Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Do all rodies carry mace?

This is kinda funny. Glad it didn't happen on a MTB trail though, we've got enough access issues.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_16123437

mtbr member
    I carry pepper spray clipped right on the handlebar. Been bitten twice. Once when I was about 5 years old and then once about 20 years ago. I've sprayed at least a half dozen dogs since then.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I don't carry pepper spray, but I have a friend that does. I've seen times when I need it though. One dog about the size of a medium size bear came running after me when I was already extremely tired. It motivated me and I barely outran it. I would've loved to have had some spray then. I should probably buy some.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

banned
    Sep 2010
    No , I can see why some do though .

mtbr member
    I dont. I ride on a busy main street with a bike lane so I dont encounter dogs often. A dog on a leash that the owner was holding on the side walk almost got me though because the leash was a little long but not long enough to actually reach me. Only problem with that was I almost swerved to the car lane. I've been thinking about carrying one since I've seen a couple of foxes and coyotes running around my neighborhood while Im driving.

Mountain Man Dan
    My dad use to use his bicycle pump that he carried on his frame, pull the pump handle out and whack! Said he has bent a few pumps by doing it, and it sure stops them.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Why wasn't he able to outrun the owner? Sounds pretty lame-o.

ronbo613
    I carry Halt sometimes. Depends where I go. I live in the boonies and people let their dogs run free around here, some of them are large and mean and will run right out on the main road to bite you.
    Been bitten twice this year, I mace 'em from here on in.

mtbr member
    I've carried the bear-strength pepper-spray when I ride solo at night. I've never been bitten but coming within 10 yards of surprised coyotes and being chased by 75lb+ dogs is not fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35
    My dad use to use his bicycle pump that he carried on his frame, pull the pump handle out and whack! Said he has bent a few pumps by doing it, and it sure stops them.

good ideal

DynoDon
    I've been attacked three times on Mountain bike trails this year, I held them off with my water bottle, but I'm thinking about something stronger, people can't read the 6 foot leash law, maybe some pepper spray, mace or a air pump in the eyes would help them read, its not the dogs fault, it's the owners, the dogs were just being dogs.

I build my own.
    There are no dogs where I ride. Just bears, so I don't carry pepper spray. It just pisses them off.

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja
    There are no dogs where I ride. Just bears, so I don't carry pepper spray. It just pisses them off.
    Bearspray then. A shot from a pistol will only piss them off also.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    I can not stand people who do not leash their dogs, especially when there is a sign entering the trail I ride that states dogs must be on a leash no longer than 6'. I really dont care if your dog is friendly or not...it is not your land so obey the rules.

Good for the cyclist IMO. Glad the owner got a dose too, all too often it's just the dogs who get sprayed.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Not endorsing the sales site, but it was the only video I could find of Kimber's Pepper Blaster II. I don't have the new one, but I have been carrying the old version for years. Just coming up on expiration date, so I'm going to get one of the new ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqEdrN-zrIc

Double-metric mtb man
    I don't do pepper spray....I'm asthmatic and don't want to put myself in hospital (over and above any bites!) because the wind whips the spray around into my face. Instead, I carry an extendable baton that I've only had to draw once.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

No known cure
    I live in the sticks and just about everyone lets their dogs roam around off leash. On most rides to the trail head, I'll get a dog charging at me. If I can't outrun them, or if I'm pedaling uphill, I'll get off the bike and put it between me and the dog. The dogs all do the same thing and run around either the front or rear wheel, then it's a size 45 cycling shoe right to the chops.

I own three dogs and hate to do this, but when I was a teenager, a dog bit my calf while I tried to outrun it and I received almost 400 stitches inside and out. My neighbor carries a cattle prod when he walks his ankle biters, and says one zap is all it takes.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy1
    This is kinda funny. Glad it didn't happen on a MTB trail though, we've got enough access issues.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_16123437
    That's pretty funny. I'm picturing a guy in full spandex lying on the ground still clipped into his pedals,screaming and flailing around and spraying pepper spray at anything that moves.

I'm not afraid of dogs, so I don't have any problems with them. Sometimes I pet them though
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

scared to post
    i always carry spray, bear or human
    i'm not joking, posting is scary

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek
    Bearspray then. A shot from a pistol will only piss them off also.

Attachment 570425
    Last edited by Trail Ninja; 11-26-2012 at 02:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've never tried pepper spray. I just dip in ranch dressing.

mtbr member
    Toll said he isn't buying it.

"The white one(dog) wants my flesh," he said

.....LMAO
    " The Revolution Will Not Be Motorised "

mtbr member
    Pepper spray? When in bear country I load up with zucchini... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11401167

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    I'm not a roadie. I carry a firearm.

I Have Cookies
    Yep got bit this year for the first time.... I carry Peper spray!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast