driveway... since last night.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post
    My bike is insured and the frame no is registered. I keep her locked up in our inside storage at home ( behind two locked security doors and another padlocked door. At work I actually park her in my office.

The perks of being one of the bosses
    That sounds like the old gift giving present trick. One large box then a smaller box then a smaller box then a smaller box and then finally the prize.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Just drill the floor and put in eye bolts. If you rent the place, its just a 1/4 inch hole that you can easily fill.
    Please refer to the post directly above yours.
    Post # 8
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  9.8 KB
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I keep my bike inside. When I get to work, I also bring it inside (two coded locks). Even on a military base, bikes get stolen all the time. I have little to no faith in people.
    Do Fun Stuff

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Ta87 View Post
    I keep my bike inside. When I get to work, I also bring it inside (two coded locks). Even on a military base, bikes get stolen all the time. I have little to no faith in people.
    At ease soldier.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Used to keep my bike in my garage (no door to it) without locks. It was fine for years until some thieves (some construction workers) came by. Bike was gone in plain day. Thankfully, it was not that expensive, was used for about 3 years and got me to upgrade to a better bike. Now my bike is kept in my house!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I guess the best option for keeping the thieving scum at bay is to keep the bike inside and out of sight.

I had a bike stolen from "secure" storage in out apartment block where we lived earlier. That sucked.

I then had it's replacement stolen from the "secure" parking at work. Hence why my baby is sitting beside me right now as I type this in my office.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast