Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Do you get grouchy?

Like when you don't get in some consistent riding. As of late I just don't feel quite right unless I go and get my "fix" four a couple of hours. Even those times I don't really feel riding I can feel my mood lifting right around the time I start to recover from the first "peg the redline" and am good and warmed up. I usually get a little smile and everything just seems a bit better. Any of you guys experience this?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Definitely. Gotta ride my bike or I get stressed and depressed.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

undercover brother
    Yup. It's been raining the last week here in ohio and it's driving me nuts. I'm going out tonight after work for a ride. I feel like I haven't gotten a good ride in weeeeeeks.

undercover brother
    Sheepo, we have contradicting titles...

No Stranger to danger....
    No never get grouchy you bastard..want a fight about it do ya? do ya? do ya?
    just watch who ya callin grouchy next time ya muppet...
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Go eat a chocolate bar ya miserable Aussie.

I never get pissed off but I get to ride my bike every day. Maybe not on the trails, but I don't have a car so even my commute is enjoyable.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Go eat a chocolate bar ya miserable Aussie.

I never get pissed off but I get to ride my bike every day. Maybe not on the trails, but I don't have a car so even my commute is enjoyable.
    HEHEHEHE, Me old mate ninja, a canadian scorpio that never gets pissed, who's woman is also a scorpio lol, ive heard it all now ninja
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It's never a bad day when you're blowing past the cagers on the way to work

mtbr member
    ya muppet...
    Them's pretty strong words.

Me, I don't get grouchy, but my wife sure does.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Totally grouchy . . . dark early, trails wet, every weekend packed with multiple holiday events . . . I'll go spin at the gym but that's more like methadone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I can't say grouchy, but I'm definitely itchin to ride. Kinda feels like each time I feen while trying to quit smoking.
    And since my POS bike is trashed and I haven't picked up my new bike yet, I can't get my fix in.

mtbr member
    yep sure do..... I'm told by wife and kids to go for a ride..... rain, snow, hot, cold is just doesn't matter... I have to get out!

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    Sometimes life gets in the way of my riding. It was 2 weeks between the last ride and the one I got in this past saturday, but OH WHAT A JOY it was to get back on and go

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm grouchy right now.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Carbondale

mtbr member
    Ride=No Oscar the Grouch.....

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    Totally grouchy . . . . I'll go spin at the gym but that's more like methadone.
    The commute is kinda like that for me. I need a regular dirt fix. No cars wizzin' by my elbow.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

banned
    Sep 2012
    Grouchy? All the time! Even more so when I don't get to ride.

-S

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    There are proper meds for grouchy, mate.

Don't know about down under, but in Colorado USA, great skiing, great mtb, AND now legal weed. The weed thing enough to change my Snowbird vacation to Vail, and Moab to Fruita. I'm an old guy boomer, but here to tell you that skiing and riding baked are as mind boggling enhanced as sex baked. Whew!
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Yup. But I can substitute other kinds of training. I've re-added running lately because it travels better and I have a little less trouble shoehorning it into a tight schedule. In the past, I lifted weights. I ride both road and mountain. Etc. Varying intensity means I don't necessarily need to do monster four hour rides. Actually, I don't think I've done one of those since August.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My wife says I was born grouchy.

mtbr member
    Find myself far too busy right now to get in regular time on the bike, the weather and lack of daylight hours also adding to that as it is.

What I do find annoying is when I think i'm going to get out for an hour or so ,look forward to it all day and then can't because something changed , or like today when you know you have free time after work but it didn't get above -2 even in the middle of the day which makes my night ride far too dangerous.

Then I start to get the feeling I NEED a fix.

However,IMO it's always better to be pissed off than pissed on
    I scurry away with my hardtail between my legs

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So it's not just me, I feel much better now. Fortunately, I'm self employed and can generally work in at least 3 rides a week and that seems about the minimum to keep me happy. I have noticed as my fitness level increased I have to ride a bit harder to get to that happy place. I had an epiphany last time out and that's what prompted the question. It was a ride that I had to squeeze in and about 5 miles into it my with my heart pounding at the max the words "this is where you wanted to be isn't it?" flashed across my mind almost as if spoken by someone else, to which I replied "sure is" and pedaled on with a smile on my face.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Yep. Running helps... But as I type this im away on a trip for work, bike less and recovering from a cold.
    the cranky factor is rapidly coming to rear its ugly head.

Sent by smoke signal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PdlPwr View Post
    Like when you don't get in some consistent riding. As of late I just don't feel quite right unless I go and get my "fix" four a couple of hours. Even those times I don't really feel riding I can feel my mood lifting right around the time I start to recover from the first "peg the redline" and am good and warmed up. I usually get a little smile and everything just seems a bit better. Any of you guys experience this?
    I havent been able to 'seriously' ride my MTB in about 6 months and now its looking like it will be another 2 on top of that with my freshly broken collar bone. I can definitely tell I am a lot more grouchy/ grumpy than when I was riding consistently.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I definitely ride to "escape". I'm so glad that my wife values exercise, as its not just me going out to have fun, but also me going out to get exercise that will keep me healthy and attractive!

To make it extra fun, I often bring a left-hand cig along with me.

Rain can be annoying, especially when I've been planning on riding a particular day, and then it's pouring. Fortunately our trails are always either on the verge of being taken over by plants or fallen leaves, so riding in the rain or mud is totally smiled upon. On monday night, just as the rain broke, I started a 20 mile night ride. Not much nasty mud, but tons of thin dirty water covered my entire body and bike by the end! Super fun as long as you stay warm, which I did!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast