mtbr member

do i need to check my alien tool at the airport?

Anyone know if TSA will confiscate an alien bike tool (includes screw drivers, small knife, Allen wrenches etc ) from my carry on bags while going through secuyrity at the airport for a domestic flight? How bout if the thhe knife was snapped off? Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Anyone know if TSA will confiscate an alien bike tool (includes screw drivers, small knife, Allen wrenches etc ) from my carry on bags while going through secuyrity at the airport for a domestic flight? How bout if the thhe knife was snapped off? Thanks
    By coincidence, I just flew from San Jose to Burbank this weekend with my alien in my carryon. They scanned the bag twice, but let me through.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Dont try it. Taking a knife through security will be a whole lot more than a simple confiscation...
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    Dont try it. Taking a knife through security will be a whole lot more than a simple confiscation...
    I should clarify. I forgot I had something sharp in my bag, but got through anyway. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I flew from Minneapolis to Vegas last year with my CB multitool in my camelback as a carry-on with no problems.
    On the way out of Vegas, my pack was scanned twice and searched because it looks like a Swiss army knife. I had to take it out and prove it did not have a blade.I think as long as it does not have a blade, you good.
    But YMMV depending on the mood of the TSA superagents behind the scanner that day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If there's no blade, or anything that could be misconstrued as a blade, you should be fine even though they may go through your bag to identify the tool. You never know though - not worth it in my opinion.

mtbr member
    I could see TSA denying you the ability to carry on the tool with the idea that the tool could be used to possibly dissemble parts of the plane like the cockpit door...

Personally, id check it to avoid any possibility it could be confiscated.

Retired User
    TSA: Prohibited Items

Probably fine if knife is snapped off, but with this kind of stuff I've found that it seems to come down to the discretion of the particular TSA agents working the gate that day and whether they got laid the night before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    TSA: Prohibited Items

Probably fine if knife is snapped off, but with this kind of stuff I've found that it seems to come down to the discretion of the particular TSA agents working the gate that day and whether they got laid the night before.
    I think there may be n element of truth to this. They actually do try to be unpredictable. I think a good way to go about it is to not take anything as a carry on unless 1) you KNOW they will let it through (like a computer), or 2) you really don't mind parting with it. In other words, I'd just pack the tool in your luggage to be on the safe side. Also, if you give them even the slightest reason to single you out these days you never know what kind of screening hell they may put you though. You could be the next "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I had to surrender a ratchet before boarding because I could use it to take the plane apart. Really I had no sockets or extensions it chapped me it was spendy and did not wanted taken out of my checked. Don't risk it. Now that being said as a family we packed a lunch and accidentally left the 6" kitchen knife in the cooler and it got on. We got on the plane and I pulled it ou and showed it to my wife and laughed.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedfn4u View Post
    I had to surrender a ratchet before boarding because I could use it to take the plane apart. Really I had no sockets or extensions it chapped me it was spendy and did not wanted taken out of my checked. Don't risk it. Now that being said as a family we packed a lunch and accidentally left the 6" kitchen knife in the cooler and it got on. We got on the plane and I pulled it ou and showed it to my wife and laughed.
    It's amazing to me the harassment some people go through for something that makes no sense as a weapon. And yet **** like this slips right by.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Arriving Somewhere
    Mar 2007
    On returning a rental car, I found that all 5 umbrellas belonging to my niece's family had been left in the trunk. 4 of the 5 were the long pointy kind...seems like such could be used to impart some significant damage. I carried them in outside of a bag, put them though the scanner, and no one seemed to think it odd at all that one dude was traveling with 4 long pointy umbrellas.

mtbr member
    Check it. Why risk getting it tossed. Some may fine it and toss it others may not. I hate TSA security and it would get me really pissed off to lose a tool like that. Far better to just check it as chances are you will get the TSAhole on power trip that you can't reason with while the guy in the lane over is a sleep at x-scanner letting something far more dangerious through.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Plays with tools
    My experience with TSA is that they lack standards. I've flown with things that were fine outbound but on my return flight I couldn't carry them on. If your going to check a bag anyway definitely put anything of question in the checked bag.

mtbr member
    On a trip to Florida from NY about a month ago I had 1 in my backpack that I didn't realize was still in there. On the way there I was stopped and the bag was searched. They found it and let me throu anyway. But I suppose that could've went either way depending on the TSA meathead you get.
    On the return trip no stop, no problem.
    Round and round we go