Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do I need a full suspension?

14K views 69 replies 43 participants last post by  scaryfast 
#1 ·
What are the benifits/drawbacks of a full suspension over a hardtail?

#3 ·
I'll make this sweat and simple,
I was a determined to stick with my hardtail and did for 10yrs until i made the mistake of test riding a full-susp bike.Well,i took the bait and now ride more,better,faster,and more comfortable.
Yes you need full suspension,but take your time as there is a ton to chose from.

#5 ·
zipster223 said:
What are the benifits/drawbacks of a full suspension over a hardtail?
I'll break with the flow here and say. NO. You don't NEED a FS bike.

You might prefer a FS bike for the shock absorbing qualites. FS bikes allow you ride over rougher terrain than you can with a hardtail with the same skill level. Sometimes I think that riding an FS bike actually allows your skill level to drop as picking a good line is not as important.

Unless you're racing, an FS bike allows you to be more comfortable over rougher terrain. If you ride smooth trails, an FS bike could be overkill. FS bikes also weigh more than hardtails

FS bike....Fun? yep Necessary....Nope. If you are planning on big time air...or doubles, etc, a FS bike would be called for....otherwise it's just preference.

#6 ·
don't go nuts

$800-$900 will get you a nice bike, and you can then do some upgrades here and there. Remember, the guys on this forum are a little out there and will tell you a $1,000 bike is a piece of sh*t
I just got a full suspension and I love it. You will have more maintenance but what are you going to do. . Check cannondale and Specialized the frames are high quality and good value.

#8 ·
Agreed!

... but depending on what kind of riding you do, be sure you get a bike that is appropriate.

I'll assume you're talking about an XC kinda Trailbike. In a trailbike, it is important to get a bike that pedals well. I have a bud who got a good deal on a 5" single pivot older downhill bike. He was in hog heaven.... that is, until he actually rode it on a trail we all frequent. He had the hardest time pedaling that thing up the hills, and actually ended up walking a lot. These days, they got this ProPedal Stable Platform stuff that would have made his life a lot easier. Anyway, he ended up hating it and went back to a hardtail.

For your budget, check out the Jamis Dakar Sport, Trek Fuel 80, GF Sugar 4+ and others in that class. I would suggest a 3-4" travel bike for general trailriding and XC. Components are going to be decent, but not high zoot. That's okay, you can upgrade them when you wear them out, break them, or get upgrade-itis. The nice thing is that most of these bikes use the same frames as the high dollar versions, but with lower rent components and generally weigh somewhat more because of that.

#9 ·
I say you dont need one. Ive been riding fs bikes for over 2 yrs and I do love them, but you dont need one. I just bought my first real hardtail and I think ill be riding it more than my fsr stumpjumper. I do like hardtails even though they are a bit harsher than fs. They are faster and lighter and to me they feel more responcive. And they are of course cheeper (generally). What you could do is get a hardtail and get a thudbuster or something to take the edge off. Or even get a softail. Or, get a fully. Fullys are great, but you dont need one like you originally asked.

#10 ·
I'll second WarrGuru.

WarrGuru said:

You might prefer a FS bike for the shock absorbing qualites. FS bikes allow you ride over rougher terrain than you can with a hardtail with the same skill level. Sometimes I think that riding an FS bike actually allows your skill level to drop as picking a good line is not as important.

Unless you're racing, an FS bike allows you to be more comfortable over rougher terrain. If you ride smooth trails, an FS bike could be overkill. FS bikes also weigh more than hardtails

FS bike....Fun? yep Necessary....Nope. If you are planning on big time air...or doubles, etc, a FS bike would be called for....otherwise it's just preference.
It is a matter of preference and most likely a trade-off as well. Money and weight were already mentioned but I think fun or "ride quality" as someone put it last week are not sure to improve with FS. The FS has clear advantages on aggressive down hills and technical climbing (rear wheel sticks to ground over bumps and ensure better traction). How much of your ride is like that?. I find handling on many including highest end FS bikes I demoed lately (trail, dirt and parking lots) to be slower than my HT.
Now, good handling is something I am used to and can not give up easily. FS in my understanding may be higher maintenance if this is important to you and it may be my own obsession (probably since I did it in many situations in the past) but I like to be able to carry my bike on my shoulder (if needed) which is nearly impossible with most FS designs.
Now, I ride a HT since 96 and I am 43 so FS is very tempting for me but... . If you have a hardtail that you really like (like I do) and don't suffer any back pains take your time before you give up your ride. I have a Bontrager steel HT that I love and I know that most other owners (even those who went FS) will always remember. I have upgraded my shock to an updated model, replaced the drivetrain completely and added a Thudbuster suspension seat post to smooth rear vibrations out. In the last 4 months I spent over 1200$ on my bike and it rides like new. I have ridden this bike for over 6 years before the upgrade and now feel that the last few months (after the upgrade) I learned much more, enjoyed much more and ride way faster than ever before. I dare to do things both technical and physical that I did not even dream of doing ever before. This is very similar to the effect that many new FS owners have described. A new bike or something that feels new will motivate you to ride more and faster and most likely improve your skills and fun. No body here can tell if you need a FS or not. Look at the trails you ride and think of what you don't have and would like to improve. If decided you need FS, than how much travel you think you'll need for your riding (3x3, 4x4, 5x5….). Are you going to ride your HT or get rid of it?. If you keep your HT, than 3x3 may be to close to what you have (provided you have a good shock). You also must borrow FS from friends and ride your trails to compare, than go to the dealers and try more. It is your decision and it will depend on many things. Good Luck!.
As for myself, I think Titus Racer X or HH are the last for me to try this year. If I am not convinced, I am sure that the selection will be even better next year.

#11 ·
Nobody need suspension, full or front

damion said:
Everyone needs full suspension. Faster over rough sections, with greater control and more comfort. The drawback is the additional $.
Ask anybody who was mountain biking in the '80s, back when men were Men.
So, what's the benefit of going faster? You can get done quicker and get back home and inside where it's nice and safe and wild critters can't eat you?

#12 ·
acquiring skill is cheaper than acquiring f/s

WarrGuru said:

That's the crux of it. F/s is for riders who lack skill. It's a crutch for newbies who never learned to ride right. and never will because that's all they ever rode.

#13 ·
yup

mtbkr678 said:
Full Suspension is marketing BS. FS Bikes are heavier slower and less fun than HTs. If you want to go fast get a HT with tubeless wheels and the best frame you can afford.
The bike industry does this all the time. Everybody's already got a mountain bike so now they have to hype something new to guarantee continued sales. A decade ago, it was hybrid/adventure bikes that was the savior of the industry. And don't forget Formula One (F-1) bikes, that was gonna revitalize the industry circa '89 or so, the fad lasted about a year.
I guess I'm at a disadvantage, as I can still recall when the lack of extraneous weight was a good thing, a selling point. I guess the law of gravity has been repealed since then, now porky 30-something pound bike are acceptable, I can remember when nobody would look twice at a bike that heavy. Kinda explains the current popularity of ski lifts and shuttle rides. Me, I believe in "earning my turns" so the ability to pedal uphill is more important than how freaking fast I can go downhill. Any bike goes downhill. Good ones also go uphill.
If everybody rode rigid, there wouldn't be all the trail closures from freaked out hikers getting blown off the trails by idiot f/s downhillers.
Suspension is a crutch for inferior riding skill. The Best Riders have transcended all that crap.

#15 ·
disagree

I had to give up rigid (total rigid) for FS as the pounding of my older body made riding less fun. A hard ride Saturday meant NO riding Sunday, I was too sore.

FS allowed me to continue to enjoy the sport and grow and learn. In addition, the terrain I ride is perhaps too extreme for most HT riders.

So I define the need by the "fun" factor, and can't agree with your crutch theory in the least, any more than I'd suggest a retro rider has his head stuck in the past. Neither is true.

It also got my wife into riding, which no HT on earth was going to do as we are both middle aged.

Well, IMHO.

Jim

#17 ·
bulC said:
That's the crux of it. F/s is for riders who lack skill. It's a crutch for newbies who never learned to ride right. and never will because that's all they ever rode.
Thats only 1/2 the story. It all depends on the trails you ride....

I ride a hardtail over moderatly technical XC DH terain faster than most people I come accross on the trail becasue speed is 95% rider skill. But when the bumps/rocks get big enough, there's a limit how far your skill will carry you. Not to mention that at 32 years old my back is now ****ed from all the pounding :mad:

If you have the skill's you'll be faster on the Fully, but HT's help you develop the skills.

#19 ·
Let me guess...

bulC said:
Still riding with hiking boots? How are those Powerstraps working out? Your current statement is a generalization, just as my first post was. If that is true, consider me a newbie (13 years riding MTB's now) with no riding skills, (5000 mi per year in the saddle) who has never ridden a hardtail. (8 years on rigid and softnose.) Whatever.

Git to steppin.

#20 ·
Feeling our age, are we?

bulC said:
Ask anybody who was mountain biking in the '80s, back when men were Men.
So, what's the benefit of going faster? You can get done quicker and get back home and inside where it's nice and safe and wild critters can't eat you?
No need to be bitter because you are pushing 100.

As far as going faster, it is fun until the pain. Faster means more distance traveled, not shorter time in the saddle. Not too worried about critters, I am living in Alaska after all.

#21 ·
Generalizations.

bulC said:
The bike industry does this all the time. Everybody's already got a mountain bike so now they have to hype something new to guarantee continued sales. A decade ago, it was hybrid/adventure bikes that was the savior of the industry. And don't forget Formula One (F-1) bikes, that was gonna revitalize the industry circa '89 or so, the fad lasted about a year.
I guess I'm at a disadvantage, as I can still recall when the lack of extraneous weight was a good thing, a selling point. I guess the law of gravity has been repealed since then, now porky 30-something pound bike are acceptable, I can remember when nobody would look twice at a bike that heavy. Kinda explains the current popularity of ski lifts and shuttle rides. Me, I believe in "earning my turns" so the ability to pedal uphill is more important than how freaking fast I can go downhill. Any bike goes downhill. Good ones also go uphill.
If everybody rode rigid, there wouldn't be all the trail closures from freaked out hikers getting blown off the trails by idiot f/s downhillers.
Suspension is a crutch for inferior riding skill. The Best Riders have transcended all that crap.
I have a 24 pound HT, and a 32+ pound fully. The HT has dust all over it, because the fully is was more fun.

Generalizations like that are the crutch of the closed minded.

#24 ·
Nope. But you might want it.

You'll probably be able to go faster, which is nice if you ride in a group and don't want to hold everyone up. And if you're one of us old geezers, you'll probably be less sore after a ride if you go FS.

But you don't need it. I still ride my rigid sometimes. But boy, can I tell the difference after (and during) the ride. I probably wouldn't ride as often or as long if I didn't have FS, so for me it's worth it.

#26 ·
Personally, I have never had a problem with riding hardtails. I do agree that Full-suspensions go faster and are more comfortable but there are definite advantages of the hardtail. Hardtails dominate dirt-jumping (although this IS a relatively small section of mountain biking). Call me crazy, but I also often find that increased comfort is not necessary. Don't you find it more of a thrill going down a challenging trail on a hardtail and being thrown about. I think it definetly adds a new level of excitement...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.