Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    No. the beaches where I live are entirely sand, not a rock or even pebble to be seen. If I were to go down and hit my head hard enough to have a problem I wouldn't expect anybody to help me. If I take the risk the solution is entirely on me not anyone else.

I guess what I should have said is I won't ride trails with somebody who refuses to wear a helmet because part of riding with somebody is assuming that you will help them if there is a problem and if they choose to put themselves in a compromised position I don't want to have to pick up the pieces. If an injury is sustained while wearing a helmet at least reasonable precautions were taken.
    I think you would choose to help someone if they were riding with you without a helmet and hit their head. But, you don't want to face that situation of helping someone with whom you have different principles.
    So, you'd rather cancel your ride than face the 1 in a million chance that the horrible situation of helping someone might actually occur.

That is some entertaining logic! Entertaining, but also disturbing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ^^ I have left before and gone elsewhere when someone showed up without a helmet by choice. It was a long time ago but, yes I chose to leave that person to ride by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    So, hypothetically speaking of course, if you 'went down' on this pristine beach, that presumably has no blacktop pathways to reach from where you live, no posts, fences or whatever around it, and you landed badly and broke your neck, you would be fine if I rode right on by without a second glance? Silly! You have a slightly different level of risk acceptance to me, but it is a level of risk acceptance nonetheless.

As for not riding with someone who does not wear a helmet, because you are unwilling to help them out if they have put themselves in a 'compromised position', do you make sure for instance that the helmet they are wearing is fit for purpose before you ride? Perhaps they have had a ding in it before and not changed it, or the straps are about to break... does this mean they have put themselves in a compromised position, and might be duping you into helping them if they go down and hit their heads?!? A bit of a silly argument, granted, but no more silly than the opposite side, to my mind...
    The nearest beach that I can ride my fatbike on is a little over 60 miles away so no there is no path to ride to get to it. Right from the car to the sand when I get there. When I get to go to some of the New England or north shore of LI beaches I do wear my helmet because most of them are so rocky. Neck injuries are not head injuries, don't be so obtuse.

I do help people readjust helmet straps etc. if necessary. Even something as simple as a branch to the forehead can be devastating if the helmet isn't on properly. In Feb 1988 my roommate and I were skiing trees and he took a branch to the forehead and got knocked out cold for almost 20 minutes. I sat there with his head in my lap freezing my @ss off and then it took us almost two hours to get out to where I could get him help. I started wearing a helmet skiing the next day. I don't ever want to go through that again so my choice is to do what I can to avoid the problem.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    ^^ I have left before and gone elsewhere when someone showed up without a helmet by choice. It was a long time ago but, yes I chose to leave that person to ride by himself.

Neck injuries are not head injuries, don't be so obtuse.

I do help people readjust helmet straps etc. if necessary.
    So if you see a cyclist lying down beside the trail with an injury and no helmet, you're saying you will get off and check if he has head injuries or neck injuries? If the former, you're going to leave him and ride on? Do you see how ridiculous your arguments are? You're calling me obtuse?!?

Your pal's skiing mishap bears no relation to anything we are talking about. Good for you for helping him out tho.

I am going to grill flank steak, remember to wear a helmet when playing with fireworks kids!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    I feel pretty naked without one.

I'm another... grew up riding before helmets were really around, certainly not required gear for riding your bmx off some sweet jumps in the 'hood. I got my first helmet, soon after I got my first mtb... after a mild concussion... back in '91.

I've taken it off for a long climb, and I've ridden once or twice, when I forgot my helmet (did not like), but other than something like a beach cruise or a parking lot test... I'm wearing a lid.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    So if you see a cyclist lying down beside the trail with an injury and no helmet, you're saying you will get off and check if he has head injuries or neck injuries? If the former, you're going to leave him and ride on? Do you see how ridiculous your arguments are? You're calling me obtuse?!?

Your pal's skiing mishap bears no relation to anything we are talking about. Good for you for helping him out tho.

^^ Agree.

And what about me and my hiking buddies, we are 52, 64 and 75 years of age respectively. I ought to make myself judge and jury by deciding guys this old are being irresponsible for hiking and pushing through the rough terrain and elevation. Leave them there for the crows if they vapor-lock right ?

In my case, I'm 52 and ramping up my activity some (trying to do so intelligently) so I don't have a weekend warrior major health issue.
    I've read of many younger runners in 5, 10k or half marathons that met their end with some underlying (presumably undetected) health issue and all in their 20's or 30's.
    Honest !! I'm trying to be smart and careful but do they just leave me for the wildlife if my decision ultimately put me in jeopardy ?

I'm hopeful the heat of the moment argument causes people to say things they don't really mean sometimes. Many apologies have been stated for writing something that was a bit overboard but leaving anyone behind is a wrong that can't be fixed.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have friend who don't wear helmets. It's funny the beginners the ones who are in most danger of crashing don't wear them. But you hit your head a few times and you learn. I wouldn't not help them.. Or anyone for that matter.. And I don't preach to them about it.. Though, as I ride with people and they see me wearing one they usually pick one up.. Lead by example, don't be an a hole.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Co Springs
    Helmets are required on the AFA grounds and probably any military base. I don't ride there often but the Santa Fe trail wanders through it and I don't have to remember to take the helmet b/c it's part of my 'stuff' for a ride or the car when I load up. I do think of it though b/c I'll remind anyone who's meeting me there they need theirs.

When I worked the Adaptive ski program in Winter Park, helmets were the rule for instructors so we lead the effort to convert or set the example. They were warm and comfortable and I found skiing with goggles was a better fit with the helmet.

Getting back to motorcycling was an eye opener for me a number of years ago when I came back to it from the old 3/4 helmet days. I got a f/f and am so pleased with it's comfort and fit, no wind noise, makes cold rides very comfortable down the 20's etc.... Just becomes part of the uniform after a while.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin View Post
    whether it's just a quick spin in the neighborhood or some other place, so you always wear a helmet?

yes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No, not always. In warm weather on the paved bike/hike path I go without. Cold weather wear helmet. Always wear helmet trail riding.

FWIW

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Do you always wear a helmet no matter where you go on your bike?

No but usually. It's all a calculated risk... Unless your to stupid to calculate the risks then may god be on your side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jprabaker View Post
    Unless your to stupid

He he

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    He he
    Classic!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I was on a casual ride with some newbies a few weeks ago and had a hard crash. I was coming down the paved path in a manor I've done a hundred times. I didn't see a thin layer of dirt at the bottom and when I started to make my turn, BAM!!! the bike slid out from under me like someone yanking a carpet. I hit should/head first, cracking my helmet in two places.

I'll never ride without one...
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

Elitest thrill junkie
    I found a person during the weekend that had gotten a concussion. He was at the top of a closed trail and I saw one helmet between the two people. no idea if he was wearing one, but it was a good advertisement to wear one for sure. They were looking for the quickest way to walk out. Luckily it was a city park with roads nearby.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    I was on a casual ride with some newbies a few weeks ago and had a hard crash. I was coming down the paved path in a manor I've done a hundred times. I didn't see a thin layer of dirt at the bottom and when I started to make my turn, BAM!!! the bike slid out from under me like someone yanking a carpet. I hit should/head first, cracking my helmet in two places.

I'll never ride without one...
    That's the thing that resonates with me.
    5000 people can tell me (or you hear the stories) of "many rides and never used one or needed it.."

and yet you won't know when you're going to need it ...

and yet thousands of experienced riders with tremendous skills crash all the time ... many times it's stated they were on the trail or section they've done lots of times w/o any previous problems.

Stuff happens and sometimes left untreated or checked, some don't wake up from a concussion.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5