Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Do all Crank Bros componets suck?

I like componets made by just about everyone, but damn their stuff has let me down. Used Eggbeaters a bit back to save weight, but the bushing/bearings lasted less than a season and would forcibly eject me on pedal strikes. I recently picked up the 65.00 "Split Lever Seatpost clamp" purely for it's cool asthetics and color combo. Yes.....65.00 for a post clamp. Pure junk. Mine wouldn't clamp a wooden broom handle to a peg board. Super weak, plastic binder nut, just totally crappy.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i am a fan of my eggbeaters....been using for 7 or 8 years now...
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

AZ
    banned
    My Eggbeaters lasted a total of 30 miles, I ride Shimano now. YMMV.

Big Mac
    Yes, they do.

Chamois Dropper
    Brand new 5050 XXs , lasted two rides, started clicking. Thought it was the bottom bracket, changed it out, finally figured out it was the left pedal. Waiting to see if they will warranty them. Bought some Straitlines.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My dropper seat post didn't work right out of the box. So I had to burn a bunch of gas, time and money to ship it back for repair. I couldn't even get my money back so I could change brands.

Afric Pepperbird
    The Candy's that came with my most recent bike were "steaming coils of dog squeeze on a hot summer's pavement" compared to my Time ATAC pedals.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee View Post
    My dropper seat post didn't work right out of the box. So I had to burn a bunch of gas, time and money to ship it back for repair. I couldn't even get my money back so I could change brands.
    And I have been using my Joplin dropper remote for 4 years with no problems. I guess each one is different and it's just the luck of the draw.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

inebriate savant
    I've got multiple pairs of eggbeaters (oldest are 5+ years old), 5050s, and an iodine wheelset. Never had a problem with any of it.

CB stuff is funny...some people seems to have trouble with it, others never have a single thing go wrong. No idea why that is. I like mine.
    "When life gives you lemons...say f@%k it, and bail"

Biker Rider/Beer Drinker
    I just got a mouth full of dirt, ripped/bruised shoulder&arm and a torn finger nail thanks to my joplin4r malfunctioning (again) in the middle of a race. I've already had to send it back once. I want to sell it but feel bad about heaving my **** onto some other unsuspecting buyer. I definitely think that Crank Bros have got it goin' on style wise, but their quality is shite.

Bro Mountainbiker
    **** CBs everything.

Though those Egg 11s look pretty awesome for CX!

But Ill never know.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm starting to become annoyed with Eggbeaters. They are great for CX (4 way clip in), but for mountain biking, I just don't think there's enough platform there. They kinda make my feet hurt, and the springs become unreliable to the point my foot just unclips.

I like the Candy's for MTB, which gives a little more platform - but I'm thinking about switching over the ATAC's. Will my CB cleats clips in to them?

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I like the Candy's for MTB, which gives a little more platform - but I'm thinking about switching over the ATAC's. Will my CB cleats clips in to them?
    No, you'll need the Time cleats

PRETENDURO
    I’ve got just under 8,000 miles on a set of Crank Brother Candy “C” pedals. Sure, I had to re-pack the spindles with Phil Wood Hub Grease three times, but otherwise no complaints. I should mention that I regularly ride on some rocky-ass technical stuff on a fully-rigid bike (2009 11th Anniversary Edition Surly 1x1 “Rat Ride”) with this particular set of pedals too.

The only complaint I have about any Crank Brothers products are the Candy 2 pedals, which unfortunately have a different bearing/spindle/bushing/o-ring design which is problematic for user servicing unless you have the same tools the Crank Brothers service people use. I abandoned my Candy 2 (the orange anodised ones) pedals after roughly 400 miles of riding, and this unfortunately included a free full-service “overhaul” (new springs and internals) by the Crank Brothers people themselves (at Sea Otter Classic 2012) since one of the springs (cannot remember if it’s the right or left pedal) lacks proper tension and now ejects my cleat upon a very light amount of upward pedal motion.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Okay guys go easy on me, but my Crank Brothers
    Cobalt wheels that I have on one of my bikes have
    been trouble free.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    They're more fashion than function from what I've experienced...

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    The boxes the products come in are nice and have good padding so when you have to ship them back for warranty all the broken parts shouldn't get scuffed
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I have that split collar post clamp. I definately bought it for aestetics, works OK.

The saddles they sell are pretty good. They're made by Fizik and are 'Tinker' Juarez approved.

If they invested as much in engineering as their art department this would be a really great company, thats no disrespect to CB, I'm just saying the potential for something special is there.

No Stranger to danger....
    My 50/50s lasted 1 year before the bearings wore out, suppose they could have lasted a bit longer before i had to change the bearings, but went to straitlines n never would go back
    IMO they do make a good multi tool, my crank bros multi 17 is the best ive used n is like the day i bought it, but yes ive heard many times that people have have had problems with their stuff so where theres smoke theres fire..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I rode Eggbeaters for about three rides, then ditched them because of the rock-strike-eject problem and the mushy feel they had when clipped in.

A friend had his Eggbeaters disintegrate on another ride.

Another friend has had Eggbeaters for years and no problems.

Warrior's Society
    I have been on a set of Iodine 29 for 8 months/1600 miles and trouble free......save for a couple of loose spokes.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The only product of theirs that I have is a Cobalt headset. Other than some issues with initial set up (most likely user induced) it has been trouble free for about a year.

mtbr member
    I'd have to say no, they don't suck. Maybe I've just been lucky IDK, but there must be some truths to so many people not liking their quality.
    For the record, Times, which IMO seem to have the biggest, strongest following, can also unclip you from bottom strikes.
    Round and round we go

undercover brother
    I had a pair candys for 5 days. Then I switched back to SPDs and I've never looked back.

usually cranky
    all my cb products have been great. seems hit or miss for some people though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast