Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Speeed shifting as you know.
    It was a straight dump the clutch WOT shift. Easily prevented if you knew what you were doing. It was more than 10 years ago. We are still friends but I never let it go. And he can't ride my bike.

C8N
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    My cheapo HT? Yes
    My FS? Hmm... if they were a regular rider I think I would.

mtbr member
    Only to homeless people that really need a 'temporary' ride.
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

mtbr member
    Surprisingly, I lend out my Santa Cruz, but not my old Schwinn.

The Homegrown will never be lent out for any reason.
    One gear is all you need.

mtbr member
    I would loan out my Pivot or any other bike in the stable, no problem. I've had friends loan nice bikes to me for my guests to use and I'm happy to return the favor. I know my friends would pay to fix any damage but even if not bikes are easy and relatively cheap to repair.

I would NOT loan out my 91 VW Westfalia or my 100-yr anniversary Kamaka ukulele.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    After reading this thread again, I need to send my riding buddy another "thank you" or buy him a six pack at least. Last summer he lent me his almost brand new Yeti for almost two weeks while my busted wheel was being repaired. He does not even know where I live let alone my last name. All he has is a phone number.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yes and No, there are conditions with borrowing the bike.
    Last time someone asked, I said yes with the condition the bike being returned the same way as he picked it up.....if it got stolen he would owe me a bike.

He decided not to borrow it and never asked again, interesting isn't it......

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    After reading this thread again, I need to send my riding buddy another "thank you" or buy him a six pack at least. Last summer he lent me his almost brand new Yeti for almost two weeks while my busted wheel was being repaired. He does not even know where I live let alone my last name. All he has is a phone number.
    If he doesn't know any of that, how did he loan it to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    If he doesn't know any of that, why did you give it back?
    Bicycles don't have motors.

Pro Crastinator
    since they ride together, he likely gave it to him at the trailhead...

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    since they ride together, he likely gave it to him at the trailhead...
    Ahhh.. you've got that problem solver mentality.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    He texted me to meet up for a ride, I told him I had cracked my rim and he offered to bring his second bike. So I met him at the trail and gave it back to him at a strip mall that is on his way to his house. And yes, I do not know where he lives either but I do know his last name! The crazy thing is that since our schedules do not sync often, we ride maybe once every 3 months meaning I rarely see him more than 4 times a year, max maybe 5 times. This has been going on for around 4 years now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If he doesn't know any of that, why did you give it back?
    LoL. He is an excellent riding buddy. We are closely matched in speed and the sections I am weak on, he is strong and vice versa. This makes our rides very challenging since we both have to push to not get dropped.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    To friends that ride, yes (they know what it costs)
    to friends that dont, no, they can use my "loaner" bike, its the one outside
    Totally agree with you

He texted me to meet up for a ride, I told him I had cracked my rim and he offered to bring his second bike. So I met him at the trail and gave it back to him at a strip mall that is on his way to his house. And yes, I do not know where he lives either but I do know his last name! The crazy thing is that since our schedules do not sync often, we ride maybe once every 3 months meaning I rarely see him more than 4 times a year, max maybe 5 times. This has been going on for around 4 years now.
    That's a rare friend and a standup dude.

MTB B'dos
    I guess this thread illustrates just how miss-used the word "friend" is, most of use have lots of acquaintances, but not many true friends.

Funny how all of a sudden they're not as eager huh Thing to me that's weird is that to me, I would expect nothing less if I was to borrow anyone elses anything

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Vicente View Post
    Last time someone asked, I said yes with the condition the bike being returned the same way as he picked it up.....if it got stolen he would owe me a bike.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

turtles make me hot
    Not bikes but on the rare occasion I had to borrow a tool from someone, I always returned it better than they gave it to me. That may have meant cleaned and lubed, maybe a minor repair or with a new blade or whatever consumable part I may have used.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I think if anyone let's another person borrow their bike they should understand that it's a mountain bike and yes there is a risk/chance of it getting damaged out on the trail. All of us who ride may have experienced a few crashes or mechanical issues. How should letting someone borrowing it not be any different?

With that said I have never loaned my bike to anyone not even my closest of friends, there are just too many reasons why I choose not to for example: Unexpected rides...like the weather just got perfect and I'm off or free from any work. I need my bike!

If someone's going to break my bike, it's going to be me. I just feel better that way.

My bike is too expensive and it would stress me out too much not having it with me.

But to each their own. I think it's up to the owner to make that call, obviously but those are the reasons why I prefer not to lend out my bike.
    My bike is all tricked out. It has pedals, a handle bar, a seat and two wheels! H8tRs gunna H8t!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    most of use have lots of acquaintances, but not many true friends.
    Guess I'm lucky that way. Probably why I have no problem loaning bikes. Or cars or tools or a place to sleep or money...basically anything. That's just how my friends roll; we tend to take pretty good care of each other.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Vicente View Post

Some simple what should be unverbalized guidelines which he couldn't respect. Better off not loaning it to someone like that anyways.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Guess I'm lucky that way. Probably why I have no problem loaning bikes. Or cars or tools or a place to sleep or money...basically anything. That's just how my friends roll; we tend to take pretty good care of each other.
    for real. if i have it and you need it, be my guest..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    for real. if i have it and you need it, be my guest..
    Yup. I've been on both sides of friendly help too many times to count.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Well said. I feel the same way. I would rather replace things than keep trying to find good friends.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Well said. I feel the same way. I would rather replace things than keep trying to find good friends.
    For me it's just a fear that I'll end up with neither. Say a friend breaks my bike and can't afford to reimburse me, now I don't have a bike and I hold animosity toward that friend. Call me paranoid but I'd rather just say 'no.'

That's not to say just about anything else in my life isn't up for good friends to borrow... My bike is just too important in my life (not to mention likely to break even from acceptable use.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    When not riding with them its highly unlikely that I would lend a bike out. I can maybe count on one hand the people I would lend a bike to out of my view.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    When I upgraded, I kept the ol' Santa Cruz Superlight as a kickaround loaner just for that purpose.It's the perfect bike in that it will handle anything a casual weekend warrior will throw at it yet. Will I loan my primary bike out? No.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    ....can't afford to reimburse me, now I don't have a bike and I hold animosity toward that friend. Call me paranoid...
    that's not paranoia, that's just not your friend if you'd ditch him for things out of his control...

Bikesexual
    that's not paranoia, that's just not your friend if you'd ditch him for things out of his control...
    Your good/real friends will always make you whole again, but as mentioned, there are those bad apples out there that hate accountability, and don't value the friendship.

I get you, material things are material things, but how your friends react to the situation is what matters, if I don't have enough trust to let my bike out of my sight, I don't see anything wrong with politely saying... sorry, I can't.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    ... if I don't have enough trust to let my bike out of my sight, I don't see anything wrong with politely saying... sorry, I can't.
    i wasn't saying you are wrong at all. just stating that we have vastly different views on the subject..

Bikesexual
    i wasn't saying you are wrong at all. just stating that we have vastly different views on the subject..
    Sorry didn't mean to imply that at all

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Not saying I'd 'ditch him' but it'd be hard to not have some animosity (which was all I said) toward him... Particularly when I'm sitting at home unable to ride because he borrowed something he was unable or unwilling to replace should it be necessary.

It's not that it'd be an automatic loss of a friend, but it would certainly hurt the relationship. Why would I knowingly set myself up for that possibility?

I think a lot of this is financial... If something happens to my bike that insurance won't cover I'm not gonna be a mountain biker for a year or so while I save for another. Considering how many of us identify as a 'mountain biker' that'd be a pretty big blow. If you have the cash that you could replace your main bike today without major financial hardship then good for you, I don't.

Pro Crastinator
    ..was unable or unwilling to replace....
    worlds of difference here...
    ..If you have the cash that you could replace your main bike today without major financial hardship then good for you, I don't.
    i never implied that i did, but i do have several bikes, so i would just make-do until i was able to replace said bike. in the meantime, by friend would still be able to borrow one of my other bikes that isn't broken if he or she asked again...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think money has a lot to do with this question. People that can afford to replace broken parts without it being an issue, tend to not worry about lending bikes out. Itís understandable for people to not want to lend their bike if repair costs would be an issue. Now that Iím older and have disposable income, I can comfortably lend any of my bikes without a concern.

Iím just as likely to break something myself anyway, probably more likely actually. When lending bikes, I do it with the expectation that if could be crashed. If something is totally broken, I would expect the friend to pay for a replacement. If just scratched or cosmetically damaged, I wouldnít expect replacement.

Having the disposable income is key. At this point in life I enjoy friendship more than an unscratched bike or a little fatter wallet. Lending bikes for a test ride, an introduction to riding, to an out of town visitor or merely for a change of pace, is a lot of fun. Itís totally worth the chance that a friend might break or scratch something. It feels good to put a smile on someoneís face.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would loan it to my brother but thatís it. Two things I donít loan out, my bike and golf clubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jreed3 View Post
    Two things I donít loan out, my bike and golf clubs.
    The one things I refuse to lend out are vinyl records. learned that the hard way.

mtbr member
    I typically don't lend anything out and I try not to borrow anything. I only have one good friend I would let ride my bike but he isn't into mountain biking so I don't have to worry about that. I don't trust anyone else.

I loaned my lawnmower to a neighbor once when in was stationed in Ft Stewart so he could mow his front yard, a 20x 20 foot square patch. Returned it broken. I don't know how he did it on such a small yard but he did it and didn't say anything when he gave it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    The one things I refuse to lend out are vinyl records. learned that the hard way.
    Nothing wrong with a skip or two. It keeps you in shape jumping to your feet to bump the needle.

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with a skip or two.
    Years ago I lent a record to my wife's brother. He left it on his turntable with the lid up, for weeks. He had a shower in his room and used talc heavily!

My experience is that most people do not look after records very well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Don't loan out to random people. Don't have to worry about loaning to friends, they are all to smalll to ride my bike. Helps being 6ft 6.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    If I can't trust them with my bike, they are not my friend to begin with.

I loaned a friend my racing motorcycle when I was short on cash and couldn't afford to ride it. He put in a few track days, had some fun. I got it back several months later. It's value was close to my mountain bikes. If any of my friends launch my bike off a cliff, I'll ask:

1. You okay?
    2. Was it epic?
    This. If I canít trust them, they are not my friends. Shit happens and if something gets broken, they fix it. I guess I choose to have friends with similar values.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

turtles make me hot
    This thread just made me remember when I was wheel building for the fat bike shop. He used to rent bikes because 99% of rentals turned into sales.
    Once, a guy rented either a Pugs or a Mukluk... Can't remember which, but anyway, about an hour later, he texts a picture of himself, on the bike in the surf up over the axles. Shop owner was freakin'.
    I like turtles

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    ...Once, a guy rented either a Pugs or a Mukluk... Can't remember which, but anyway, about an hour later, he texts a picture of himself, on the bike in the surf up over the axles. Shop owner was freakin'.
    Reminds me of when I made an extended loan of a suspension bike. It started as a one-day thing, but the guy ended up having it for like a month. He returned it with no air in the rear shock. He'd let the air out to increase the bounce. Oy!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Reminds me of when I made an extended loan of a suspension bike. It started as a one-day thing, but the guy ended up having it for like a month. He returned it with no air in the rear shock. He'd let the air out to increase the bounce. Oy!
    Knucklehead.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    For my 2 cents. I actively invite people to ride my bikes. I even tell them to come to my house and get them and take them for a ride when I am not using them. I also often take two or more bikes to a trail head where I meet a friend and let them ride my bike.

There are some factors here that make me generous. The people I loan bikes too, ride bikes. I'm not handing over a multiple thousand dollar bike to a first timer unless I'm present. I also have several bikes and a decent family fleet. I can ride tomorrow if something happens to a bike, although it might not be on my preferred ride for that day. Finally I ride the crap out of my stuff. There are scratches, and I use them up pretty well over the 10 years I expect them to last.

I wouldn't loan a bike if I thought the person was irresponsible enough to let it get stolen. I also won't just hand over a bike to a person that has no experience. I'm afraid they will get hurt, and they could hold me liable.

The rules are:

Life is too short to not be generous.
    Don't be stupid with your generosity.
    Only loan out things you can afford to loose.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    Life is too short to not be generous.
    Don't be stupid with your generosity.
    Thank you for this! Good thoughts. I have a bike loaned out now. It's one of my favorites, and I've been having some angst over having loaned it. Your post reminds me of what really matters.

TRANCER
    Nope !
    Ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have an a steel hard tail built up with some cheap but effective parts that I lend out. I don't care if they break anything...It's more important to me to introduce someone to the sport and see them having a good time than worrying about replacing a $30 rear derailler or snapped chain.
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Southern Maine

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    This is the key. I can't afford to lose my mountain bike. Case closed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Would you let someone borrow your wife? Because that's how much I love my bikes...if I had a wife.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
    Would you let someone borrow your wife?
    As long as they promised not to bring her back in the condition they got her in.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    As long as they promised not to bring her back
    fify

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Boing, Boing!! Just what most of us desire.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I keep a cheepo bike for "friends" my personal bikes are off limits as is my wife's and my daughters Yetis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    I keep a cheepo bike for "friends" my personal bikes are off limits as is my wife's and my daughters Yetis.
    I've never heard it called that before?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Well...I'm pretty tall so nobody really asks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12