Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Do you bash your bash guard? Smash chainrings?

Not long ago bash guards were all the rage... Then 2x10 and 1x got popular, and it seems the bashguard is dead.

I dont remember the last time I hit mine, so today I removed it. 160g saved, and honestly I like the look. I noticed one solid scuff in the guard, so Ive hit it at least once I suppose.

How often are you guys dinging chainrings on the trail? I know its very rider and trail dependant. Its just sort of intetesting how gear trends change. In the 9 speed days people would post about bash guards like they were dragging them over rocks daily!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I bashed mine to heck, even bent a crank, but then I was into trialsin then. I've nicked my 2x front ring, no bashing, a couple times get over stuff. Dang low BB FS modern geometry! Also pedal strike a lot now.
    Oh, and go check out in the apparel and protection forum with the guy asking for recommendations on shin protection. it's like a PSA graphic endorsement for bash rings!

mtbr member
    I've only ever had 3x drivetrains. The big rings have always had their share of bashing on rocks or log overs, it happens. I just replaced my drivetrain with a 2x slx crank, and going 1x10 with a praxis cassette/crankworks 30T. A bash guard / chain guide, might end up being worthwhile. we'll see how it goes....

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I used to smack mine but now I have single 28t ring and have only hit a couple of logs so far. If I get a bigger ring next I will probably need guard.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Rarely bash mine. Did once about three years ago. Gamut bashguard. Polycarbonate. Hit a tree root crown. The guard broke off, and then my chainring took the remaining brunt of the impact. Ovalized and sheered the ring off, and I lost some of the bolts. I was so proud to actually have riden hard enough to damage the bike that I still have that ovalized ring on my office wall. (Then I had to walk the bike several miles back to the car, because it was a 1x setup).

I like my bashguards more for looks than for bashing, to be honest. It's a bling thing. They also keep my pants out of the rings when I'm taking a casual ride around the neighborhood.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Not often, I have a 1x so I use a taco type guard. I probably only make contact with it a couple dozen times a ride, and really not more than a couple good solid cringe worthy smacks per ride. I do run a 32t front ring though, might be a bit better with a smaller ring. The plastic taco guard doesn't hold up as well as the old metal chain ring replacement. It needs to be replaced annually to keep the chain off the rocks.

since 4/10/2009
    I use an ISCG05 taco bash from Blackspire (Bruiser). I've given it a few good whacks, so I consider it a good piece of gear to keep the rocks from chewing up my chain and/or chainring.

mtbr member
    1x here... chain is BG ^^

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

Professional Crastinator
    Still running a 22-32-44... I have to file or cut off about 1 flat/bent tooth per season, esp. if I visit PA a few times. Moraine has taken the most of them.
    I once missed a step-up and completely flatted it. Had to pound it out with a rock so I could use the middle ring.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Not long ago bash guards were all the rage... Then 2x10 and 1x got popular, and it seems the bashguard is dead.

I dont remember the last time I hit mine, so today I removed it. 160g saved, and honestly I like the look. I noticed one solid scuff in the guard, so Ive hit it at least once I suppose.

How often are you guys dinging chainrings on the trail? I know its very rider and trail dependant. Its just sort of intetesting how gear trends change. In the 9 speed days people would post about bash guards like they were dragging them over rocks daily!
    our trails are all ledges up. Mine is chewed up my cranks are scarred as well.

Most other places Ive ridden have had almost no tech (so cal, colorado, new mexico) but lots of grinding climbs where a bash isnt necessary.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The 44t on my old bike is pretty chewed, particularly the part that points down when my right pedal is forward. And I feel impacts on occasion.

Every now and then, I hit the bash guard covering my 36t. But infrequently, and there wasn't much wrong with the unguarded 38 I took off that bike, except that it was paired with a ring I didn't like.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    If in doubt about clearance, I use caution and hoof it over the obstacle. I'd rather look like an amateur than have to buy another $70 ring.
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I like my bashguards more for looks than for bashing, to be honest. It's a bling thing. They also keep my pants out of the rings when I'm taking a casual ride around the neighborhood.
    That's why I keep mine on too. I think they look awesome.
    "Lock S-Foils in attack position"

mtbr member
    I have iscg05 tabs and use a MRP XCg. It has smacked logs and roots a few times, nothing big. I have hit my lower link a few times also.

I probably could remove it since I run a 2x and could ride my small ring if I mangled the big ring, but my bike isn't really trying to be a weight weenie.

Ride Instigator
    I had a clumsy moment some years back when running no bashguard and ripped the back of my calf pretty good on my outer chainring. Another function of a bashguard could be as a calfguard.

mtbr member
    My bashguard is pretty beat up and missing a piece or two, but I'm not sure how or when this happened. The 44t ring that occupied the same space before is missing 3 teeth, lost due to contact with concrete while riding urban.

I too have found the bashguard keeps my pants from getting chewed by the chain.

Warrior's Society
    Stopped running them years ago.

With the new 1x systems and smaller chainrings, ring clearance is much improved.

I won't say it never happens....and some places are more prone to it than others....but it hasn't been an issue for a long time.

Plus, I refuse to mount a bash guard on the SS.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

MoJo Moto
    Hit mine all the time... rocky ledges all over the place.
    Ride Hard or Ride Home Alone.

mtbr member
    For me it's not about how often you grind something but the possible consequences of even one big hit. My neighbour killed his big ring with one solid rock strike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Chainring strikes for me are like the black mark you get on your calf from your chainring. It happened often when I started riding, but not so much these days.

I would run one on my running around town bike to keep my pants from getting torn up, or if I was riding trails where chanring strikes were more likely.

mtbr member
    I run a $17 (shipped) BBG Bashguard on all my bikes as cheap insurance for my chainrings. I go over too many logs and crap.

All fat, all the time.
    My bbg on two older bike were well beat up.
    New bike I use an iscg05 , took a couple good hits, would have damaged my single ring I'm sure.
    The more you ride, the easier it gets........
    the easier it gets, the more you ride.
    vicious circle

The perfessor
    - I've gotten into riding a lot of trails I've never been on, and my bash guard comes in handy.......they have their purpose so if you're just riding your normal cruise, you probably don't need one but if you ride the unknown, use it............
    29er Ti SS Rigid / 29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    I stripped down my bike this weekend for some long overdue TLC and when I pulled off my cranks I thought about this thread and inspected my bash guard. What I found was 2 pretty significant strike marks that would surely have injured my chain ring had the BG not been there. On the other hand though, I know for a fact that those two marks have been there for a few years and I didn't notice ANY new marks.

So, in conclusion, I don't seem to NEED my BG anymore BUT, I think it looks Rad, so I'm keeping it.
    "Lock S-Foils in attack position"

broken hipster
    I climb over a lot of logs on my trails and the chainring helps, rocks I try to avoid.
    No damage yet on a single Absolute Black 32t oval.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast