Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bikesexual

Do you lend your bikes out?

A friend asked me to borrow a bike a few days ago, and I (nicely) basically said no.

The main reasons are: the fact that he doesn't ride to begin with, I wasn't going to that event, and I dont fully trust him.

I've been feeling a bit guilty about it, but I work hard for my stuff, and people sometimes just don't care..

IF I was there, I would have lended him the bike, no problem.

Do you lend your bikes out?

Thanks for reading.
    We don't know how strong we are, until being strong is the only choice..

mtbr member
    I used to and still do to some very trusted individuals. That being said that group is about 2 or 3 people after a bad experience. Loaned my bike to someone I thought I knew well and he basically threw it off the side of the trail trying to make a technical climb. That ended it for me, most people just don't care and will abuse it knowing it is not theirs. Ride it like you stole it? Only if you own it....

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    No, if I had the coin to replace something damaged I would but I donít so I wonít. Am I selfish?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    There's only one friend that I would ever trust to any of my bikes. Without contemplation, he's allowed me to test/try his in the past. Hell, I even crashed the dirty little whore on the sidewalk/pavement (everybody that rode it did) because brakes were moto-style (which I knew) but muscle memory just took over in the blink of an eye. Fortunately, only an XT 785 chrome cover suffered which I promptly replaced. A couple Doctor visits ensued over an elbow injury on that one. That hurt! Anyway, without doubt, if anything ever happened, I know I would be made whole again. For others, not a chance. They either don't have the financial ability to make it right or simply have proven in the way they take care of their own shit to prove it a stupid choice. I hold much value in my bikes. They're too important to my fitness and well being and most others wouldn't appreciate that on the level that I require. If I borrow something from you, you'll get it back in better condition than you gave it to me. It was what I was taught as a kid. I've been burned on so many levels in this situation that it's sad to realize how little people give a shit about others belongings they are willing to offer.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    No, if I had the coin to replace something damaged I would but I donít so I wonít. Am I selfish?
    Not at all.

Good feedback guys, yeah its all about the "care" factor, and the fact that we appreciate, and know what bikes mean in our lives. Its not just a "bike". I know this is how this particular friend will think about it.

EMBA Member
    No.

passed out in your garden
    To friends that ride, yes (they know what it costs)
    to friends that dont, no, they can use my "loaner" bike, its the one outside
    always mad and usually drunk......

since 4/10/2009
    If I am not going to be there, nope. That list is as tiny as it gets.

If I'm riding with, then that's a slightly different story. I'd trust a handful of good friends.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'll tell anyone who asks to get the h@#l away from my Bronson, you can't ride the Fatboy and the Dakota D29Team is off limits too! You can borrow my Camber Comp though...
    Bicycles don't have motors.

mtbr member
    This question is mostly theoretical for me, since I don't have any friends that ride. Except my gf, and she wouldn't be comfy on my size large bikes. We have talked about her possibly taking the Captain's saddle on the tandem, and I am not in favor of that, just because I have the experience and she doesn't. So, would I loan my bike to an acquaintance? Not unless I was willing to give him the bike, because I didn't need it anymore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    No. My bike cost too much. Someone else might be careless and bike get stolen fast.

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    just to my son, not to friends.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I let people borrow bikes all the time.
    They're just bikes.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    There are a few friends I have with whom the relationship has far more value than any mtb. We lend stuff both ways.
    Do the math.

Cycologist
    Only if I was riding with them. I might loan one of my road bikes to a close friend without being there.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    There are a few friends I have with whom the relationship has far more value than any mtb. We lend stuff both ways.
    You have some mighty fine friends there, Mr Rager.

Cycologist
    This was a bike borrowed from a friend. I have better friends.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post

That's sort of what I imagined.

Trail Ninja
    I sometimes offer to swap bikes with ride buddies just for plain sections of the trail. Gives perspective to how others like their bike to be set up.

One likes their cockpit long. Their fork wasn't working very well, so it helped to keep them in a low position. It was a nice endurance/cruiser setup. The rider's a local XC pro.

Another likes their fit to be like a SUV, very upright. The suspension was set to be very playful, bouncing off of rocks. It was a '17 Enduro 29, which was a contrast to a '14 E29 for a couple years a while. We have the same weight and height, but I run my spring rate a bit higher. Got my bike back and notice the rear was drifty over choppy terrain at 20+ mph... rear rebound was set a bit fast. The rider's a beginner in his early 20s who's learning fast. Had an old Scwhinn HT before this, which he described as crappy.

Let a friend who hasn't ridden for a while, and has put on some weight, borrow a bike to ride an easy trail that wasn't far from my house, when he visited. I was fixing up an oldie Yeti I had and wanted to test ride the tweaks. As we crested a moderate climb and was about to do a U turn to descend a trail, I hear a nasty crunch. He cross chained the big-big and the torque mangled the chain in a way just made it unridable. Just rode it like a scooter from there on out. Same friend has lost a camera, lending it to a friend (said he's scared of that friend, since he pulled out a katana on him), and asks for loans (generally pays them back). Cali native that tries to live big, wants to strike it rich (network marketing), but is enslaved to min wage jobs. Now that I think about it, I think that might have been the RD that I later broke on a climb just JRA (see attachments).

Rode another just for drivetrain troubleshooting purposes, after being bothered by how they were messing with the limit screws on the trail. Was the weirdest one I've rode:
    - saddle pointed sharply downward (I see sense in saddles pointed towards the grips, but this was something else)
    - stem not aligned with front wheel (was off by at least 20 degrees)
    - the rear shifting was off by an entire gear, skipping in their 2nd biggest climbing gear and dumping into their dropout. Was happy to fix this and the stem, and left the saddle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you lend your bikes out?-ripleyrdripped2.jpg  

Do you lend your bikes out?-ripleyrdripped1.jpg  

We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

One ring to mash them all
    I offer my rigid SS all the time. No takers.
    "Did you really think you could call up the Devil and ask him to behave?"
    ó Fox Mulder, The X-Files

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Funny how that works!

turtles make me hot
    I have a very short list of people I would lend a bike to. Three without me being there and a few more if I'm riding with them.
    I like turtles

Bikesexual
    Damn! Now I need a rigid SS!

mtbr member
    Hell no. I don't even like my wife driving my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    Can we get a glimps of said beautiful truck.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Nat
    mtbr member
    All of my friends have their own bike(s). People who don't have their own bike(s) never move beyond the acquaintance stage.

No known cure
    Never a lender; never a borrower was advice from my dad. If you need a bike to ride, my friend Mike owns a shop and he will rent and fit a bike to you.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Cry baby cry.

slow
    Sure! I have a couple of loaner hard tails for that purpose. Since most of my friends have at least one bike, mine are not loaned very often. Also, most people don't seem to care for my aggressive gearing in the local hills, so they usually only ask once.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No I don't.

turtles make me hot
    I hate it when my wife drives my truck too. She'll run it into a huge pile of frozen snow, destroying the plastic bumper and not tell me hoping I won't notice. She can't back it up and she's the type of person who drives miles and miles with the oil light on.
    I like turtles

fRIDEday makes me happy!
    One evening this summer my wife casually asks me if she can ride around the court with my daughter on my tasty carbon full squish 29er. I am surprised that she was surprised with my response, hehe.

My friends list is short (boo hoo) and they all have bikes that are as good or better so it never comes up. When I have ridden a friend's bike I have always been respectful but also challenged by the improper dialed in fit.

mtbr member
    Nah...

I let a m8 sit on my Enduro mule yesterday, to size it up - as he's thinking of buying same bike o_0

I let my wife ride either of my bikes i.e. technically she owns half of my sh1t anyhow.

My kids, I would let them if I were with them (not really old enough just yet).

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Nat
    mtbr member
    I would let someone borrow my bike if I knew they were generally respectful of other people and their things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    He doesn't ride to begin with, I wasn't going to that event, and I dont fully trust him.
    Answered your own question, I would not lend him a bike either.

It depends on who it is, what the situation is and what sort of mood I'm in ;0) Probably the furthest I've gone was when a guy broke down doing a charity ride.

There is a 50-mile charity ride passes my house most years. I saw a guy standing looking at his bike so went over to try and help. Brought the bike back over to the house to try and fix it, can't remember what was wrong with it, but it was going nowhere. Guy was kinda downcast, still had 37-miles to go, so I lent him a bike. Didn't know his name or anything, just gave him a bike a said 'bring it back when it's convenient'.

And he did. Returned the bike the next day, picked up his bike and a few weeks later he sent me a magazine with a story about how I'd helped him. No money though ;0)

But sometimes it's harder if you know the person! I have friends who destroy bikes. Some of my friends I'd let ride my bikes, some I wouldn't. I wouldn't feel bad about telling them they couldn't borrow a bike, I'd tell them why straight to their face. If they know there are consequences to their actions there is a slim chance they might change their ways.

I keep a bike specifically for lending to friends who might need it. Doesn't get used a lot but it does go out and is nice to have.

MTB B'dos
    OP, not a chance in hell you were wrong or "mean", I would not and do not lend my bike out to but maybe 1 friend as I know he cares stuff, might lend one of my loaner/rental HTs out to one, but not to someone I don't know well or who isn't a rider I know of wanting to "try it out". I don't even rent my rental bikes out without me being there, just not worth it as, well, sadly, people will be people and they will fall and damage stuff and not tell you anything. I've rented a bike to a guy to join a ride and he put the front wheel so out of true (was an older wheel) and said nothing, get back to clean it up, spin the wheel and it's like a taco and he says he didn't notice anything
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I own several different bikes and one of the reasons is so other riders can use them. I ride with a good group of guys and if someone's bike is out of commission I'm happy to lend them one of my extra hardtails. Also, my wife's siblings lives out West and all ride, so when they come visit us, they use my extra bikes and we get some good group rides together.

I'm more than happy to lend out an extra bike if it means getting one more person out on the trail. I've never had an issue of my bikes getting abused or mistreated. And worst case if a wheels bends or derailleur gets smashed - its just a bike.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

Enthusiast
    I used to be pretty free about loaning, but I've reigned things in a bit. Friends would borrow a bike for an afternoon, and it would turn into a week. I also got tired of the constant cleaning and maintenance. Non-riders don't realize the amount of time and effort that goes into keeping a bike in tip-top shape such they are wanting to borrow it in the first place. Having suspension bikes brought back dirty gets old fast.

I will still loan a bike though. I'm just a little more circumspect about it, and sometimes will say no.

Professional Crastinator
    I have a tandem that I am happy to lend. People acknowledge that it is a pretty nice bike and they take good care of it. I also have an old StumpJumper and an Iron Horse that I lend out, if ever anyone wants them. They can borrow my fatbike too. But I won't lend out my #1 bike or my daughter's bike (as hers is not mine to lend). The worst I've gotten back was a bent brake lever. In the best case, washed, with Armor-All on the tires (and not the brakes ).

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member

That Carbon stuff sure is strong eh?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I lent my bike out to a buddies friend when I was recovering from a broken collarbone. Was sad to see that my bike got to ride more than I did 😢

beater
    I donít have any problem loaning a bike to a friend who has a bike of equivalent value and understands how to treat it. That covers pretty much all of my friends who ride.

EAT MORE GRIME
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Yep. Currently I have 4 bikes. I feel fortunate, and glad to share when I can.

Broken Hipster
    You know those "you have to be this tall" silhouettes that you would stand under before you could ride the roller coaster?
    I've got like a 37" inseam.
    My garage-full of bikes are all set up for me.
    97%-ish of the lending issue solved.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Answered your own question, I would not lend him a bike either.

It depends on who it is, what the situation is and what sort of mood I'm in ;0) Probably the furthest I've gone was when a guy broke down doing a charity ride.

There is a 50-mile charity ride passes my house most years. I saw a guy standing looking at his bike so went over to try and help. Brought the bike back over to the house to try and fix it, can't remember what was wrong with it, but it was going nowhere. Guy was kinda downcast, still had 37-miles to go, so I lent him a bike. Didn't know his name or anything, just gave him a bike a said 'bring it back when it's convenient'.

And he did. Returned the bike the next day, picked up his bike and a few weeks later he sent me a magazine with a story about how I'd helped him. No money though ;0)

But sometimes it's harder if you know the person! I have friends who destroy bikes. Some of my friends I'd let ride my bikes, some I wouldn't. I wouldn't feel bad about telling them they couldn't borrow a bike, I'd tell them why straight to their face. If they know there are consequences to their actions there is a slim chance they might change their ways.

I keep a bike specifically for lending to friends who might need it. Doesn't get used a lot but it does go out and is nice to have.
    That is a good story Mr.Pig! A guy doing a charity ride, gives you some confidence he is decent person.

Like I said, if I was there, no problem I would have let him borrow it. Sending my bike away with a non rider, just didn't feel right.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Hell no. Too easy to break something even if not doing anything wrong. No way I want to jeopardize a friendship trying to sort out such nonsense... Much less lose time riding to it.

It was his homie Sergio's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    Hell no. Too easy to break something even if not doing anything wrong. No way I want to jeopardize a friendship trying to sort out such nonsense... Much less lose time riding to it.

It was his homie Sergio's.
    Problem is, itís a double edged sword. If you loan it and something happens your friendship is jeapordized. If you donít loan it, you are looked upon as a dick and your friendship is jeapordized.

Best solution: Sell all bikes before you are put in this situation.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 01-08-2018 at 10:51 AM.

mtbr member
    I've lent out bikes to friends a few times. The most frustrating is part is having to ask for them back.

Details dictate the situation I guess. The reliability of the friend or person is huge....are they going to care for it or fix it if something goes amiss, for example. Are they riders to begin with, or newbies?
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Problem is, itís a two edged sword. If you loan it and something happens your friendship is jeapordized. If you donít loan it, you are looked upon as a dick and your friendship is jeapordized.

But then if you sell it (to a friend!?!? ) those people might think you're a dick when they break it by no fault of your own. Best just to assume everyone thinks you're a dick and go on with your life as you see fit.

I spend a lot of time, money and energy on my bike (only have one) and my friends know this... If any of them have a hard time understanding why I won't loan it out, then that's their issue not mine.

mtbr member
    I loaned out my road bike to a friend for a week. I was out of town and he was training for Leadville. I actually bought that bike from him years ago so he knew the bike. No big deal really. I also have let guys ride my "other bike" a couple times when I ride with them. However I trust these guys and that is what it comes down to.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    As a general rule, no, I don't loan bikes out, but I will under certain circumstances.

I have a handful of riding buddies who I wouldn't hesitate to loan a bike to, but they all ride smaller frames.

I have a couple old hardtails kicking around the garage that I will loan out to people I trust. If one got damaged or stolen, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Last week I offered to let a friend of mine's son borrow a bike. He was back in town on a college break, and I have ridden with him before. He didn't ask to borrow it. I invited him on a ride, and he didn't have a bike in town so I offered.

2 days before the ride, I came down with the flu. But, the ride had turned into a bigger deal and they needed my help driving, so I dragged by sick carcass out of bed for the ride, and suffered through it. I was OK with him riding the bike, but not so much if I wasn't there with him.

In the case of loaning out an expensive bike without me being there, I usually worry more about the bike getting stolen off a car rack more than it getting damaged during the ride. That is usually my grounds for saying no. Especially if the person is someone who couldn't afford to replace it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I don't have a problem lending my bikes to close friends that I ride with, but I wouldn't be comfortable with lending it to someone I didn't know well. Then again, I'm the hardest person I know on bikes, and I'm not gentle on them. If it didn't break when I rode it I'm not worried about my friends breaking it.

Cycologist
    Problem is, itís a double edged sword. If you loan it and something happens your friendship is jeapordized. If you donít loan it, you are looked upon as a dick and your friendship is jeapordized.

Better best solution: become a loner, not a loaner.

Land of the 230+
    If a friend wants to borrow one of my 4 primary bikes, and Ill be riding with him, no problem. For lesser friends, or when I wont be riding with them, I have a number of older bikes to lend (3x8 26" and their ilk). Ive only once lent one of my good bikes to a friend long term while his niner was out of commission for a month - and I was the best man at his wedding. Anyone else would be directed to the nearest bike shop/walmart as deemed appropriate.

Nat
    mtbr member
    If a really good friend demolished my bike it wouldn't jeopardize our friendship. Shoot, he could wreck my car or house even. I'd be more concerned about my friend. A really good friend wouldn't purposely damage my stuff.

No known cure
    I got a call one day that went like this. "Babe, don't be mad but I curb rashed a rim on the (brand new) Audi. I thought I'd tell you now so you won't be mad later".

The spare tire has the same rim and tire so it wasn't too bad.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I hate it when my wife drives my truck too. She'll run it into a huge pile of frozen snow, destroying the plastic bumper and not tell me hoping I won't notice. She can't back it up and she's the type of person who drives miles and miles with the oil light on.
    I got some bad news for you sunshine, it's only 1/2 your truck She owns the other 1/2
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010 C

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    If a really good friend demolished my bike it wouldn't jeopardize our friendship. Shoot, he could wreck my car or house even. I'd be more concerned about my friend. A really good friend wouldn't purposely damage my stuff.
    True, Iím like that as well but some not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetta2010 View Post
    I got some bad news for you sunshine, it's only 1/2 your truck She owns the other 1/2
    Sunshine? This could be the beginnings of a long loving relationship.

Bikesexual
    Note to self: "need a SS rigid XL and never get married".

mtbr member
    If a really good friend demolished my bike it wouldn't jeopardize our friendship. Shoot, he could wreck my car or house even.
    Mmmmm, no. Someone who trashes your house is not a friend.

When I was in my teens I had a friend called Mark who lived just round the corner. I didn't like him much, he wasn't a nice guy. None of us liked him much but he was one of the crowd.

At a party one night he punched a hole in a door. It was made worse by the fact my mother had just had the house decorated. I didn't see him do it but others told me about it. When I found him and asked him about it he went mad and tried to punch me. The next day I was sitting in another friend's house and Mark turned up. He didn't apologize or even mention it, he just sat there like nothing had happened.

It was great! The incident made us all realize 'we've had enough of this prick' and he was 'defriended'. The dynamic of the group changed and we were much happier after that.

As you get older you realize how short life is and have no time for arseholes. So nope, I'm not going to tolerate someone who trashed my stuff. That's not something a friend would do. To do that, someone has to not care about you.

Rides all the bikes!
    If I can't trust them with my bike, they are not my friend to begin with.

I loaned a friend my racing motorcycle when I was short on cash and couldn't afford to ride it. He put in a few track days, had some fun. I got it back several months later. It's value was close to my mountain bikes. If any of my friends launch my bike off a cliff, I'll ask:

1. You okay?
    2. Was it epic?

Yep, too bad for me I made Cliff notes to self and only got the first part ;-)

mtbr member
    I work beside a guy who is about forty and has never had a girlfriend! Still stays with his maw. He has had a lot of very nice cars!

But is he happy? ;0)

Bikesexual
    Yep, too bad for me I made Cliff notes to self and only got the first part ;-)
    haha! good one!

Pro Crastinator
    i'll even let friends of friends borrow my bikes. i've no problems loaning them out. if shit happens, so be it. as long as it was wasn't purposeful or malicious, i don't care. i can always fix it or get another...

Nat
    mtbr member
    Someone who trashes your house is not a friend.
    I wouldn't be friends with someone who would purposely disrespect my property. I was picturing more of an accident, not someone getting angry and punching a hole in the drywall. I don't see the point in being friends with someone I don't like; I'm more selective than that. I'm certain that anyone who I currently consider a friend would be tripping all over himself to fix, replace, or reimburse me for anything he damaged.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sunshine? This could be the beginnings of a long loving relationship.
    ah, I see what you did there...

didn't mean to change the topic. I'd let a friend borrow my bike on two conditions:

1 - they have the means to replace if something goes awry.

2 - they have demonstrated that they would take responsibility if something went awry.

That being said, be it a bike or anything else, I've learned a long time ago that if you lend someone something, be prepared to either not get it back or not get it back in as good of shape as you lent it. If either of those will cause you grief, don't lend it. Treat it as a donation and that way if/when you get it back you will always be grateful. Stay happy my friends!!!
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010 C

Cycologist
    I probably should clarify my response. None of my close friends are cyclist, except for one guy that rides road, I'd loan him a road bike and probably a mountain bike. I'd probably loan a bike to some of the guys I have ridden with in the past, even some of you guys that I feel like I have gotten to know through this site. But not *OneSpeed* as he breaks frames way too often and my bikes would be too small for him anyway. And not Silentfoe as my bikes wouldn't be up to his standards. And not LTZ as my bikes don't have motors. And not Boris because we have trees close to the trails here. And not Picard because he smells. So if any of you guys want to borrow a bike from meÖ maybe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If we are friends then yes, I would have no problem lending them my bike. There is very little on my bike that I cannot fix.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    If I can't trust them with my bike, they are not my friend to begin with.

I loaned a friend my racing motorcycle when I was short on cash and couldn't afford to ride it. He put in a few track days, had some fun. I got it back several months later. It's value was close to my mountain bikes. If any of my friends launch my bike off a cliff, I'll ask:

1. You okay?
    2. Was it epic?
    When I followed you down Pin It, when we had swapped bikes, did you recall how I tried to describe how your fork felt sketchy, when I crossed that concrete V-ditch? What happened to that fork anyways? Heard a few times that you said you sent it back to MRP; was some old White Bros magnetic damper XC fork, right?

I kind of like that non-over-emotional non-overreacting attitude. Reminds me of this guy:

How he crashes by riding into the up-sloped sides of the singletrack... that happens to me more than I like to admit.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    When I followed you down Pin It, when we had swapped bikes, did you recall how I tried to describe how your fork felt sketchy, when I crossed that concrete V-ditch? What happened to that fork anyways? Heard a few times that you said you sent it back to MRP; was some old White Bros magnetic damper XC fork, right?
    I remember the swap, don't remember the specific comment. But then again, that bike was set up so different from what you are used to, everything was weird. I blew out a seal on the damper and sent it back for a rebuild. I'm going to probably build that bike as an endurance race bike. Put on a set of Crest's and enjoy it. That fork does have the magnetic lock, and I think it is well suited for XC style riding, just kinda heavy for serious racing.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Lend it once to a friend so his son-in-law could ride with him, he returned it clean, lubed and with a new chain.

The other person than can take my bike out (even without asking) is my son.

Trail Ninja
    Was something along the lines of feeling like I almost ate shit, since it sort of buckled/choked, rather than rolled out of it straight and smoothly. Before that, we were just doing fireroad and you made a comment about seeing my heart rate on my Garmin, and I was checking out your camera+light. I dunno, I couldn't make sense of it with just one experience. Could be flex and bushing bind, and simply taking the stiffer forks I was used to for granted. When looking back on it, I was just glad that your stretched riding position kept me low, so I didn't go OTB. Have only ridden Pikes and 36s through that ditch for years, usually much faster than how fast I rode your bike through.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Lend it once to a friend so his son-in-law could ride with him, he returned it clean, lubed and with a new chain.
    ...after which it no longer shifted right since the old chain was ďmarriedĒ to the ring and cogs.

Kidding. That was thoughtful of him.

...after which it no longer shifted right since the old chain was ďmarriedĒ to the ring and cogs.

Which begs the question, why did he replace it. First rule of fight club: "Ya don't mess with a mans chain"

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    usually much faster than how fast I rode your bike through.
    E29 is much better suited for that. Exploration is way more fun on the E.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Which begs the question, why did he replace it. First rule of fight club: "Ya don't mess with a mans chain"
    Very suspicious.

hehehe, happened like that.

He said that he noticed chain stretch while cleaning it and had one home so he swapped it, is the thought that counts, right?

mtbr member
    I let my son borrow (swap to) my bike on an easy section of trail, and within 5 minutes he went OTB! "My" bike is now off limits to everyone. I have a few other older jankier bikes that I would loan out, but not one of my good ones anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    He said that he noticed chain stretch while cleaning it and had one home so he swapped it, is the thought that counts, right?
    I suppose.

mtbr member
    I probably should clarify my response. None of my close friends are cyclist
    This is a key difference for me. I have some very good friends who don't have a clue about bikes. A lot of my non-riding friends consider me "the bike guy" that they know. Most of their experience with bikes are of the big box variety.

When the sum total of someone's experience involves a huffy where nothing works properly, and shit breaks and falls off at regular intervals, I don't want them using my stuff, since they generally don't know what it is worth, or how to treat it.

And I often get asked to lend people bikes that are going on some boy scout trip with their kid where 20 bikes get thrown in a utility trailer and roped together for a trip down some 20 mile long washboard gravel road to the trail head with all the bikes rubbing and clanging together.

I have couple of 20 year old hardtails that I will loan out on occasions like this, and even then, I set some expectations on their use and transport. Very little chance I am letting one of my more expensive bikes out of my sight to an inexperienced rider, regardless of how good of a friend it is.

Pro Crastinator
    i'm surprised at all the people who would rather lend their friend an old ass clapped out bike. why not make your friends riding experience as enjoyable as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    i'm surprised at all the people who would rather lend their friend an old ass clapped out bike. why not make your friends riding experience as enjoyable as possible?
    As opposed to a newer less ass clapped out bike?

Pro Crastinator
    most here say they would only lend out some 20 year old hardtail kind of bike. i like my friends and would rather they don't need dental work after a ride...

most here say they would only lend out some 20 year old hardtail kind of bike. i like my friends and would rather they don't need dental work after a ride...
    Friends such as you are hard to come by.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't be friends with someone who would purposely disrespect my property. I was picturing more of an accident, not someone getting angry and punching a hole in the drywall.
    It was a door he trashed but anyway..

Some people just don't look after things. I have a friend who lent his brother-in-law his bike and he left it lying outside in the rain. Not for an hour, he just left it there.

An accident is different. I have a friend who didn't have a mountain bike and I lent him my spare bike a few times so he could come out with us. I never worried about him crashing it as that's what mountain bikes are for. It's people who abuse things I have no time for.

Bikesexual
    Some people just don't look after things.
    That was exactly my concern (OP here) - If I can transport the bike both ways, and ride with the person I'm lending the bike to, I have no problem.

This particular friend, is a good guy, but I also know he gets into a bit of trouble. I had signed up for a ride on FB, and all of the sudden he was attending, which was weird because again, he doesn't own a bike or ride at all. I couldn't make it, but the night before he asked me about it via FB.

My thoughts were:

How was he going to get the bike there?
    Do I have to bring the bike to him? most likely, he doesn't have a rack, and he drives what I drive - Mazda3

How/when would I get my bike back?

Would I get some funky story, and no bike.

I think if it was the buddy I ride with often, I would have thought differently, he knows bikes, he rides, he understands what they cost, and what effort I've put into this hobby.

Nat
    mtbr member
    It's people who abuse things I have no time for.
    Same.

mtbr member

My thoughts were:

How was he going to get the bike there?
    Do I have to bring the bike to him? most likely, he doesn't have a rack, and he drives what I drive - Mazda3

How/when would I get my bike back?

Would I get some funky story, and no bike.
    My thought would be:

It doesn't matter because I'm not lending him my bike :0)

mtbr member
    I have a older 26 hard tail I will loan out. I occasionally ride it so I know it rides well No more others. That last time I loaned to a riding friend , a fully , it came back with a couple of broken spokes and he didn't bother to tell me . WTF. Nice friends.
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

When I was in my teens I had a friend called Mark who lived just round the corner. I didn't like him much, he wasn't a nice guy. None of us liked him much but he was one of the crowd.

At a party one night he punched a hole in a door. It was made worse by the fact my mother had just had the house decorated. I didn't see him do it but others told me about it. When I found him and asked him about it he went mad and tried to punch me. The next day I was sitting in another friend's house and Mark turned up. He didn't apologize or even mention it, he just sat there like nothing had happened.
    Today I learned that "friend" is slang for "wanker."

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    No unfortunately I only own 1 nice bike to begin with and its for me

Pro Crastinator
    Friends such as you are hard to come by.
    not necessarily. the vibe you put out is who you attract and surround yourself with. i can honestly say there are no people in the circles i hang with, who wouldn't do the same for someone else. a bike, a dirtbike, a guitar, a drone whatever. they are all replaceable...

mtbr member
    Can we get a glimps of said beautiful truck.
    It's not because I worry about the truck. It's because I worry about her safety. It's not the greatest truck out there. heres the truck
    Do you lend your bikes out?-bronco.jpg

I had a high power wrx back in the day. Let my friend drive it. Took off from a light power shifted into 2nd and blew the transmission. Cost almost $5k for a rebuild. But that's because I went with a fancy gearset. But I never saw a dime. Didn't even pay for towing. After that nobody but me drove the car. Also most people couldn't with the race clutch.

mtbr member
    Today I learned that "friend" is slang for "wanker."
    Not always but was in his case. I haven't seen the guy in thirty-years but I heard about five years ago that he'd killed himself.

It's not because I worry about the truck. It's because I worry about her safety. It's not the greatest truck out there. heres the truck
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bronco.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	1177295

I had a high power wrx back in the day. Let my friend drive it. Took off from a light power shifted into 2nd and blew the transmission. Cost almost $5k for a rebuild. But that's because I went with a fancy gearset. But I never saw a dime. Didn't even pay for towing. After that nobody but me drove the car. Also most people couldn't with the race clutch.
    That's not a truck it's an SUV / Bronco.

The dude shifting into 2nd and blowing the tranny, either that tranny was ready to go or he slammed that gear with full throttle shifting. Speeed shifting as you know.

mtbr member
    My experience has been that loaning out one of my well maintained 20 year old hard tails is still light years better than the POS huffy that many these guys are used to. Pretty used to receiving comments like "man that bike is awesome." I put in many years and probably 10s of thousands of happy miles on those bikes, so it's more than enough bike for a beginner.

If one of those guys showed some serious interest in the sport, I'd let them ride one of my nicer bikes if I was taking them out on a ride and could give them some pointers on how to shift properly, give them some riding tips etc.

But, turning somebody inexperienced loose and unsupervised on a bike where the front wheel is worth more than any bike they've ever owned, isn't a great idea in my estimation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast