mtbr member
    May 2007

do bike shorts/tights usually run big or small? Louis Garneau Ergo Air Alveo Short

So i have a gift certificate....all i need are shorts....ideally i want to try them on but...i have a gift cert and all i need are shorts :-)

Do they usually run big or small???

I'm looking at these..

The Ergo Air Alveo short from Louis Garneau is made up of a lightweight soft feeling poly/lycra combined with Alveo side panels that give it a striking look and added compression for any distance. The Ergo G stretch chamois has multiple thicknesses to provide cushion where you need it most without extra bulk. It has been cut with a 9 1/4 inseam for excellent coverage; signature silicone leg grippers and drawstring waist keep it in place.
    Item No. AA-LGVEO

I wear a 36 when i wear jeans....looks like the large is a 36 and the XL are 38s....i was thinking of going with the 38s....they have a draw string...

also maybe these....but they don't have a draw string in case they don't fit right on...

The Surpass short from Cannondale will far exceed any expectations. This ten panel design starts with Cannondale's VaporX fabric that has fantastic compression, stretch and recovery. The plush seamless Surpass chamois has low profile wings on both sides to greatly reduce bunching and chafing between the saddle. Its 4-way anti-bacterial top fabric will offer hours of free movement. A hidden rear stash pocket, silicone leg grippers, reflective accents and a 9 inch inseam finish it off.

both are right at $50...

help!

Ride or die
    I have never tried this brand, but in my experience bike gear tends to run small. I'm a big guy and everytime I try on 'my size' I feel even bigger. Ideally, you should try them on. If you are intending to purchase on-line, try to find a local store with the product or at least the brand so you can get a good idea of their sizing.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

No Experience With Louis G or C-Dale

But in my experience shorts and bibs tend to run big.
    I've got stuff from PI, Performance, ColoradoCyclist, and some euro companies, and I usually fit into Small or Medium when by the size chart I'm in the middle of the Large range.

mtbr member
    I've got a 31" waist and wear medium LGs. Take that as you will.

I play hard to want
    Almost every piece of bike clothing I have runs small, but then again I'm well into Clydesdale territory.
    It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I think the LG stuff runs a little on the big side of sizes.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have Pearl Izumi and Cannondale shorts. They both run a little small, but the Cannondale shorts ride up much higher. Meaning, the P.I. shorts come up over my hips and stop. The Cdale stuff I can pull up to my belly button. Your best bet really is going to be to try on the shorts in a store.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by freezen1979
    Do they usually run big or small???
    Yes, they do usually run big or small - very rarely fit the size specified.

Seriously though, it varies by brand & sometimes even within a brand. I own some that run large & some that run small. I can't help you with LG, though.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You can see by the responses here there is no real good answer to that question...fit is a personal thing. Look at how some people like to wear jeans, skin tight is a good fit to some, but way too small for others. It is all in how you feel in the clothes.

Also, waist size is a VERY bad determinant for bike shorts....my waist size is NOT related to my leg size...my legs are MUCH bigger than someone who has a similar waist to what I do, so you can't judge shorts by what size waist they fit...it can give you a general idea, but that's about it.

My personal views towards Cannondale and LG short fit is that I found them personally small-fitting, one pair I tried on in my size was so tight I couldn't get them up my thighs...and they were supposed to be "my size"....the size I have other bike shorts that DO fit. I went and bought a pair that are actually a size bigger than I normally wear, and the fit seems to be really good, but not necessarily too big.

Another thing to think about is that, with the spandex-stretch nature of bike shorts, a pair that are "too big" will often still fit just fine..you'll have less of a problem with them falling down, etc (in my experience). The same goes for too small as well.

Unfortantly, that means the only real option you have for bike clothes is to actually try the stuff on, or order a size and hope for the best. Not the optimum way to do it, but one good point is most mail order places have a pretty good return policy.

Good luck mate!

Tim

Switchback Prince
    I wear a size 34 normally. When I bought my Fox bike shorts I had to get a 36, the 34's would barely pull up past my thighs.
    "Must silence the discord!"
    -System Shock 2 Zombie

mtbr member
    May 2007
    FYI i got an XL on the canondale surpass shorts....they fit and feel great.

anyone else smell that?
    xxl performance shorts *just* fit me and i have a 38" waist. only ones i've even owned. nothing else seems to fit (that's available at the lbs or rei)

mtbr member
    I just bought a new pair of Louis Garneu shorts and I find their sizing to be on the small size. The Large is a little tight - 33" waist.