Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I had their mutli-tool and that thing broke trying to fix my chain.

The Kronlog looked cool but I think everyone's has broken.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I got soem new BMX pedals from CrankBros and they are terrible.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Make sure your dental insurance is up to date before you use a CB handlebar.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Much as I detest most of their products, I went against my better judgement and bought one of their multi-tools on discount.

Given my opinion of CB, I was half expecting it to have crap tolerances and strip screw heads, or to simply disintegrate into a pile of rust within half a year.

Surprisingly, it's been one of the best tools I've owned- it's got all the right bits on it (for me), it's comfortable to use and my sample has tolerances that work. I chose the m10 as anything larger starts including things which I think do not belong on a multi-tool (e.g. a chain tool, which should be a separate piece).

Would I buy CB for anything else? Maybe for some non-critical accessory that looked pretty, but not for anything that I could result in injury if it broke. I'm still waiting for reports of the first generation of stems and handlebars to start self destructing.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I did the same and bought a CB17. It had the features I needed in a tool for the right price.

It works as intended with no major issues. It is very cheap stainless though and is developing a lot of rust. But most other multi-tools develop rust over time too...
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    I did the same and bought a CB17. It had the features I needed in a tool for the right price.

It works as intended with no major issues. It is very cheap stainless though and is developing a lot of rust. But most other multi-tools develop rust over time too...

The park ones don't.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    The park ones don't.
    And thats why I bought a park multi tool.

So far, I've never used any thing park that isnt amazing
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    WAG-5 dishing tool isn't too hot... but I digress.

Just bought some Candy 2s as my first foray into the world of SPD/Clipless. I was told they are easy to get into and out of. I don't want to eat asphalt on my first spin round the block.

Did I do bad?

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Goldenberg View Post

Just bought some Candy 2s as my first foray into the world of SPD/Clipless. I was told they are easy to get into and out of. I don't want to eat asphalt on my first spin round the block.

Did I do bad?
    you did well... just go out and have fun...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Did I do bad?
    FYI - You will eat asphalt, but that would happen regardless of the clipless pedal you choose.

I love the action on CB pedals. I particularly need the float they offer for my knees. I switched to SPD for a brief period and my knees were not happy. I would try Times, but have not felt like making the investment yet. I moved closer to the switch when I broke my second pedal spindle in September.

My Joplin 4 is still working great, though. As are the ones on two of my buddies' bikes.

Elitest thrill junkie

Did I do bad?
    Yes and no. They are easy in that they don't require a lot of "force" and that they are "smooth". They require you to twist your heel a certain amount of degrees before they will release. On the other hand, they will absolutely not release until this point, no matter how hard you yank. This has it's good points and bad points. Sometimes they can be a little tricky to get into if the mechanism happens to be at just the right spot, as your foot will kind of "roll" off the pedal, and the crankbrother's cleats are known to wear down fairly fast, which will eventually lead to unplanned and inconsistent releases.

You probably wont "eat asphalt" though, because their mechanism works very similar to the pedal company Time, although time's aren't susceptible to releasing if the bottom of the pedal hits a rock like CBs. The pedals work essentially like the Times and those are very popular. Not everyone has problems with the CBs immediately self destructing, and their customer service usually has been good, it's just that some of us got tired of having to use it. I suggest if you like the mechanism and how it feels and later down the road they break or have to be replaced, then buy Times. Same entry-exit feel and basic operation, far better quality and design.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    I'd have to say no, they don't suck. Maybe I've just been lucky IDK, but there must be some truths to so many people not liking their quality.
    For the record, Times, which IMO seem to have the biggest, strongest following, can also unclip you from bottom strikes.
    Times can't unclip from bottom strikes, the two sides retention bars move independently.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi View Post
    This only applies to the X-Roc pedal line, not the traditional ATACs.
    Not even the X-Rocs will unclip with a bottom strike. I had regular ATACs (yellow plastic plate) for ~10 years, and now have X-Roc S...same exact mechanism.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    The park ones don't.
    You should see how much rust my Park TP dispenser has.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    I like componets made by just about everyone, but damn their stuff has let me down. Used Eggbeaters a bit back to save weight, but the bushing/bearings lasted less than a season and would forcibly eject me on pedal strikes. I recently picked up the 65.00 "Split Lever Seatpost clamp" purely for it's cool asthetics and color combo. Yes.....65.00 for a post clamp. Pure junk. Mine wouldn't clamp a wooden broom handle to a peg board. Super weak, plastic binder nut, just totally crappy.

Only if you are over 200# I don't think any of their stuff is made for heavy riders.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    You should see how much rust my Park TP dispenser has.
    Thats splatter

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've bought a bunch of their stuff and have been quite happy.

Iodine rims- I've beaten them to hell and back and they're going strong.
    Cobalt rims- I beat them to hell.. and then bought the Iodines (#220 and lack finesse) But they did good for a long time.
    (3) different multitools. All have been great without any issues at all.
    Joplin seat post- Years old and still going strong. No issues.
    Multiple sets of egg beaters. They've never let me down or broken.

On the note of pedal strikes and pedals releasing. I've only had this happen twice in 4 years. Don't hit rocks with your pedals. You're not supposed to.

I haven't had any issues with bearings, broken springs, anything of the sort.

mtbr member
    Yes Crank Brothers stuff is crap, this is a fact.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just broke my third CB pedal axle last week. I think it's time to try some Times. I'm hoping the float will be similar to CB because my knees hate SPD.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How are you breaking so many pedals? I've been riding them for 6yrs, weigh over **cough** 215lbs and have never broken a single pedal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't know, I have Eggbeater 3 pedals with 2200 miles on them, and they work and look like new. I just keep them clean and greased them once as recommended. And I see a lot of other guys with eggbeaters especially here lately.

I'm thinking that maybe the cheaper ones that don't hold up. Anyway, I love mine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell View Post
    How are you breaking so many pedals? I've been riding them for 6yrs, weigh over **cough** 215lbs and have never broken a single pedal.
    I have no idea. I weigh 185 and I don't consider myself a hard rider. I don't jump any big stuff. But the facts remain. I keep breaking these pedals. This last one did strike a log (not a rock) as I rolled over, but the other two broke without impact.

mtbr member
    I'm using one of their handle bars. Seems ok to me. I've not had any issues. It's aluminum and it does what it's supposed to do. Maybe if it was carbon it would be a different story.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4