Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do components have an expiration date?

8K views 77 replies 45 participants last post by  dru 
#1 ·
According to my April 2011 issue of MBA "Mountain Bike Action Magazine" they do.

Say you bought a bike in April of 2011 then you would need to replace the......

Seatpost: Al- 2 years
CF- 1 year
Adjustable Height- 90 day rebuild

Derailleur Cables: 6 months

Rear Derailleur Loop: 6 months

Saddle: 4 years

Pivot Bearings- 1 year

Front Derailleur: 2 years

Chain: 4 months

Rear Shock: 1 year

Cranks: 2 years

Pedals: 2 years

Frame: Al- 4 years
Ti- 5 years
Steel- 7 years
CF- 3 years

Stem: 1 year

Brakes: As soon as pads wear past mf's limit (durrr)

Bars: Al- 1.5 years
CF- 1 year

Grips: As needed

Headset: 1 year

Brake Cables: 6 months

Fork: 2 years

Wheels: 2 years

Tires: 6 months

Of course it goes on to say this is an estimate based on you riding 10 hours per week year round and where and how hard you ride but you get the picture. What are your thoughts? What are some of your longest lasting components and how did you maintain them? Since pictures are worth a thousand words can those of you who have exceptionally long lasting components please share them?

See less See more
#27 ·
JmZ said:
They rant about online sites like this - hmm wonder why? Because there is a diversity of opinion where the reader has to think? Because I won't recommended the latest tested bikes or part to solve your dilemma when fixing the old one will do for a lot less $$?

JmZ
Yeah, in the March 2011 issue, in the article about choosing the right bike, there were 10 tips. Two of them were:

"Read our tests" and "Don't read blogs"

In order words:

"Buy from our biggest advertisers" and "Don't listen to objective opinions"

#28 ·
claydough001 said:
According to my April 2011 issue of MBA "Mountain Bike Action Magazine" they do.
It's Mountain Bike Action...

Assuming proper maintenance and discounting crash damage, I expect any component to last at least 5+ years. Consumable parts (bearings, seals, chains, jockey wheels) replaced as and when.

For steel or Ti parts I expect the lifespan to be longer than me, my road bike is steel and from some time in the 1970s. It's ten-ish years older than me and still going strong. Everything but the rims, brake pads and consumable are original and it's probably covered 100'000 miles plus in it's life.

Having said that, in two years of riding a fork would be stripped down 3-4 times and have the wiper seals replaced with the oil changed a bit more often than that.

#30 ·
jmmorath said:
I came from BMX and granted they were bricks and short, but the only part left standing after years of seriously ridiculous bike molesting abuse was your stem. One year?
No kidding. I worked as a bike mechanic for 5 years and I've only seen 2 broken stems in all that time. One was an ancient steel stem on a bike that the owner must've left in a pile of slush & salt and the other was on a roof rack mounted bike where the owner had a brainfart and drove under a low bridge at highway speeds. Actually there was a 3rd guy who used an air ratchet to tighten the bolts on his stem and stripped all the threads in the process.

#31 ·
BS, no doubt.

Let's see, I ride a 2003 Stumpjumper FSR and I have a few original parts on it.

Of course, the frame - it's about 8yrs old now.
Front and rear derailleurs
shifters
fork and rear shock - but both have been serviced to keep them functioning like new

Of the parts I've replaced, the brakes are the oldest. I put Magura Julie disc brakes on it about halfway through 03. The pads aren't worn out, but I think I'll replace the pads and bleed the brakes this year just because.

Everything else has only been replaced either because it was a wear item (chain, cassette, tires, cables, saddle) or because I felt like upgrading it (pedals, cranks, wheels, stem/hbar/grips, seatpost).

I have replaced the pivot bearings a couple times on the frame, and it seems like they're about due for another replacement. however, since I don't trust my lbs with that job, I'll be buying the tools to press bearings myself and while I'm at it, I'll service my bb and hubs.

#32 ·
Open letter to MBA:

Dear MBA,

After careful deliberation of the facts, personal experience, mechanics and physics of bicycle component maintenance and failure, we at mtbr.com have come to the consensus (without getting snarky with one another for a whole day!) that you are full of it (emoticon).

Sincerely,
mtbr.com

#33 ·
jmmorath said:
Open letter to MBA:

Dear MBA,

After careful deliberation of the facts, personal experience, mechanics and physics of bicycle component maintenance and failure, we at mtbr.com have come to the consensus (without getting snarky with one another for a whole day!) that you are full of it (emoticon).

Sincerely,
mtbr.com
Im in. Where do i sign? I wanted to start this thread in hope of everybody joining in to say that that is a crock. If it were true i would have to give up the sport. After all.....that is why i gave up golf. My country club dues were too much!

#37 ·
I haven't read the whole article yet, but a quick glance definitely gave me a chuckle.... they are obviously pandering to their advertisers by trying to convince readers to spend money when they don't have to.

I have a 2006 Specialized HR that came with not-top-shelf components.... while I do suffer from upgraditis at times, the wheelset, headset, and bb/cranks are all stock.... hub bearings (loose ball) were replaced.... otherwise, I just clean and grease once or twice a year.... derailleurs, shifters, and levers last forever as long as you don't smash them... handlebars and seatposts will only need to be replaced if they are severely fatigued.... and that generally doesn't happen from casual trail riding...

The only wear items most riders need to worry about are tires, cables, and chains... and even those do not "expire". Everything else just needs to be maintained properly and inspected. Putting expiration dates is just an idiot-proof way to remind people to spend money when you don't do proper maintenance and inspections. MBA thinks their readers have no common sense.

#39 ·
I bought that issue, thinking that it might actually have some kind of useful, objective information. I must be optimistic.

The last sentence in that "article" says it all: If you are a true mountain biking fanatic, chances are you will have moved on to new and improved equipment before coming close to our expiration dates. Nothing like implying that riders are poseurs if they don't buy new components every year or two.

I also like how MBA tends to gloss over or omit information. In the same issue, the RM Altitude test omits "Descending" as a heading in their testing. I can only assume that the RM therefore is a shitty at going downhill.

I'm giving up on that rag, and like others have mentioned, buying Cosmo. :)

#41 ·
coiler-d said:
So according to this article, I should only need to spend about $2k per year on parts, and a new frame every couple years? Hum, I wonder who thrives on a budget made from advertising? :rolleyes:
Yeah but, this is what you spend anyway, a two biker family and all ;)

Hey, any ride plans this weekend? I'm heading out to the HS team race in Lakewood with the gang.

#47 ·
claydough001 said:

Say you bought a bike in April of 2011 then you would need to replace the......

Seatpost: Al- 2 years
CF- 1 year
Adjustable Height- 90 day rebuild

Derailleur Cables: 6 months

Rear Derailleur Loop: 6 months

Saddle: 4 years

Pivot Bearings- 1 year

Front Derailleur: 2 years

Chain: 4 months

Rear Shock: 1 year

Cranks: 2 years

Pedals: 2 years

Frame: Al- 4 years
Ti- 5 years
Steel- 7 years
CF- 3 years

Stem: 1 year

Brakes: As soon as pads wear past mf's limit (durrr)

Bars: Al- 1.5 years
CF- 1 year

Grips: As needed

Headset: 1 year

Brake Cables: 6 months

Fork: 2 years

Wheels: 2 years

Tires: 6 months

Of course it goes on to say this is an estimate based on you riding 10 hours per week year round and where and how hard you ride but you get the picture. What are your thoughts? What are some of your longest lasting components and how did you maintain them? Since pictures are worth a thousand words can those of you who have exceptionally long lasting components please share them?
Is this for real? Did they really say all that? What do these people do? Dunk their bikes in saltwater after each ride and leave it out in the snow all winter?

Yet another reason why I don't ever read that awful excuse for a mt bike mag, other then for the train-wreck entertainment value. What utter crap. I am not even going to bother answering any of it. Just forget you ever read it, along with anything else those clueless idiots print.

#51 ·
claydough001 said:
you should see this months issue. they are pushing a 10,000 dollar specialized kissing some major Specialized A$$. It is a cool bike tho.
I hope its components have a longer shelf life.

MBA is out of touch with the average mountain biker. Seriously, how many of us here have plunked down 4K + for one bike (let alone 10K :rolleyes: ) ? We may spend that much, but it will be on upgrades, and that'll be over the course of years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.