Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 115
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVA_JB View Post
    I do because I have kids and I try to set a good example for them.
    I second that.

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    436
    Yes, normally.
    Two weekends ago went out with my wife. About 5 minutes into the ride I noticed a lot more sweat dripping down my face than usual. Then it hit me; no helmet! Left it back in the truck. I pulled over and looked at my wife and asked "what's wrong with this picture?". She says "oooooooohhhhh, you forgot your helmet! Doh!

  3. #53
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,724

    Do you always wear a helmet no matter where you go on your bike?

    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I know a guy with great bike handling skills who was screwing around right outside his house and banged his head. Ended up in the ER and permanently lost his sense of taste and smell.
    This is why although I'll do long hot climbs or roll to the brewery without my helmet, if I'm just screwing around in the driveway practicing manuals, etc., I put it on.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  4. #54
    check your six
    Reputation: sodak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,181
    When common sense tells me to, I wear one.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

  5. #55
    derp
    Reputation: danielsilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    948
    I'll be honest, if i know ill only be cruising around the neighborhood i won't wear one and depending on traffic conditions sometimes i don't wear one when going to work ( < 1km ride ).
    If i'm trail riding, yeah i will always use one and if i know there will be significant traffic i'll wear one even if the ride is short.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    319
    Yes. For awhile I didn't ride it pedaling around with my kids but I realized I was being an awful example. Now I wear it all the time.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,308
    So... I was climbing Canyon trail in Annadel this afternoon and came upon a downed rider. He had a bloody bump on his noggin and a few other scrapes and abrasions. I asked him his name, if he knew what day it was and where he was. He was VERY slow answering. I asked where his helmet was, so I could see what damage it had sustained. He said he wasn't wearing one and that he had forgotten it in the car. Fortunately he was with others (one with a helmet and one without) and they had all the needed info for the emergency responders when they arrived. The injured rider is 17 and invincible (as we all were at that age), so he didn't need a helmet, until he did.
    Last edited by chuckha62; 07-02-2014 at 07:37 AM.

  8. #58
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,133
    In 35 years of riding bikes I've only ever hit my head once. And I wasn't wearing a helmet. Knocked myself out pretty good and couldn't remember the last six months of my life. It came back to me after a day or so, but it was a real mind F&*K.

    On the trail I always wear a helmet, but if I'm just messing around I don't.

    Now-a-days I mostly ride my KTM, with $2500 worth of armor and braces strapped to my body. Even with a helmet, I feel totally naked on my MTB.

    Honestly, sh!t can happen anytime on or off the bike.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flamingtaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,056
    Only time you'll catch me without a helmet is when I am tuning the bike. I'm not riding faster than I can run, and I never wore a helment when I ran.

  10. #60
    EMBA Member
    Reputation: Ladmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Several people have mentioned that they aren't going very fast so they don't need a helmet.
    I don't think anyone said this? What they said is the risk of a crash when riding very slowly on a non-technical surface is so small, they are willing to take the chance. Saying you decide to take a chance is a totally different thing than saying there is no risk.

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    703
    I always wear one on the trails, but not under certain circumstances otherwise...like on the beach cruiser at the beach...not happening. When cruising around on bike paths or the park with my kids at their 4 and 2 year old pace. Of course there is risk in avoiding wearing a helmet then...just like their is risk in running without a helmet, or driving a car without a helmet, and risk of getting hit by lightning....but the risk is low.

  12. #62
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,731
    Always.

    I've broken 5.
    I don't rattle.

  13. #63
    Trail Noob
    Reputation: NC_Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin View Post
    Whether it's just a quick spin in the neighborhood or some other place, so you always wear a helmet?
    Yes.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    596

    Do you always wear a helmet no matter where you go on your bike?

    I do commuting and trail riding. When im pulling the trailer neighbourhood cruising with my wife nope, the kid does in the trailer. My wife bikes painfully slow....
    2015 Trek Farley 6

    2016 Specialized Diverge Sport

    2017 Trek Top Fuel 9

  15. #65
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post

    Seriously though, my PERSONAL opinion, well-founded from my own experience, and backed up by much statistical evidence (!), tells me that wearing a helmet when I do is a good way for me to continue.

    I still don't need holier-than-thou types trying to force their agenda upon me. I have sometimes been admonished by complete strangers on easy trails for not wearing a helmet, I have been turned down when I offered to ride with someone who didn't look too chipper out in the heat because I wasn't wearing a helmet, and I even had someone who came out on one of the rides I was leading decide to not join in because I did not wear a helmet from the parking lot up to the TH! His loss. It was a great ride, and, surprise surprise! No one died from head injury...
    Well that is pretty surprising....
    I've heard of and expect some motorcyclists to have strong opinions about helmet-less riders and even skip riding with those less like-minded about 'acceptable risks' but bicyclist's (some) must feel it carries the same weight.

    Although I don't agree when someone unsolicited pushes their agenda about wearing helmets, I respect the fact that believers (some of the helmet crowd) feel strongly enough to choose who they'll ride with and who they won't.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    34
    Always!

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pharmaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Always.

    I've broken 5.
    Dude, take up ping pong! FIVE helmets?

    I've broken one - and I was inebriated at the time - the innebriation risk is the easiest one to modify, let me tell you!

  18. #68
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Well that is pretty surprising....
    I've heard of and expect some motorcyclists to have strong opinions about helmet-less riders and even skip riding with those less like-minded about 'acceptable risks' but bicyclist's (some) must feel it carries the same weight.

    Although I don't agree when someone unsolicited pushes their agenda about wearing helmets, I respect the fact that believers (some of the helmet crowd) feel strongly enough to choose who they'll ride with and who they won't.
    What is surprising? Which part? I too can 'respect' the fact that some people might not want to ride with people who do not always wear a helmet, altho I would not say that the term is used there in its true meaning! My personal feeling is more akin to how I feel about religious evangelists, or people who do not associate with others who smoke cigarettes... It takes all sorts, but despite their beliefs, I would welcome them all on a ride with me.
    It's all Here. Now.

  19. #69
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    Dude, take up ping pong! FIVE helmets?

    I've broken one - and I was inebriated at the time - the innebriation risk is the easiest one to modify, let me tell you!
    Ping-Pong can be extremely dangerous. Just think about it, you might be throwing your body at full stretch one way or the other, and the floor is only a few feet away at any time, and usually hard. Not to mention hard wooden table corners, net posts, referees, and those little balls can pack a punch...
    It's all Here. Now.

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,124
    Always unless it's a fatbike ride on the beach.

    I won't ride with somebody not wearing a helmet either. A few years back this guy showed up for a group ride without a helmet and I explained that I won't even help him if he goes down with a head injury I will just keep riding and leave him there to sort it out for himself. He insisted on going out with the group anyway so I left because everybody told me how inconsiderate I was. I don't talk to most of those guys anymore...

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigkat273's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    860
    I wear a helmet every ride on my bike or skis. I have too much to live for to not take every precaution. I've had kids in class at the school where I teach who had traumatic brain injuries from stupid stunts (atv's etc.) and its both scary and sad to see what it does to you. No way do I ever want to be a burden on my family because I didn't put on a lid. But having said that, to each his own, I'm not going to force anyone to wear a helmet and rob them of their Darwin award.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    88
    I'm a helmet wearing rider and will be for the rest of my days... but I'm not some smug Dbag who tries to control other peoples decisions. I believe it's a personal choice and it's not up to me or anyone to force it upon others. I am certainly not about to go off crying my separate way because another rider doesn't have one on. It won't be my head that gets scrambled like an egg if a fall should occur. But I live my life by the 'live and let live' code, I understand there are those who are pretentious and think otherwise though.

  23. #73
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,621
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAK View Post
    I am certainly not about to go off crying my separate way because another rider doesn't have one on. It won't be my head that gets scrambled like an egg if a fall should occur.
    Nope, but you'll get to pay for it, in the form of insurance premiums, local taxes, and increased prices for services to pay off lawsuits...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    905
    I take mine off when riding on the beach. It's nice to feel the cool air on your head.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

  25. #75
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Always unless it's a fatbike ride on the beach.

    I won't ride with somebody not wearing a helmet either. A few years back this guy showed up for a group ride without a helmet and I explained that I won't even help him if he goes down with a head injury I will just keep riding and leave him there to sort it out for himself. He insisted on going out with the group anyway so I left because everybody told me how inconsiderate I was. I don't talk to most of those guys anymore...
    Live by double standards much? This is possibly the most hypocritical post in this thread. You refuse to ride with people not wearing helmets, but will ride without one yourself in certain instances? Am I missing something here? You would seriously leave someone on the side of the trail if you came across them injured and without a helmet?!? Perhaps try suckling a little more at the teat of the milk of human kindness!
    It's all Here. Now.

  26. #76
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    What is surprising? Which part?
    The part where some bicycle riders refuse to ride with those that don't wear helmets.


    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I have been turned down when I offered to ride with someone who didn't look too chipper out in the heat because I wasn't wearing a helmet, and I even had someone who came out on one of the rides I was leading decide to not join in because I did not wear a helmet from the parking lot up to the TH!
    I haven't been tested yet but I'm not sure about the motorcycle rides; Ie would I go out with helmet-less riders?
    I've always thought I'd skip those opportunities though.
    So far, the only one's I have done are rides with are small groups - 3 total and helmets.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 07-03-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    89
    I always wear a helmet even just for "riding to the store." It isn't about my ability or skills when I am on the road...it is about the person looking at their cell phone.

  28. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Nope, but you'll get to pay for it, in the form of insurance premiums, local taxes, and increased prices for services to pay off lawsuits...
    Maybe, maybe not. Life is too short for me too worry about things I ultimately have no control over. Much like somebody wearing or not wearing a helmet.

  29. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,308
    Years ago, I was new to riding and forgot my helmet but decided to ride anyway. I was called an Organ Donor at least three times on that ride.

    I can't help thinking of that every time I see a helmet-less rider. While it's not up to me to police anybody, I'm tempted to use the term.
    Last edited by chuckha62; 07-03-2014 at 07:30 PM.

  30. #80
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Years ago, I was new to riding and forgot my helmet but decided to ride anyway. I was called an Organ Donor at least three times on that ride.

    I can't help thinking of that every time I see a helmet-less rider. While it's not up to me top police anybody, I'm tempted to use the term.
    I've got one word for those people: 'Twats'...
    It's all Here. Now.

  31. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    596

    Do you always wear a helmet no matter where you go on your bike?

    I dont know why anyone cares what others do unless it effects you.

    For instance snowmobiling in the mountains... If an other rider does not have the proper safety equipment how can they save me if im buried under an avalanche? Or vice versa.

    If they dont wear a helmet and get hurt cause of it, it doesn't really effect me.
    2015 Trek Farley 6

    2016 Specialized Diverge Sport

    2017 Trek Top Fuel 9

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,930
    Always unless I forget???

    I have been called bear bait or organ donar with a helmet on.

  33. #83
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    All these helmet threads consistently amaze me. The depth of feeling from both sides of this debate seems overblown to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Years ago, I was new to riding and forgot my helmet but decided to ride anyway. I was called an Organ Donor at least three times on that ride.


    I can't help thinking of that every time I see a helmet-less rider. While it's not up to me top police anybody, I'm tempted to use the term.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I've got one word for those people: 'Twats'...
    Yay Depth of Feeling !
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

  34. #84
    Trail Noob
    Reputation: NC_Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    32
    I feel like this is similar to seatbelt laws. I don't think they should be required by law and neither should helmets. Maybe if you're under 18. personal freedom is the underlying premise of our (the U.S.) countries beliefs.

    I don't want to get into a whole debate over when the government has the right to tell us what we can and can't do, especially when it only concerns our personal well-being. On the other hand, riding on private property, like trails that are owned and maintained by a shop or bicycle club, if the rules are to wear a helmet or don't ride, the choice is pretty clear.

    In sum, it's all up to the rider to make an educated decision, but to chastise and criticize someone for not wearing one is just immature.

  35. #85
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Yay Depth of Feeling !
    haha! You're right! I do feel pretty strongly when people are calling me out to my face as being stupid. I guess true 'depth of feeling' would be if I expressed myself in any other way than to ignore them when they do that!
    You know, I was just thinking, all those people who feel it necessary to challenge other people verbally for being 'organ donors' or in other words 'uncaring and stupid', I ask them if they have ever driven knowingly above the posted speed limits? Hmm? Anyone? I don't know anyone who never drives above the speed limit. My view is that this behavior is much more anti-social, and merits the phrase 'organ donor' much more than a cyclist on a trail in the backwoods, going about his or her business, hardly affecting anyone else.

    And yes, I too drive above the speed limit when I feel it is safe to do so. My choice, and I take the consequences when necessary.
    It's all Here. Now.

  36. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,762
    In the spring and fall I usually do. But in the summer, I only use the helmet when I'm going riding at the more technical places because of the discomfort. When I hit the easy trails with my gf, I'm not going to wear it cause I'm rarely breaking 5mph. But me and my friends racing through techy loops yeah I'm wearing one no matter the heat. Some people agree, some don't... Whatever.

    Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

  37. #87
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    haha! You're right! I do feel pretty strongly when people are calling me out to my face as being stupid. I guess true 'depth of feeling' would be if I expressed myself in any other way than to ignore them when they do that!
    I don't blame anyone for being offended on either side of the table when the discussion takes a turn toward anything other than spirited debate and facts or stats.
    The subject shouldn't really come up unless it's welcomed or I suppose one party is begging for an argument. Here on forums, it's a good place to discuss and hopefully the reason it comes up is to reveal ideas and points of view that add to the topic more than someone starting it up just to stir emotions and dislike.
    For me, the helmet thing is live and let live but I'll eagerly participate in discussion when it's welcomed, I see flagrant misrepresentation or feel that I can cite sources to correct something. Especially so if it has any bearing of safety.

    To me, it's not about winning a point, it's helping ensure others are not getting bad info.

    I don't think I'd challenge anyone about why they don't wear a helmet (I wouldn't even ask) unless there was a claim of harm or danger in wearing one. I'm certain I'd either challenge that of need to hear more.

    The preference to not wear one is not likely going to reveal a wrong answer. It might muss up their hair, it might make them hot and sweat more or.... ?
    Seat belts can wrinkle a nice suit jacket... it's all purely an matter of choice, one's perspective, values or comfort.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

  38. #88
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,664
    I didn't wear a bike helmet as a kid and although I rode often I don't recall having any falls or injuries. Bike helmets weren't compulsory until the 1990's. By then, as an adult I began riding road regularly and got use to wearing a helmet. When I started learning to ride off road I wore a helmet on all rides. As new rider, learning to ride technical, I fell frequently mostly at low speed but enough to get scrapes and bruises. I crash/fall less frequently now but the difference is I'm riding at greater speed, doing more challenging trails (ie dh, dj, jumps, drops, steeps, off camber etc ) on wood and rock features so the consequence for more serious injury is greater.
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  39. #89
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I didn't wear a bike helmet as a kid and although I rode often I don't recall having any falls or injuries. Bike helmets weren't compulsory until the 1990's. By then, as an adult I began riding road regularly and got use to wearing a helmet. When I started learning to ride off road I wore a helmet on all rides. As new rider, learning to ride technical, I fell frequently mostly at low speed but enough to get scrapes and bruises. I crash/fall less frequently now but the difference is I'm riding at greater speed, doing more challenging trails (ie dh, dj, jumps, drops, steeps, off camber etc ) on wood and rock features so the consequence for more serious injury is greater.
    Good points.
    Often it is said that we never used to do this or that or whatever for safety sake. The game has changed a lot over the years. All the edgy sports have been and still are pushing the limits, jumping higher and moving faster etc... look at the recent changes in baseball and football with regard to injury.

    I see no shortage of body armor for DH and enduro bicycling. I guess it's not a fashion thing ?
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

  40. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,364
    absolutely, positively always

  41. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,608
    I don't wear a helmet when I forget to throw it in the car, which happens occasionally. I really don't like not having it, but normally I'm not going to cancel the ride because of that.

    Considering I have been mountain biking since the 80's and have never had a brain threatening crash, I don't see at as much different than choosing to accept the risk of driving a car. Life is full of risks.

  42. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,364
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I don't wear a helmet when I forget to throw it in the car, which happens occasionally. I really don't like not having it, but normally I'm not going to cancel the ride because of that.

    Considering I have been mountain biking since the 80's and have never had a brain threatening crash, I don't see at as much different than choosing to accept the risk of driving a car. Life is full of risks.
    So you're saying that you don't wear a helmet when you're driving, either?

    Other places/moments to wear a helmet:
    *sports events
    *black friday shopping
    *crosswalks
    *at the beach
    *in bed with an escort

  43. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,608
    Telling a complete stranger they should be wearing a helmet is rude. It is no different than challenging a complete stranger on any aspect of his life.

    Hey, high heels are bad for your feet! You are destroying the earth by not using a reusable grocery bag! Drinking soda leads to diabetes, which will raise all our insurance rates! Waaaaaa!

    Mind your own business and stfu!

  44. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    So you're saying that you don't wear a helmet when you're driving, either?

    Other places/moments to wear a helmet:
    *sports events
    *black friday shopping
    *crosswalks
    *at the beach
    *in bed with an escort
    I always wear a helmet when I run with the bulls in Pamplona Spain

    But, I'm trying to convince the people there, that they should make the bulls wear the helmets!!

  45. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,240
    It seems reasonable to base your level of protection to the task at hand. No professional driver would get behind the wheel of a formula 1 car without the full kit and no sane person is going to don a fire suit, leathers, ff helmet, etc. before driving their Civic to the store.

    If you get your kicks seeing how fast you can bomb down rutty, off-camber boulder laden trails a helmet is probably a good idea.

  46. #96
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    It seems reasonable to base your level of protection to the task at hand. No professional driver would get behind the wheel of a formula 1 car without the full kit and no sane person is going to don a fire suit, leathers, ff helmet, etc. before driving their Civic to the store.

    If you get your kicks seeing how fast you can bomb down rutty, off-camber boulder laden trails a helmet is probably a good idea.
    Yup...
    It's all Here. Now.

  47. #97
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Telling a complete stranger they should be wearing a helmet is rude. It is no different than challenging a complete stranger on any aspect of his life.

    Hey, high heels are bad for your feet! You are destroying the earth by not using a reusable grocery bag! Drinking soda leads to diabetes, which will raise all our insurance rates! Waaaaaa!

    Mind your own business and stfu!

    Exactly this... all of our taxes and insurance rates, if that is what worries you, are much more affected by those who choose to live their lives in denial of what constitutes a healthy lifestyle. I think on an MTB forum that much at least should be agreed!
    It's all Here. Now.

  48. #98
    Clueless Bastard
    Reputation: WA-CO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    683
    Where the technical barriers are small and my obtainable maximum speed is severely limited, no. AKA, riding the driveway after brake or derailleur adjustments. Everywhere else, without exception.

    Colorado has no helmet law, so that mentality seems to have crept into the mainstream cycling populace. Most of the serious riders wear helmets. Many of the pedestrian riders don't seem to think it's important.

    The way I look at it, I am responsible for only me. Don't give a flying f*ck or say sh*t about what anybody else does. Their decision.

  49. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Live by double standards much? This is possibly the most hypocritical post in this thread. You refuse to ride with people not wearing helmets, but will ride without one yourself in certain instances? Am I missing something here? You would seriously leave someone on the side of the trail if you came across them injured and without a helmet?!? Perhaps try suckling a little more at the teat of the milk of human kindness!
    No. the beaches where I live are entirely sand, not a rock or even pebble to be seen. If I were to go down and hit my head hard enough to have a problem I wouldn't expect anybody to help me. If I take the risk the solution is entirely on me not anyone else.

    I guess what I should have said is I won't ride trails with somebody who refuses to wear a helmet because part of riding with somebody is assuming that you will help them if there is a problem and if they choose to put themselves in a compromised position I don't want to have to pick up the pieces. If an injury is sustained while wearing a helmet at least reasonable precautions were taken.

  50. #100
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    No. the beaches where I live are entirely sand, not a rock or even pebble to be seen. If I were to go down and hit my head hard enough to have a problem I wouldn't expect anybody to help me. If I take the risk the solution is entirely on me not anyone else.

    I guess what I should have said is I won't ride trails with somebody who refuses to wear a helmet because part of riding with somebody is assuming that you will help them if there is a problem and if they choose to put themselves in a compromised position I don't want to have to pick up the pieces. If an injury is sustained while wearing a helmet at least reasonable precautions were taken.
    So, hypothetically speaking of course, if you 'went down' on this pristine beach, that presumably has no blacktop pathways to reach from where you live, no posts, fences or whatever around it, and you landed badly and broke your neck, you would be fine if I rode right on by without a second glance? Silly! You have a slightly different level of risk acceptance to me, but it is a level of risk acceptance nonetheless.

    As for not riding with someone who does not wear a helmet, because you are unwilling to help them out if they have put themselves in a 'compromised position', do you make sure for instance that the helmet they are wearing is fit for purpose before you ride? Perhaps they have had a ding in it before and not changed it, or the straps are about to break... does this mean they have put themselves in a compromised position, and might be duping you into helping them if they go down and hit their heads?!? A bit of a silly argument, granted, but no more silly than the opposite side, to my mind...
    It's all Here. Now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 1-2% Pass Dangerously Close No Matter What You Wear
    By mtbxplorer in forum Commuting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-03-2013, 09:58 PM
  2. always wear your helmet!!!
    By RTM in forum Passion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 01:55 AM
  3. This is why ya wear a helmet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By NEPMTBA in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-26-2012, 08:02 PM
  4. This is why you wear a helmet.
    By Daemon[CRO] in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 02:48 AM
  5. Always wear your helmet...
    By oceanminded in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 05:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •