Poll: Do you think Armstrong doped?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 401 to 500 of 647
  1. #401
    Evolutionsverlierer
    Reputation: acer66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    DJ, Yes thats the same Aussie doco that SV11 is talking about,.
    He is just repeating the post he made before SV11 made his.

  2. #402
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    He is just repeating the post he made before SV11 made his.
    God help me and god help this thread.................
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  3. #403
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    41
    BTW mono, I do follow and love the sport... But that not the issue.... In fact, the issue here isn't if LA is guilty or innocent..... Right now it's all "circumstantial evidence... And last time I checked, you are innocent tell proven guilty by a jury of your peers... But I'm not even saying LA is innocent.... I'm saying all along, I'm not judging him... The point u are failing to understand is.... IT'S NOT CHEATING IF EVERYONE IS DOING IT.... Are you able to handle that truth? I said the "difference of a college superstar and a millionaire sports star is the width of a needle"... But u wouldn't except that , that's why you lash on your insults to the ones who are caught..... What if I told you that 90% of the tour in some form or fashion are taking PEDs... At one time or another in their careers. Same thing in professional football....and many others...if fact, it wasn't till lately HGH could be identified! So until there is a 100% fool proof method of testing and that includes not just one race but you one has ever taken any drug to improve their proformance ... Well then y'all are just wasting your breathe.... Because the list of superstars that have never been caught will change that " stupid "OMG- he is a cheater "! view forever . IT'S NOT CHEATING IF EVERYONE DOING IT

  4. #404
    Evolutionsverlierer
    Reputation: acer66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradpreo View Post
    IT'S NOT CHEATING IF EVERYONE DOING IT
    So you know for a fact without a single doubt and have evidence to proof it that every single rider, even the one that always came in dead last, that raced against Lance was using?

  5. #405
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,149
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    The greatest American cyclist was Greg Lemond. You can look it up.
    +1 by far.

    (among modern day road pros)

  6. #406
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    LOL, ''ITS NOT CHEATING IF EVERYONES DOING IT'' What a great way to view life lol
    This thread gets better with every post.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  7. #407
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,149
    Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    So you know for a fact without a single doubt and have evidence to proof it that every single rider, even the one that always came in dead last, that raced against Lance was using?
    Actually, Bradpreo is purporting that the adoption rate of PEDs is 90%;

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradpreo View Post
    What if I told you that 90% of the tour in some form or fashion are taking PEDs... At one time or another in their careers.
    Even though he later seems to contradict himself with the statement below;

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradpreo View Post
    IT'S NOT CHEATING IF EVERYONE DOING IT
    Who knows where the 90% figure comes from. I'm certain that no one, not pro team riders, managers, UCI, knows a real figure so the 90% is some mix of speculation and possibly educated guess. I'll take a shot at saying the real figure isn't 0% nor is it 100%, but as described above no one truly knows where to peg it. 90% based on his criteria doesn't sound unreasonable given information that's hit public domain over the past 15 years from Festina 1998 onwards.

    Still, if it's less than 100% adoption, then the riders who are doping are stealing careers from those who don't. That includes riders who somehow made it into the pro peloton clean, like perhaps Scott Mercier and others like him;

    BBC Sport - Lance Armstrong case creates an unlikely hero

    Or those who had to give it up earlier in their careers because they wouldn't dope, and never even made it as far as Mercier.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradpreo View Post
    Right now it's all "circumstantial evidence... And last time I checked, you are innocent tell proven guilty by a jury of your peers...
    I'm not a lawyer, but it's plain to even a layperson that the very large body of eyewitness evidence represents a combination of both direct (not circumstantial) and circumstantial evidence. Combine that large body of eyewitness testimony with all the other evidence which included communications/email records, financial trails, etc. and the USADA had a very compelling case compiled.

    As for the concept of innocent until proven guilty by a jury of your peers, that is for a court of law. USADA has no standing to enforce violations of the law, nor is that what they charged Armstrong with. USADA charged Armstrong with violations of rules of sporting organizations. Those sporting organizations have their own rules (not laws), which Armstrong agreed to explicitly when applying for and subsequently accepting his USA Cycling race license each year. Those rules do not include having disputes settled by a jury of peers, although they do offer athletes an opportunity to participate in arbitration in which 50% of the arbitration panel is selected by the athlete. Armstrong declined to contest the USADA charges when he chose to not proceed with the arbitration.

  8. #408
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Actually, Bradpreo is purporting that the adoption rate of PEDs is 90%;



    Even though he later seems to contradict himself with the statement below;



    Who knows where the 90% figure comes from. I'm certain that no one, not pro team riders, managers, UCI, knows a real figure so the 90% is some mix of speculation and possibly educated guess. I'll take a shot at saying the real figure isn't 0% nor is it 100%, but as described above no one truly knows where to peg it. 90% based on his criteria doesn't sound unreasonable given information that's hit public domain over the past 15 years from Festina 1998 onwards.

    Still, if it's less than 100% adoption, then the riders who are doping are stealing careers from those who don't. That includes riders who somehow made it into the pro peloton clean, like perhaps Scott Mercier and others like him;

    BBC Sport - Lance Armstrong case creates an unlikely hero

    Or those who had to give it up earlier in their careers because they wouldn't dope, and never even made it as far as Mercier.



    I'm not a lawyer, but it's plain to even a layperson that the very large body of eyewitness evidence represents a combination of both direct (not circumstantial) and circumstantial evidence. Combine that large body of eyewitness testimony with all the other evidence which included communications/email records, financial trails, etc. and the USADA had a very compelling case compiled.

    As for the concept of innocent until proven guilty by a jury of your peers, that is for a court of law. USADA has no standing to enforce violations of the law, nor is that what they charged Armstrong with. USADA charged Armstrong with violations of rules of sporting organizations. Those sporting organizations have their own rules (not laws), which Armstrong agreed to explicitly when applying for and subsequently accepting his USA Cycling race license each year. Those rules do not include having disputes settled by a jury of peers, although they do offer athletes an opportunity to participate in arbitration in which 50% of the arbitration panel is selected by the athlete. Armstrong declined to contest the USADA charges when he chose to not proceed with the arbitration.
    Schooled ............
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  9. #409
    Evolutionsverlierer
    Reputation: acer66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    911
    @Circlip, I was just playing along since the statement that "it's not cheating when..." is so beyond wrong.

  10. #410
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,149
    Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    @Circlip, I was just playing along since the statement that "it's not cheating when..." is so beyond wrong.
    I know it. Please excuse my use your playing along to support my playing along.

  11. #411
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    I know it. Please excuse my use your playing along to support my playing along.
    i have no issues at all with you guys playing... quite fine with me.

    Tone's may make it an issue, but not me.

  12. #412
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    LOL, ''ITS NOT CHEATING IF EVERYONES DOING IT'' What a great way to view life lol
    This thread gets better with every post.....
    goes hand in hand with this 24k gold from USA Republican Gubernatorial candidate Clayton Williams

    "if the rape is imminent, just relax and enjoy it"

    we have to preserve these nuggets from fading...

  13. #413
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradpreo View Post
    IT'S NOT CHEATING IF EVERYONE DOING IT
    It's cheating if it's again the law, sporting law, Federal Law what ever laws apply. In this case UCI law say it illegal to drug.

    No matter if you are the only one our if every body doing it. If you dope, You are guilty! That it.

    And yes Lance was cheating, he used/use drugs...

    It's fun i can practice my english will having a good laught.

  14. #414
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,619
    I'm surprised people care this much about the actions of some random guy. Who cares what Lance does or how some governing body wants to handle his actions? You'll find in life that a good percentage of the people who are at the top of anything cheated a bit to get there. Cheating, and not getting caught, helps your odds at success (if you view success in terms of money/podium placement). Sucks, but it's true. It's true in all careers, even athletic ones... I'm not saying it's the noble thing to do, but any amount of unbiased research will lead you to this conclusion. Just look at the criminal records of the idiots we vote in to congress. Drug charges, DUI's, spousal abuse, fraud, tax evasion, etc... And these are the idiots you guys all vote for. To focus on Lance's actions here is silly and naive IMO.

  15. #415
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    79
    On this tread we focus on Lance. On other tread we focus on different things... You see.
    Last edited by lapinGTI; 12-31-2012 at 12:50 PM.

  16. #416
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    584
    I believe all bikers participating in those races are all drugged up. Just so happened that LA was the best drugged up biker.

  17. #417
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    + 100% on the above. Until he is fund guilty by a jury of his peers, it is unfair for any of us to have on opinion one way or the other regarding his guilt or innocense. We weren't there and we don't know what really happenened.
    Somebody didn't read through the thread and didn't do any research before posting stupid nonsense. Not the first time and won't be the last.

    One more time: DOPING IS NOT A CRIME THE USA; THERE NEVER WILL BE A JURY OF HIS PEERS. Doping is prohibited under the rules of USADA and WADA. Those organisations have jurisdiction over Lances shenanigans. How do I know this? Because Lance and his army of shysters sued USADA in a COURT OF LAW over this and LOST. The anti-doping organisations found mountains of evidence proving that Lance cheated in every race he entered after his cancer comeback. They therefore stripped him of all his titles. He chose not to arbitrate this, as was his right; he caved, he quit, he lost. STICK A FORK IN HIM. HE'S DONE.

    Only a tiny minority of credulous jock sniffing hero worshipping dumbasses don't get this.

    Make a New Years resolution:

    GET OVER IT. GET A LIFE. MOVE ON WITH REALITY
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  18. #418
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradpreo View Post
    Right now it's all "circumstantial evidence...
    wrong.

    the evidence consists of documented financial records. documented failed drug tests. documented payoff to cover up dirty drug tests. a plethora of emails between LA others discussing doping, how to cover it up, how to retaliate against and silence those where were not "team players. sworn eyewitness testimony.

    that's not circumstantial evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradpreo
    And last time I checked, you are innocent tell proven guilty by a jury of your peers...
    wrong again.

    that's in a LEGAL court. this issue of his cheating is NOT in a legal court.

    what you fail to be able to grasp, despite it being laid out for you very simply, is that LA is bound by rules and procedures HE AGREED TO when he applied for and was granted a pro racing license. he willingly and voluntarily agreed to be bound by the policies and procedures of the governing bodies.

    however, even if your argument above were true lance DECLINED to face the evidence and witnesses in an open, formal hearing and instead WILLINGLY was stripped of his titles and banned for life. a "plea bargain" of sorts, if you will.

    so yet again your arguments have no merit either in fact, practice, or as lance himself is concerned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradpreo
    The point u are failing to understand is.... IT'S NOT CHEATING IF EVERYONE IS DOING IT.... Are you able to handle that truth?
    that is only "truth" to a sociopath.

    when there are rules, and they are being broken, it is called "cheating" even if everyone is doing it. breaking a rule on a mass scale does not somehow magically invalidate that rule.

    what you're saying is as stupid, non-sensical, pathological, and sociopathic as saying, "speeding is not illegal since everyone does it". i think we'd all agree that most people do speed. in fact, i would suggest a greater percentage of licensed drivers speed than licensed racers dope. does that invalidate the legal prohibition against speeding? a prohibition one agrees to be bound by when applying for and being granted a driver's license?

    tell ya what... the next time you get a speeding ticket go into court like a boss and yell to the judge, "IT'S NOT BREAKING THE LAW CUZ EVERYONE DOES IT! CAN'T YOU ACCEPT THAT TRUTH?!?!?" and see how far that gets you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradpreo
    that's why you lash on your insults to the ones who are caught.....
    when someone has lied, cheated, blackmailed, extorted, bribed, retaliated, and committed perjury it's not "lashing insults" to call them a liar, cheater, blackmailer, extortionist, perjurer, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradpreo
    What if I told you that 90% of the tour in some form or fashion are taking PEDs... At one time or another in their careers.
    for the purpose of this discussion i would say, "who cares? relevance?" oh yeah, your relevance for this is to claim that "it's not cheating if everyone does it".

    but you argue against yourself with such a stance. you say, "i'm not saying lance is not guilty" but then you say "it's not cheating if everyone is doing it". well since lance clearly did it you're saying it's not cheating since everyone else was. thus, you're saying lance is not guilty.

    your arguments are getting more and more non-sensical and self contradictory with each post. no doubt you imagine you are really handing "truth" and "reality" to us and we're too dumb to see it when in fact you're proudly putting your ignorance and abhorrent personal morals/value and reprehensible situational ethic on display for the entire world to see.

    and you're too pathetically and profoundly obtuse to even realize it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradpreo
    IT'S NOT CHEATING IF EVERYONE DOING IT
    we get it, sociopath. we just don't agree with you.
    Last edited by monogod; 12-31-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  19. #419
    Evolutionsverlierer
    Reputation: acer66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    911
    Maybe posts like the last 2 should be mandatory to be read and fully understood before posting
    but that might take the fun out of this thread.

  20. #420
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    +1 by far.

    (among modern day road pros)
    But if we include mtb past & present, we have John Tomac (also a National Roadie champ) and Brian Lopes ( more WC wins than any male ever).

    Just saying (I mean remembering)
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  21. #421
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,619
    Ah, I see why this thread is still going. There are some people defending Lance. That is also strange to me. This guy wouldn't stop and help you with a flat tire on the side of the road/trail and you're all here arguing for him like he's your family... The guy's definitely a donkey so it's good to have his name dragged through some mud. Carry on.

  22. #422
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by lapinGTI View Post
    On this tread we focus on Lance. On other tread we focus on different things... You see.
    This is pretty cut and dry. Person signs agreement to race on particular circuit. Person breaks rule(s) (even if the only rule broken was that which requires him to be a willing participant in an investigation). Due to infraction, governing body removes person from being in good standing with the organization and takes titles away.
    Nothing foul here. Just how it's supposed to go. I'm glad Lance isn't being treated like the god he goes around pretending to be. Except by some here on the Internet, who luckily, aren't in charge of any athletic organizations.

  23. #423
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,149
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    But if we include mtb past & present, we have John Tomac (also a National Roadie champ) and Brian Lopes ( more WC wins than any male ever).

    Just saying (I mean remembering)
    Good list, if we're keeping on the theme of the site speaking to MTB. Juli Furtado would also rate highly in some people's books. Another couple of years like 2012 and Aaron Gwin might make it up there too. On the other hand if we instead open up the criteria to all disciplines, it wouldn't be any stretch to give a nod to Major Taylor.

  24. #424
    RJJ
    RJJ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradpreo View Post
    News flash.... PEDs have been and will continue to be used in every professional sport... All this BS about Lance is a cheater is delusional talk because those who think that... some where deep inside believe in the "purity of sports". To alll those in that camp.... In the words of Jack..."you can't handle the truth"! Son, we live in a world of walls... We put our atheletes on a pedestal and would like to think they are "god like".... You have that luxury... The luxury of being so native that all your idols are clean... So when one of these super stars get caught ... U are like OMG!!! Such liars, such cheaters amoung this world of unbelievable super humans God has put among us for our entertainment.... We use words like honor, code and loyalty.... I have neither the time or the inclination to explain way the difference of just being a college star and a millionaire superstar is just the point of a needle difference.... Now I am not saying these superstars are not ridiculously talented and if you or I used the same PEDs then we could do what they are achieving.... NO WAY!! These are superstars that train hard their whole life and look for any advantage they can get away with.... And they know for a fact others are doing it... So they find a way or accept being irrelevant. Take off your rose colared glasses and just enjoy watching the game.... It's just as much of a game behind the scenes not getting caught.... Lance is a 7 time Tour De France champion and deserves everything he has earned.... so does Tiger Woods even if one day they prove he took something .....face the facts and enjoy the game.... don't think you know what's happening behind closed doors... And don't be so quick to "throw that stone" and just believe in the system....
    Hey Lance, is that you?

  25. #425
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    402
    Do you believe Hillary really suffered a fainting spell?

    Nope – Bill slapped her down the stairs.
    Yep – But I didn’t until I saw the news this morning.
    Nope - But I'm starting to have doubts.
    Last edited by dead_dog_canyon; 01-01-2013 at 01:11 PM.

  26. #426
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    hillary suffered a farting spell? That'll go over well
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357148257.113322.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  22.4 KB
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  27. #427
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    17
    he is clean they have no proof

  28. #428
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwfmtber View Post
    he is clean they have no proof
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  29. #429
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    Wow dwt I am clearly not trolling...my post was no more a troll than yours. Happy new year, try to lay off the geritol
    Really? Could have fooled me, and did repeatedly.

    Geritol? Damn, not only are you a troll but a f***tard as a comedian.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  30. #430
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    543
    Among the evidence cited by USADA:

    - US Postal Service team riders used EPO, testosterone, human growth hormone and cortisone, according to riders George Hincapie, Tyler Hamilton, Frankie Andreu and Jonathan Vaughters and team employee Emma O'Reilly

    - Armstrong required O'Reilly to dispose of syringes after the 1998 Tour of the Netherlands

    - Hincapie and Hamilton testified they were aware of Armstrong's EPO use as early as 1998. Vaughters confirmed Armstrong used in the Tour of Spain and said he saw Armstrong inject himself with EPO in a hotel room

    - Vaughters and Christian Van de Velde saw a doctor bring saline to Armstrong to help him avoid doping detection

    - Hamilton testified he saw Armstrong take EPO during the 1999 Tour de France, having blood removed before the 2000 Tour and receiving a transfusion during the 2000 Tour

    - Armstrong offered Hamilton a vial of EPO from a refrigerator at his villa in Nice, France, in May, 1999. Hincapie also testified to being aware of 1999 EPO use by Armstrong

    - O'Reilly testified team officials fabricated a story to explain why Armstrong tested positive for cortisone, including a backdated prescription for a cortisone cream to treat a saddle sore when he really had taken a cortisone injection



    Cycling: Armstrong misses doping appeal deadline - Sport - NZ Herald News

  31. #431
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    Ha! That all you got?
    You apparently are unable to just let it go.

    How about this: if I can criticise you as being a credulous mentally challenged troll, I suppose it's fair for you to bring up age. Although that is lame and very low hanging fruit, and only emphasises your lack of cognitive ability.

    I suppose you might know something about mtb, but your understanding of professional road bike racing and your contributions to this thread are sorely deficient.

    New Years resolution: don't feed trolls
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  32. #432
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    Ha! That all you got?

    Is that all I've got, lol...the fact that it's official that he never won a tour...it's all I need.
    An innocent man does not miss the deadline for his doping appeal.
    Last edited by SV11; 01-03-2013 at 04:42 PM.

  33. #433
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    Is that all I've got, lol...the fact that it's official that he never won a tour...it's all I need.
    An innocent man does not miss the deadline for his doping appeal.
    Nicely put sv11, this just about sums it all up, game set and match.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  34. #434
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    543
    Thanks mate.
    Only one thing left to do, rape him for millions from his ill gotten wealth.

  35. #435
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    Thanks mate.
    Only one thing left to do, rape him for millions from his ill gotten wealth.
    Do you guys harbor this much hatred of the 2nd through 10th place finishers of the tours that Lance was in?

    Thats what seems so absurd about all the Lance Hatred, everyone thinks that the more they hate lance the more morally upstanding they are, but nobody displays any hatred for all the other guys on the tour that were surely doping so instead of proving themselves to be morally upstanding they just look like hypocrites.

    You guys are obviously free to hate Lance all you want, you might even consider having a comment on your grave stone about how terrible of a person Lance is/was, but you guys really need to let the hatred flow to all the other dopers, you do want to be known as equal opportunity haters, right?

  36. #436
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Do you guys harbor this much hatred of the 2nd through 10th place finishers of the tours that Lance was in?

    Thats what seems so absurd about all the Lance Hatred, everyone thinks that the more they hate lance the more morally upstanding they are, but nobody displays any hatred for all the other guys on the tour that were surely doping so instead of proving themselves to be morally upstanding they just look like hypocrites.

    You guys are obviously free to hate Lance all you want, you might even consider having a comment on your grave stone about how terrible of a person Lance is/was, but you guys really need to let the hatred flow to all the other dopers, you do want to be known as equal opportunity haters, right?
    I have 14 words and a vowel for you dude, watch the world according to lance, then come back to this thread for a chat...

  37. #437
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Do you guys harbor this much hatred of the 2nd through 10th place finishers of the tours that Lance was in?

    Thats what seems so absurd about all the Lance Hatred, everyone thinks that the more they hate lance the more morally upstanding they are, but nobody displays any hatred for all the other guys on the tour that were surely doping so instead of proving themselves to be morally upstanding they just look like hypocrites.

    You guys are obviously free to hate Lance all you want, you might even consider having a comment on your grave stone about how terrible of a person Lance is/was, but you guys really need to let the hatred flow to all the other dopers, you do want to be known as equal opportunity haters, right?
    Quack quack quack......
    Its obvious you have read very little of these threads and have done very little research on the topic.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  38. #438
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26,610
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post

    Thats what seems so absurd about all the Lance Hatred, everyone thinks that the more they hate lance the more morally upstanding they are, but nobody displays any hatred for all the other guys on the tour that were surely doping so instead of proving themselves to be morally upstanding they just look like hypocrites.
    You mean all the other guys that weren't using their influence to bully other riders, blackmail? That weren't raking in the millions in sponsorships and denying the substantial charges several times over the years? That weren't paying people off with large sums of money? That weren't involved in a never-ending legal battle to deal with the allegations that kept coming up? That have stepped forward in many cases to support the allegations and received temporary bans?

    Those guys?
    There are probably more than a few that have slipped through, and it's not a witch-hunt, it's a situation where there's good evidence against LA. If there's just as good evidence against all these others like you say, I'd imagine that will come out or should be pursued. I'd imagine due to not being anywhere near the extent of what LA did, it's probably unlikely.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  39. #439
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...it's a situation where there's good evidence against LA. If there's just as good evidence against all these others like you say...
    I never said there was, or wasn't, evidence against the other guys in the tour

    Do you believe that I'm defending Lance?

    All I did was point out that the hatred bestowed upon Lance for cheating should be spread out on all the cheating riders, you guys have to let the hate flow and be more generous with it.

  40. #440
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,149
    Die thread! Die!

  41. #441
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Die thread! Die!
    LOL, i dont think its ready yet mate, its got some legs on it yet, besides, its been very entertaining.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  42. #442
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Move it to the 29er forum, make it a sticky.

  43. #443
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,149
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Move it to the 29er forum, make it a sticky.
    Cruel and unusual punishment?

  44. #444
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Cruel and unusual punishment?


    They deserve it for being Zealots.

  45. #445
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,120
    this thread is
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

  46. #446
    Sup
    Reputation: Burnt-Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,696
    hay Lance is your shower running



    Better go catch it
    I am slow therefore I am

  47. #447
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,120
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    hay Lance is your shower running



    Better go catch it
    he can't his supply ran out
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

  48. #448
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,305
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    How dare you call me a ginger!
    in responding to a post clearly directed at someone else as though it was directed at you personally you've scored the coveted "troll twofer" -- epic troll combined with epic fail.

    congrats!
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  49. #449
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201

  50. #450
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    LOL, thinking about confessing because the wants his riding ban lifted, the guy is a sociopath, if he confesses, it will be a contrived load of dribble to suit him, not a word that comes out of the guys mouth can be believed.
    It will be a carefully scripted, sociopathic,load of dribble, if he wants to confess for the right reasons i'll have a listen, but if its because he wants to get back into pro riding, its a total disgrace of a reason and it wont even be worth the 10 minute press conference.
    The guy has no shame and i wont mix my words, he is the biggest disgrace in the history of sport, with daylight second.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  51. #451
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    This is enough to drive me out of lurking on this thread.

    First Graham Watson's blog. Now the New York Times. Next, I suspect he will play a victim. Regardless, if he comes forward and says he made a mistake and is acting like a leader in trying to right a major wrong, he'll earn respect.

    edit: Perhaps not Tone's respect. But anybody that could confess to this much of a lie will earn *some* respect back.

  52. #452
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    543
    If LA wanted to keep a little respect, he would of come out when he got outed, when the rest admitted to doping. Him denying his doping/antics for all this time proves to me his confession would not be genuine, people know when they are being played.
    How can you respect a guy that did what he did, and denied it up until this time (he is considering a confession, not a certainty yet) and still does?
    His consideration for a confessoin doesn't sit well with me, now I know for a certain that he's an A grade scumbag.

  53. #453
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    644
    Well it seems to be quite simple. No matter what you did, if you apologize people will love you and shower you with money and Presidents will come to your concerts.....
    Just ask Psy and his Gangnam style singing about killing American troops and their families, or Chris Brown the woman beater. You could also ask the dog killer Michael Vick. The list goes on
    I imagine that Lance, and everyone else, sees how easy it is to apologize and be forgiven when famous and figure it will work for them to.

  54. #454
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    1. We all have lied before. 2. When we lied, we thought it was the right thing to do at the moment. Turning away from a lie, even a little lie or especially one that shows vulnerability, requires more strength than continuing to lie. So yes, him coming through to say what went on from his perspective could be very enlightening about the sport. I'm certain he is playing an angle, but in the end, put yourself on a stage and confess a lie that is going to be quoted in virtually every paper around the world and see if your knees are not trembling a bit. For better or worse, this is a necessary step.

  55. #455
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    This is enough to drive me out of lurking on this thread.

    First Graham Watson's blog. Now the New York Times. Next, I suspect he will play a victim. Regardless, if he comes forward and says he made a mistake and is acting like a leader in trying to right a major wrong, he'll earn respect.

    edit: Perhaps not Tone's respect. But anybody that could confess to this much of a lie will earn *some* respect back.
    Heyall, im onto lances personality like many others are, if and when he does, it will be narcissistic, self serving, sociopathic, it will be constructed to avoid any blame and paint himself out to be a victim and hero.
    I f its just to get his riding ticket back it will be a total sham and disgrace.
    Lance does not have the grace to come clean if theres not something in it for him, its not in his nature, if and when he does, just watch, every word of it will be self serving dribble.
    If he has the courage to come clean with out there being somerthing in it for him other than pride, i will listen and might give him some respect for it, but a sociopath doesnt have that in his nature to do that.
    The guy has called everybody that was a witness against him a liar, he has done his best to wreck careers and destroy others that dared to speak out against him, coming clean at this point will actually make him look worse not better, especially if he is doing it to get himself back in competition, it will be the lowest of low moves and show just what a narcissist and sociopath he really is.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  56. #456
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Heyall, im onto lances personality like many others are, if and when he does, it will be narcissistic, self serving, sociopathic, it will be constructed to avoid any blame and paint himself out to be a victim and hero.
    I f its just to get his riding ticket back it will be a total sham and disgrace.
    Lance does not have the grace to come clean if theres not something in it for him, its not in his nature, if and when he does, just watch, every word of it will be self serving dribble.
    If he has the courage to come clean with out there being somerthing in it for him other than pride, i will listen and might give him some respect for it, but a sociopath doesnt have that in his nature to do that.
    The guy has called everybody that was a witness against him a liar, he has done his best to wreck careers and destroy others that dared to speak out against him, coming clean at this point will actually make him look worse not better, especially if he is doing it to get himself back in competition, it will be the lowest of low moves and show just what a narcissist and sociopath he really is.
    i am kinda on the same page... if his actions did not hurt others as much as they did, including career ending moves and millions of dollars in damages - maybe, just maybe he would stand a chance...

    this way - i doubt it. just watched "the world according to Lance" again... the most organized crime within the sport... sigh...
    Signature

  57. #457
    mtbr member
    Reputation: June Bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,687

    Report: Armstrong weighs admitting to doping

    Report: Armstrong weighs admitting to doping

    AUSTIN -- The New York Times is reporting Friday that Lance Armstrong -- who has strongly denied the doping charges that led to him being stripped of his seven Tour de France titles -- has told associates he is considering admitting he used performance-enhancing drugs.

    The report is based on anonymous sources and says Armstrong is considering a confession to help restore his athletic career in triathlons and running events at age 41. Armstrong was been banned for life from cycling and cannot compete in athletic events sanctioned by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency and the World Anti-Doping Agency.

    Yet Armstrong attorney Tim Herman denies that the cyclist has reached out to USADA chief executive Travis Tygart and David Howman, director general of the World Anti-Doping Agency.

    Herman tells The Associated Press he has no knowledge of Armstrong considering a confession and said, "When, and if, Lance has something to say, there won't be any secret about it."

  58. #458
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    Tone's I'm with you. I am just saying this is a big step...the right step too.

    Note to self: lurk
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

  59. #459
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,060
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Tone's I'm with you. I am just saying this is a big step...the right step too.

    Note to self: lurk
    may be a good script for a movie... that's about it...

    too little too late...
    Signature

  60. #460
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,020
    Regarding Mr. Armstrong -this is no longer about just him; whether he doped. We all know there is the mountain of mess he created in maintaining innocence at the expense of putting a lot of people 'under the bus'. This last bit just seems insurmountable, and rightly is I think. 'The Matter of Armstrong' is far beyond any "confession" could adequately address.


    .
    Last edited by grandsalmon; 01-05-2013 at 10:38 AM.

  61. #461
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    It will be a carefully scripted, sociopathic,load of dribble, if he wants to confess for the right reasons i'll have a listen, but if its because he wants to get back into pro riding, its a total disgrace of a reason and it wont even be worth the 10 minute press conference.
    Actually that's the reason why he is considering confessing, so anti doping officials might restore his eligibility to continue his athletic career. You were bang on.

  62. #462
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1
    Yes believe he is clean and will "confess" just to have the lifetime sports ban lifted.

  63. #463
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesZA View Post
    Yes believe he is clean and will "confess" just to have the lifetime sports ban lifted.
    CONGRATULATIONS Jacques, this is officially the silliest first post in the history of MTBR, its onlt downhill from here mate
    Last edited by Tone's; 01-05-2013 at 01:43 AM.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  64. #464
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    I love the way so many folks keep trying to defend this dude. Yes, lots of other schmucks, myself included, have made big mistakes. But this Armstrong destroyed the lives of a number of people. I mean ruined people. Now he wants to come clean? Great.

    Let the dude go ride his bike with a number on his back. Who cares. Maybe he'll find a way to earn some more money for cancer.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 01-05-2013 at 02:39 AM.

  65. #465
    May The Force Be With You
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,212
    much like the movie the Thomas Crown Affair, the only ones who care are a bunch of rich people
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

  66. #466
    Bro
    Bro is offline
    Content from my avatar
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,356
    I'm beyond caring whether he comes clean. When this whole thing started -- not with the USADA investigation, not with the federal investigations, but with his very first positive/questionable drug test, he should have come clean.

    But no. He denied, he bribed, he manipulated. He cheated. And then he denied it all. He took us for fools.

    And now he wants to come clean after his reputation has been destroyed, after he's been exposed as the filth that he is. And he thinks a simple confession will undo all that. He thinks he'll be able to return to the sport as though nothing ever happened.

    **** that. Save it, Lance. Go ahead and confess for your own mental well-being, but don't expect it to change anything. What's done is done, and what's done is beyond repair. Leave the sport, leave competition, and take Patty McQuaid and his cronies with you. You had your chance, Lance.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

  67. #467
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    ^^^^ well said Erik, i feel exactly the same..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  68. #468
    banned
    Reputation: Spinning Lizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,435
    I hope when he does confess that he says Pat was on the take. If he just confesses without going through ALL the details then screw him.

  69. #469
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    79
    The guy is CONSIDERING a confession. Ye right. Now is layer team collect information on the people reaction and authority, and if everything is right he will confess?

    Considering to confess isn't that a confession in its own?
    At least now is supporter must believe he dope? Or is it a complot from Lance to recover the right to race. And to do so he will lie to use once again be telling us what we want to hear from him? :P
    I don’t believe 1 word coming out from his mouth, I hope the American cycling association won’t let him ride for a confession…

    Just the fact that he is considering it, and even worsts him makes it public! Tell you a lots about the guy.

    I never had respect for him, and i will never have.

  70. #470
    18+ years in the saddle
    Reputation: ViperNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5
    I wish he didn't... hard to find heros these days and he was one of them.
    Viper
    2010 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2011 Trek Remedy 9.9
    2011 Bianchi Infinito C2C

  71. #471
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    I hope when he does confess that he says Pat was on the take. If he just confesses without going through ALL the details then screw him.

    If he did so it will be is only contribution tho the cycling world. It would be awsome

  72. #472
    mtbr member
    Reputation: June Bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon View Post
    ...We all know there is the mountain of mess he created in maintaining innocence at the expense of putting a lot of people 'under the bus'. This last bit just seems insurmountable, and rightly is, far beyond any "confession" could address.
    But this Armstrong destroyed the lives of a number of people. I mean ruined people.
    The irony of wanting his reputation and eligibility restored after he ruined and threatened to ruin so many others.....

    I was thinking this week that Lance was laying low & being awfully quiet -- perhaps preemptively paying off lawsuits right and left.

    re: His "associates" just happen to mention it to a reporter, but his lawyer just doesn't know a thing about it. (When the term "associates" is used in a news item it seems always to subtly reference an element of criminality and is used when discussing drug dealers, professional criminals, mob types, organized crime, so it was intriguing to see it popping up in an article about LA.)

    When items like this show up, they are part of an extremely well orchestrated PR strategy, the first step in a process of rehabilitating the LA brand in the media by creating a carefully crafted and appropriately contrite persona.

    In terms of the eligibility issues, Travis Tygart would settle for nothing less than a full confession....no stone unturned. And it may also be likely that the window of confession is past, as far as USADA is concerned, but I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV, so who knows.
    Last edited by June Bug; 01-05-2013 at 07:36 AM.

  73. #473
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14
    Confess to what?
    Blood doping? EPO? HGH? Steroids?
    Or confess to perjury, libel, slander, deceiving millions of cancer victims and so on?
    All that so he can race clean against guys 20 years younger?
    Doesn't make sense. He's lied before and confession at this point is more of the same.

  74. #474
    Flow like water
    Reputation: DavyRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    711
    It would be much easier for Lance if he were a country music star.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

  75. #475
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,060
    he is still your hero?
    Signature

  76. #476
    ...but I'm a Silly Hunter
    Reputation: Haint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,220
    I'd be sick if it were that Burry Stander's death on Thrusday due that accident in South Africa offered some type of proliferations for Lance Armstrong to have a media campaign. Blind leading the Blind...
    Should Armstrong go ahead and fall in line w/ IOC rules now, IOC should absolutely re-write Doping Laws to where LA is still the Born Loser.

    ...wait, UCI, not the Olympic Commitee.

  77. #477
    Flow like water
    Reputation: DavyRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    It would be much easier for Lance if he were a country music star.
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    he is still your hero?
    He never was a hero to me.

    If he had the sense of a country music star, though, he would have come to Jesus already.
    He would have had the chore of confessing his sins and testifying on multiple media outlets, in titillating detail. Of course, a fess-up book would follow soon. Country music stars who get caught with their pants down and illegally high always make an album of religious songs as well. Helps the bottom line even more.

    I think the gospel album might be a stretch for LA, especially since he has not confessed or repented at all.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

  78. #478
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    344
    God, I tried to just lurk, but this latest "news" is too much.

    I smell a rat in the form of a deal to sell out Bruyneel, and make him the evil force with restraints and needles in hand as the poor, pitiful, meek Lance attempted to hide - in the kitchen next to the blood bags with the labels to date each sample. Bruyneel becomes the Darth Vader of cycling and Lance gets to participate in events but cannot accept prize money.

    If true, the question is whether Lance dreamed this up or whether the USADA felt it needed a bombshell live witness to cast Bruyneel as DV to show the cycling world that the bad guys have been rooted out, and its safe of fans - and sponsors - to jump back in the cycling waters.

    Or, it could be a terrific prank by someone as bored as me who can't ride because of all of the f#$king rain!
    Will trade for some chicken.

  79. #479
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,020
    ^^^I'm on board.


    .

  80. #480
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26,610
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I'm beyond caring whether he comes clean. When this whole thing started -- not with the USADA investigation, not with the federal investigations, but with his very first positive/questionable drug test, he should have come clean.

    But no. He denied, he bribed, he manipulated. He cheated. And then he denied it all. He took us for fools.

    And now he wants to come clean after his reputation has been destroyed, after he's been exposed as the filth that he is. And he thinks a simple confession will undo all that. He thinks he'll be able to return to the sport as though nothing ever happened.

    **** that. Save it, Lance. Go ahead and confess for your own mental well-being, but don't expect it to change anything. What's done is done, and what's done is beyond repair. Leave the sport, leave competition, and take Patty McQuaid and his cronies with you. You had your chance, Lance.
    That sounds a bit naive. I doubt even LA thinks he'll be able to return to the sport as if nothing happened. He might like to do that, but he probably realizes anything he does is tainted for the future for a long time and he'll have a long way to go to even have a chance at "making it up". It just sounds outlandish to say that he thinks he'll be able to return back as if nothing happened. It sounds like you just want him shot or something. I think the post a few back that said "continuing to tell a lie is much easier than coming clean" is correct. He only has one shot at life, so it's not unreasonable to expect humans to do irrational things in exceptional situations. I think the damage is already done, but I wouldn't put a human in a situation where he can "never recover", unless it was some kind of crime like murder.

    Wanting someone to "come clean" for the "good of humanity" when there's no chance for them to ever do better and make it up gets to be a little selfish and insecure IMO, it seems to be self-serving for the observer that can't make up their mind based on the evidence and "needs closure".

    If he does "come clean" and they say: "no, we won't life your ban, but thank you very much", I won't care all that much. If they say "ok, if you do, this, this this and this, then at this point we'll consider it or lift it", then I still won't care all that much, but I won't think that is "getting away with it". "Getting away with it" is what he did in the past, and it's not what happens when everyone in the world knows you did it and your empire and reputation comes crashing down.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  81. #481
    Bro
    Bro is offline
    Content from my avatar
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,356
    Jay, I think you confused my words. I don't care whether he confesses -- what's done is done, there's no changing that, and a confession after everything that has happened is too little, too late.

    The original source that reported this -- the NY Times -- states, "He would do this, the people said, because he wants to persuade antidoping officials to restore his eligibility so he can resume his athletic career."

    He's considering this confession just so that he can continue to race and make money. That's where I take issue with this confession. It's a ploy so that he doesn't have to face the consequences of his decisions to dope and then lie about it for years and years and years, while threatening anyone who tried to expose his lie. After he realized those consequences, he decided, "No, I don't wanna deal with that." And now he's looking for a way to skip out on those consequences.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

  82. #482
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26,610
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    He's considering this confession just so that he can continue to race and make money. That's where I take issue with this confession. It's a ploy so that he doesn't have to face the consequences of his decisions to dope and then lie about it for years and years and years, while threatening anyone who tried to expose his lie. After he realized those consequences, he decided, "No, I don't wanna deal with that." And now he's looking for a way to skip out on those consequences.
    And if sponsors start asking for money back, where is it going to come from, assuming it's more than he has on hand? Exactly how is he going to "make money" by racing?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  83. #483
    Bro
    Bro is offline
    Content from my avatar
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    And if sponsors start asking for money back, where is it going to come from, assuming it's more than he has on hand? Exactly how is he going to "make money" by racing?
    Professional racing -- whether on bikes or in triathlons -- is exactly that. You're paid to race.

    And this is exactly the type of consequence that he's trying to avoid by trying to start racing again; he can make money by racing and pay those sponsors and fulfill the terms of his sponsorship contracts by racing. He should face those consequences just like everyone else would and figure it out.

    There are plenty of ways to make money without racing bikes. For one, he could find a job outside the bike industry.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

  84. #484
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26,610
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Professional racing -- whether on bikes or in triathlons -- is exactly that. You're paid to race.

    And this is exactly the type of consequence that he's trying to avoid by trying to start racing again; he can make money by racing and pay those sponsors and fulfill the terms of his sponsorship contracts by racing. He should face those consequences just like everyone else would and figure it out.

    There are plenty of ways to make money without racing bikes. For one, he could find a job outside the bike industry.
    Come on now, you know this isn't major league baseball or NBA. "Professional" road racing is just above amateur bowling. They aren't working for a company, they are paid by sponsors ultimately. Your assertion was that he is thinking he can just return to the sport as if nothing happened. I still think you aren't being realistic. If LA himself knows he did this, he also knows he isn't going to pick up sponsors, hence, he knows that he isn't going to be able to just return, pick up Nike, Trek and a bunch of other stuff, and rake in millions. That seems to be what you think he's trying to get? I just can't see any way that he or anyone else would think that is the goal by "coming clean". He's obviously doing it for his own benefit, but "as if nothing had happened"? Come on now.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  85. #485
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    FWIW, Lance has hauled in large green for appearance fees, I imagine that he is losing a good portion of income not being eligable to compete in the Tri events.

  86. #486
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26,610
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    FWIW, Lance has hauled in large green for appearance fees, I imagine that he is losing a good portion of income not being eligable to compete in the Tri events.
    And you assume people are going to pay him to appear after what he's done and the only thing that controls this is the USADA?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  87. #487
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    And you assume people are going to pay him to appear after what he's done and the only thing that controls this is the USADA?


    Yes, they still pay him to appear at Tri's. USADA does not sanction all events and some Tri's have gone so far as to drop their USADA affiliation in order for Lance to appear.

  88. #488
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    I hope when he does confess that he says Pat was on the take. If he just confesses without going through ALL the details then screw him.
    Yes, and also out that other UCI drug coverupping scumball Hein Verbruggen
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  89. #489
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    And you assume people are going to pay him to appear after what he's done and the only thing that controls this is the USADA?
    The guy's totally radioactive. No way any reputable company would sponsor him in any sport. Only American more radioactive is John Edwards
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  90. #490
    Bro
    Bro is offline
    Content from my avatar
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    And you assume people are going to pay him to appear after what he's done and the only thing that controls this is the USADA?
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Yes, they still pay him to appear at Tri's. USADA does not sanction all events and some Tri's have gone so far as to drop their USADA affiliation in order for Lance to appear.
    Yup. He also appeared at several unsanctioned mountain bike races after USADA's reasoned decision was handed over to UCI.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

  91. #491
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,305

    there's no fail like a toll's fail

    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    in responding to a post clearly directed at someone else as though it was directed at you personally you've scored the coveted "troll twofer" -- epic troll combined with epic fail.

    congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb
    why thank you! Your reading enjoyment is paramount.
    hmmmmm.... let's review your contribution to this thread:



    the only discernible difference being that stepping in canine residue barefooted is far more enjoyable than your offerings herein. so if you're under the delusion that you've provided reading enjoyment for pretty much anyone you've just kicked it up a notch to the elusive triple troll fail -- the "trifailcta".
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  92. #492
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    And you assume people are going to pay him to appear after what he's done and the only thing that controls this is the USADA?
    absolutely... there are still promoters with more money than morals and brains out there...
    Signature

  93. #493
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169
    Do you believe Lance Armstrong is clean?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357501936.378732.jpg
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  94. #494
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5
    I was always suspicious after the guys he was beating were all caught doping. It's one thing to be great but to be great AND beat all these guys who were doping....just seemed too good to be true.

  95. #495
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    17
    Armstrong is a Legend!

  96. #496
    Sup
    Reputation: Burnt-Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,696
    all legends are not good!
    I am slow therefore I am

  97. #497
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by trinajstich View Post
    Armstrong is a Legend!
    LOL, A doping and cheating legend.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  98. #498
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    644
    Being infamous is still being famous.....

  99. #499
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,060
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    all legends are not good!
    you have a space in your signature, where it doesn't belong.

    it is freaking me out.
    Signature

  100. #500
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    Tones loves Lance Armstrong
    Tone's did confess that to me in a private message, but he said he would deny it if I were ever to reveal it in public.
    Last edited by jackbombay; 01-08-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •