Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    I personally see a difference between a full tune-up and simple derailleur adjustment.

A full tune-up requires significant shop time plus expense from the bike shop. As part of a full tune-up, I would expect new cables, housing, and caps (that costs money). I would expect the drive train to be removed and de-greased. The chain will be checked for stretching. The cassette and rings would be checked for wear. The wheels might be trued (this might be optional at some shops). The entire bike would get a wipe-down. The welds might be checked for cracks. All the bolts on the bike are re-tightened with a torque wrench. This costs $90 at my bike shop and has to be scheduled in advance.

A derailleur adjustment is as simple as throwing the bike on the stand and tightening/loosing the set screws and barrel adjusters. This requires no new parts and probably takes a seasoned mechanic 3-4 minutes - or less.

I don't think it's fair on a small business to expect free tune-ups. They'll be out of business quickly if that were the case. I don't even think it's fair to expect free derailleur adjustments. However, you might get lucky on a slow day and if you're a good customer to get a free derailleur adjustment.

It helps to have bought the bike from the shop and have their sticker on it somewhere.

Just my $.02.

...and like everyone else said above - learn to do it yourself! It's free and you'll feel good about yourself with a sense of accomplishment.

If I could, you can.

Youtube is your friend.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    Rob, not quite true, I would take care of your bike better then most customers take care of their bike. We only have 2 mechanics (39/42 years old) and I have been in a shop for 18 years. Sorry you have crappy mechanics in your area. The really high end bikes even have their own area so nothing comes in contact with them.
    That fair. I know there are guys like you out there. However, we all accept that there are good and bad mechanics. And even a good, skilled mechanic may do crappy work from time to time when motivated by time or money. I don't see any reason to roll those dice. A lifetime of experience has proven that no one cares about my stuff as much as I do. And doing it myself has a very long list of benefits beyond saving a few bucks.

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I think if you show some loyalty to your lbs, they'll notice that and be more apt to hook you up. My lbs also installed pedals on the bike I bought from them, even though I didn't get the pedals from them. I tend to feel guilty when they tune my bike or give me free service, so I usually wind up buying something so I don't feel as bad.

mtbr member
    The one I went to today did. THANK U LBS

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    About 10 yrs ago I bought a trek Soho ($500?) which is a hybrid bike for commuting as this was before I discovered mtn biking. I recall when I bought the bike they included basic tuneups for quite a while. And if I ever brought the bike in to them in subsequent years, if they weren't too busy they'd tune up the brakes/dereiller etc.

Fast forward to now... I'm into mtn biking and I decided to get my second mtn bike, a carbon bike that meets my requirements for riding, and is considerably more expensive. I called around to the four LBSs that would carry the bike and none of them would include any more "complimentary" service than the 90 day tuneup.

Is the long term free tuneups gone? You'd think if you spent $4k on a bike that they'd include more than just a 90 day tuneup.
    I think the economy has played a huge roll in little shops offering these services compared to days gone by. Get used to it with who we nominated into office it's only going to get worse.

Ski N Bike Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Depends on the shop. Some LBS's offer lifetime tune-ups to compete with others who do the same. I have seen some shop's free tune-ups that beat another's $90 one, and I have seen free tune-ups that were worth exactly what the customer paid- zilch. Realistically a shop should probably do a free break in tune-up and call it square.
    Agree.

I've worked for some LBS' in Big House country, and at every one we did do free lifetime adjustments. Ours were held to high standards. It had to be on par with our mid-level tunes (~$60. It was a lot then.) Then we went and test rode them around the shop to make sure they were working. We showed no difference to the free or paid repairs.

I've also worked for two national chains (one green, and one blue) that did offer the free lifetime adjustments. While at the green one, we did things the way I've done them at the LBS. The way the blue shop likes to do things was sub-par. The only reason that we had happy customers was because we (the mechanics who worked in real shops) did things the proper way.

If a mechanic is willing to put their stamp on shoddy work, then they are not a good mechanic and it will reflect on the shops reputation. People forget how fast word of mouth travels, and with the Internet, it's even faster. It only takes one bad review for others to read or chime in on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My LBS gives you free labor for the lifetime of the bike. It's great because I only have to pay for parts when I get it serviced there. I don't know if they are losing money by offering it (I would assume not since business is still booming) but I know that the next time I'm in the market, I'll be buying my bike from them.

local trails rider
    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch ... er ... Service.

- It is included in a purchase (typically a "first tuneup")
    - It is marketing, in hope youll buy something (some small thing that does not cost them much) OR
    - You pay for what you ask them to do, not more or less

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2