Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Do you carry a knife while riding?

I'm looking into the buck knives. Do you carry one and what do you carry?

p_h
    mtbr member
    yes, a diving knife. More as a tool than anything else.
    "Prepare for unforeseen consequences"

mtbr member
    Ditto.

For forty years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    swiss army one hand trekker for me. I normally carry a W. R. Case and Sons copperlock or trapperlock but the swiss army is light and has more than one use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by p_h
    yes, a diving knife. More as a tool than anything else.
    is there an advantage to carrying a diving knife over some of the others?
    i was thinking about a tactical knife.

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865
    I'm looking into the buck knives. Do you carry one and what do you carry?
    I carry a multi-tool that has a small knife. I also often carry a folding saw for impromptu trail maintenance. I've never thought of mtbing as an opportunity to procure game, thus I've never carried a buck knife. I suppose if I were going on a long primitive bikepacking journey I'd consider going all Alexander Supertramp, but rarely am I more than one days journey from civilization; for that distance Bear Grylls wouldn't need a buck knife.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55
    I carry a multi-tool that has a small knife. I also often carry a folding saw for impromptu trail maintenance. I've never thought of mtbing as an opportunity to procure game, thus I've never carried a buck knife. I suppose if I were going on a long primitive bikepacking journey I'd consider going all Alexander Supertramp, but rarely am I more than one days journey from civilization; for that distance Bear Grylls wouldn't need a buck knife.
    those buck knives seem solid and i would want something a little bigger than a swiss army because you never know what you're going to encounter on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I always carry a Gerber Evo Jr. serrated knife with me - its my cut-my-own-arm/leg-off-to-get-out-from-under-a-boulder knife.

Rub it............
    I normally carry a small pocket knife. Nothing too big. Mostly as a tool.

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    ... you never know what you're going to encounter on the trail.
    I guess, but by that logic, you should also carry a portable defibrillator, a Glock, an EpiPen, fuel, rope, carabiners, snake bike kit, maybe even a chemical warefare gas-mask, multitool, tubes, quick-link, derailleur hanger, rear derailleur, water purifier, one months worth of food, -30 degree sleeping bag, duct tape, extra beer, whistle, compass, bungy cording a spare bike to your back is a must(to cover all possible mechanical woes),this is a small fraction of what you would need. After all, you never know what you're going to encounter on the trail.

ronbo613
    I guess, but by that logic, you should also carry a portable defibrillator, a Glock, an EpiPen, fuel, rope, carabiners, snake bike kit, maybe even a chemical warefare gas-mask, multitool, tubes, quick-link, derailleur hanger, rear derailleur, water purifier, one months worth of food, -30 degree sleeping bag, duct tape, extra beer, whistle, compass, bungy cording a spare bike to your back is a must(to cover all possible mechanical woes),this is a small fraction of what you would need. After all, you never know what you're going to encounter on the trail.
    Actually, most people don't need any of that stuff; a holder for their Starbucks coffee and a pocket for their 4G smart phone should do it. Just start riding at one parking lot, follow the herd to the next parking lot and you'll be fine.
    If you should head into unknown territory, on a bike or otherwise, you should be prepared. On longer trips into the backcountry, I always carry a first aid kit, windproof lighter and my trusty Buck Mayo Hilo. GPS, spare batteries and map. We take water purifiers in the summer if we are going to be out more than eight hours or so.
    Or, just stay on the well marked trails.

p_h
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    is there an advantage to carrying a diving knife over some of the others?
    i was thinking about a tactical knife.

Its all one piece, fairly durable and stainless steel. Also, due to its intended use, it actually locks into the sheath which is plastic, and does not come unsecured unless you push a button near the handle. That said, you can still pull it out without issue if need be.
    "Prepare for unforeseen consequences"

Retired User
    double post

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55

Hold on there. Let's not be too sarcastic. I do and have carried many of the things you deride. In fact, I was psychologically saved on one epic ride: I was nearly out of hot water when another rider pulled out a water purifier . . . . Saved - - fresh, cool H2O.

You better knock on wood.

Edit: To the OP: I carry a knife.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I carry as much safety equipment as my pack will comfortably allow, it may be the difference between a lonely death in the woods and telling you grand-kids how you almost died in the woods. I would carry a larger fixed blade knife if there was more dangerous wildlife where I ride, but I'm not that lucky.

mtbr member
    I carry a Leatherman everywhere even accidentally through airport security once. That sucked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Im almost always carrying a leatheman skeletool cx multitool. Saved me from various situations. Fixed an outboard engine in the middle of a lake, a collapsed bike carrier on the freeway amongst others. Knives are very handy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i carry a knife while i ride in case somebody tries to jack my ****, i shank em...

Stucco Bucket
    SOG on my camelback strap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    i carry a knife 24/7 just because...if i think theres danger i carry my 9mm(concealed carry). The knife i normally carry is a piranha bodygaurd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If you're thinking of using a knife for anything other than trail fixes you should think again. A knife is a deadly weapon, 95% of the time when you need to use a deadly weapon a knife leaves you at a disadvantage compared to a fire arm. And If you didn't "need" the deadly weapon then you escalated by producing the knife.

If you need protection carry the most effective tool for the job. Less than a fire arm you should just use pepper spray foam/gel. There are no winners in a knife fight.

Stucco Bucket
    rip this thread...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The best tactical knife I've found is the
    CRKT M16. I've been using one for years.
    However for an all around pocket knife I
    really like Swiss Army.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I grew up carrying a 12" machete I was 4 then, then is I grew machete grew ,now I carry a 4'' (by law ) pocket knife is just a habit now, but it has help in a lot of occasions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I like the idea of a Multi-tool. Leatherman, Sog, etc.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast