Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVA_JB View Post
    I do because I have kids and I try to set a good example for them.
    I second that.

mtbr member
    Yes, normally.
    Two weekends ago went out with my wife. About 5 minutes into the ride I noticed a lot more sweat dripping down my face than usual. Then it hit me; no helmet! Left it back in the truck. I pulled over and looked at my wife and asked "what's wrong with this picture?". She says "oooooooohhhhh, you forgot your helmet! Doh!

beater

Do you always wear a helmet no matter where you go on your bike?

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I know a guy with great bike handling skills who was screwing around right outside his house and banged his head. Ended up in the ER and permanently lost his sense of taste and smell.
    This is why although I'll do long hot climbs or roll to the brewery without my helmet, if I'm just screwing around in the driveway practicing manuals, etc., I put it on.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

sympathy for society
    When common sense tells me to, I wear one.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

derp
    I'll be honest, if i know ill only be cruising around the neighborhood i won't wear one and depending on traffic conditions sometimes i don't wear one when going to work ( < 1km ride ).
    If i'm trail riding, yeah i will always use one and if i know there will be significant traffic i'll wear one even if the ride is short.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yes. For awhile I didn't ride it pedaling around with my kids but I realized I was being an awful example. Now I wear it all the time.

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    So... I was climbing Canyon trail in Annadel this afternoon and came upon a downed rider. He had a bloody bump on his noggin and a few other scrapes and abrasions. I asked him his name, if he knew what day it was and where he was. He was VERY slow answering. I asked where his helmet was, so I could see what damage it had sustained. He said he wasn't wearing one and that he had forgotten it in the car. Fortunately he was with others (one with a helmet and one without) and they had all the needed info for the emergency responders when they arrived. The injured rider is 17 and invincible (as we all were at that age), so he didn't need a helmet, until he did.
    Last edited by chuckha62; 07-02-2014 at 06:37 AM.

Motion activated
    In 35 years of riding bikes I've only ever hit my head once. And I wasn't wearing a helmet. Knocked myself out pretty good and couldn't remember the last six months of my life. It came back to me after a day or so, but it was a real mind F&*K.

On the trail I always wear a helmet, but if I'm just messing around I don't.

Now-a-days I mostly ride my KTM, with $2500 worth of armor and braces strapped to my body. Even with a helmet, I feel totally naked on my MTB.

Honestly, sh!t can happen anytime on or off the bike.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Only time you'll catch me without a helmet is when I am tuning the bike. I'm not riding faster than I can run, and I never wore a helment when I ran.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Several people have mentioned that they aren't going very fast so they don't need a helmet.
    I don't think anyone said this? What they said is the risk of a crash when riding very slowly on a non-technical surface is so small, they are willing to take the chance. Saying you decide to take a chance is a totally different thing than saying there is no risk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I always wear one on the trails, but not under certain circumstances otherwise...like on the beach cruiser at the beach...not happening. When cruising around on bike paths or the park with my kids at their 4 and 2 year old pace. Of course there is risk in avoiding wearing a helmet then...just like their is risk in running without a helmet, or driving a car without a helmet, and risk of getting hit by lightning....but the risk is low.

It's about showing up.
    Always.

I've broken 5.
    I don't rattle.

Trail Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin View Post
    Whether it's just a quick spin in the neighborhood or some other place, so you always wear a helmet?
    Yes.

mtbr member

Do you always wear a helmet no matter where you go on your bike?

I do commuting and trail riding. When im pulling the trailer neighbourhood cruising with my wife nope, the kid does in the trailer. My wife bikes painfully slow....

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post

Seriously though, my PERSONAL opinion, well-founded from my own experience, and backed up by much statistical evidence (!), tells me that wearing a helmet when I do is a good way for me to continue.

I still don't need holier-than-thou types trying to force their agenda upon me. I have sometimes been admonished by complete strangers on easy trails for not wearing a helmet, I have been turned down when I offered to ride with someone who didn't look too chipper out in the heat because I wasn't wearing a helmet, and I even had someone who came out on one of the rides I was leading decide to not join in because I did not wear a helmet from the parking lot up to the TH! His loss. It was a great ride, and, surprise surprise! No one died from head injury...
    Well that is pretty surprising....
    I've heard of and expect some motorcyclists to have strong opinions about helmet-less riders and even skip riding with those less like-minded about 'acceptable risks' but bicyclist's (some) must feel it carries the same weight.

Although I don't agree when someone unsolicited pushes their agenda about wearing helmets, I respect the fact that believers (some of the helmet crowd) feel strongly enough to choose who they'll ride with and who they won't.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Always!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Always.

I've broken 5.
    Dude, take up ping pong! FIVE helmets?

I've broken one - and I was inebriated at the time - the innebriation risk is the easiest one to modify, let me tell you!

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Well that is pretty surprising....
    I've heard of and expect some motorcyclists to have strong opinions about helmet-less riders and even skip riding with those less like-minded about 'acceptable risks' but bicyclist's (some) must feel it carries the same weight.

Although I don't agree when someone unsolicited pushes their agenda about wearing helmets, I respect the fact that believers (some of the helmet crowd) feel strongly enough to choose who they'll ride with and who they won't.
    What is surprising? Which part? I too can 'respect' the fact that some people might not want to ride with people who do not always wear a helmet, altho I would not say that the term is used there in its true meaning! My personal feeling is more akin to how I feel about religious evangelists, or people who do not associate with others who smoke cigarettes... It takes all sorts, but despite their beliefs, I would welcome them all on a ride with me.
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    Dude, take up ping pong! FIVE helmets?

I've broken one - and I was inebriated at the time - the innebriation risk is the easiest one to modify, let me tell you!
    Ping-Pong can be extremely dangerous. Just think about it, you might be throwing your body at full stretch one way or the other, and the floor is only a few feet away at any time, and usually hard. Not to mention hard wooden table corners, net posts, referees, and those little balls can pack a punch...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Always unless it's a fatbike ride on the beach.

I won't ride with somebody not wearing a helmet either. A few years back this guy showed up for a group ride without a helmet and I explained that I won't even help him if he goes down with a head injury I will just keep riding and leave him there to sort it out for himself. He insisted on going out with the group anyway so I left because everybody told me how inconsiderate I was. I don't talk to most of those guys anymore...

mtbr member
    I wear a helmet every ride on my bike or skis. I have too much to live for to not take every precaution. I've had kids in class at the school where I teach who had traumatic brain injuries from stupid stunts (atv's etc.) and its both scary and sad to see what it does to you. No way do I ever want to be a burden on my family because I didn't put on a lid. But having said that, to each his own, I'm not going to force anyone to wear a helmet and rob them of their Darwin award.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm a helmet wearing rider and will be for the rest of my days... but I'm not some smug Dbag who tries to control other peoples decisions. I believe it's a personal choice and it's not up to me or anyone to force it upon others. I am certainly not about to go off crying my separate way because another rider doesn't have one on. It won't be my head that gets scrambled like an egg if a fall should occur. But I live my life by the 'live and let live' code, I understand there are those who are pretentious and think otherwise though.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAK View Post
    I am certainly not about to go off crying my separate way because another rider doesn't have one on. It won't be my head that gets scrambled like an egg if a fall should occur.
    Nope, but you'll get to pay for it, in the form of insurance premiums, local taxes, and increased prices for services to pay off lawsuits...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I take mine off when riding on the beach. It's nice to feel the cool air on your head.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Always unless it's a fatbike ride on the beach.

I won't ride with somebody not wearing a helmet either. A few years back this guy showed up for a group ride without a helmet and I explained that I won't even help him if he goes down with a head injury I will just keep riding and leave him there to sort it out for himself. He insisted on going out with the group anyway so I left because everybody told me how inconsiderate I was. I don't talk to most of those guys anymore...
    Live by double standards much? This is possibly the most hypocritical post in this thread. You refuse to ride with people not wearing helmets, but will ride without one yourself in certain instances? Am I missing something here? You would seriously leave someone on the side of the trail if you came across them injured and without a helmet?!? Perhaps try suckling a little more at the teat of the milk of human kindness!
    It's all Here. Now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast