Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I don't use CB stuff myself. Too many issues from other riders.
    A friend of mine used the Acids on his SS. He actually broke a spindle off. Uhm, ya, no thanks. I don't need that top tube cup check while hammering a climb.
    I have used SPDs since the early 90s. I have never had problems with them. A little fresh grease once a year and they just keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Ordered a set of Acid two pedals and one teh bearings were a bit rough so it did not spin easily, got another set and the other pedal did the same thing, so between two sets I had one solid set of free spinning pedals, that was 600 miles ago, they have been great.
    I have problems with soreness on my feet do to gout and the platform is perfect so this problem is gone.
    My only real complaint was it took way to long for the spring tension to lighten up and ejecting from them was a PIITB.

mtbr member
    I haven't had very good luck with their stuff either.

When they came out with the Cobalt ISIS bottom bracket with the 5 year warranty I bought one. Warrantied that thing 3 times in one summer. What a POS. I sold the last one I got back before installing it. The 50/50 pedals we tried on my wife's bike literally fell apart. I have a few friends that have had similar bad luck. Mostly with pedals and one dropper post that I know of.

I can't say I have been around a lot of their stuff, but what I have tried and seen friends try hasn't worked out very well.

On a bright note, I have one of the first generations of the Multi 19 tool and it has been great. It has been a really good tool and I don't have a bad thing to say about it.

I guess it is like some are saying that it is really luck of the draw what quality you will get when you buy something.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Have close to 1000 mi on my Eggbeater 3s and haven't done anything but ride them. Still as good as new, and no comfort problems with my middle-quality Bonty shoes. If you don't have a shoe with a sole, they make models with a little platform.

Yes, they can unclip if you strike the bottom -- it is going to spread the blades apart. When I do this I generally start to fall over, so being unclipped isn't a bad thing as I see it. However, I usually strike the bottom of the crank arm rather than the pedal.

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    And I have been using my Joplin dropper remote for 4 years with no problems. I guess each one is different and it's just the luck of the draw.
    The virtue of the Joplin post is that it was designed by another company and re-badged by Crank Brothers.

Their products have lovely packaging and novel design/ergonomics. But they are not built to be robust. They have lots of fans who use them gently but take them out of their comfort zone and their products fail catastrophically. I have a separated shoulder to prove it.

Besides their pedals, I have also experienced the split clamp that does the OPPOSITE of what is promised. I've read about multi-tools which are ever so slightly off size. I have received pedal axels that were off size. Freehub bodies on $900 wheelsets spontaneously failing, crank arms shearing off, cleats that only last half a season .... yadda, yadda, yadda.

I wouldn't trust Crank Brothers for anything, not when there are alternative providers with much higher quality offerings.

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I’ve got just under 8,000 miles on a set of Crank Brother Candy “C” pedals. Sure, I had to re-pack the spindles with Phil Wood Hub Grease three times, but otherwise no complaints. I should mention that I regularly ride on some rocky-ass technical stuff on a fully-rigid bike (2009 11th Anniversary Edition Surly 1x1 “Rat Ride”) with this particular set of pedals too.
    I had a conversation with a tech and he warned me about using them in the wet. Like, road riding in the rain. Is that Crank Brothers fault? If they don't put stickers on their fancy boxes warning you not to use the pedals in wet conditions ... yes.

There is a warning on their Mallet Pedals warning you not to use certain types of Loc-Tite on their Mallet Pedals. They must of finally got sued. Of course if they manufactured their product with precise tolerances, users would not have to add more loctite to keep the traction pins in place.

mtbr member
    The only cb product I have is the 19 multi tool...and it drives me absolutely insane that the chain break tool doesn't tighten against the body of the tool. When it is tight, it sticks out at a 35 degree angle, so I wind up leaving it loose and folding one of the other tools over it to hold it in place. That is just bad engineering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    For the record, Times, which IMO seem to have the biggest, strongest following, can also unclip you from bottom strikes.
    This only applies to the X-Roc pedal line, not the traditional ATACs.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of Candy's and a pair of SL's. Both now have play in the bearings from half a season of riding on each. I only use them for commuting now. Don't trust them on the trail. I "almost" bought a CB headset but read too many negative reviews. The only other CB product I have is a pair of Split Lever Skewers and I absolutely hate those things.

sock puppet
    been using eggbeaters for the last 3 seasons on 4 bikes. broke a wing when i hit the pedal against a rock. hard. my fault.

other than that - trouble free...

Chamois Dropper
    I won't be buying anymore CB stuff after my last issue with them. I had bought a set of 5050xx pedals, my old 5050x set lasted a long time, they have bushings. After a two rides on the xx pedals, I had a clicking sound on every revolution. Assuming it was my bottom bracket, not my brand new (and not cheap) pedals, I put in a new BB. Figured out it was the left pedal. Sent them back to CB with a detailed email regarding my concerns about the pedals. They have interchangeable plates and these had to be hammered in and out with a rubber mallet. The slid out easily on my 5050xs. They sent me back the pedals with a card that said they got the "Spa treatment" . They checked off that they had done bearings in the left pedal. They never addressed my other concerns and I sent them a few emails asking about the plates, whether or not they checked the other pedal, etc. I never got a reply, so I gave up. You also need proprietary tools to service the pedals, which sucks IMO. I bought a set of Straitlines and love them.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    been using eggbeaters for the last 3 seasons on 4 bikes. broke a wing when i hit the pedal against a rock. hard. my fault.

other than that - trouble free...
    I remember when you were claiming that certain models of the ellsworth bikes weren't cracking, so users posted up the pics of their bikes, addressed to you. Actually, you are one of the biggest reasons I made that ellsworth-collage of cracked frames. Not that bikes don't crack, but they had some specific issues to be addressed, which you denied up and down. Haha. Good stuff.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well, I guess the only good thing I can say about Crank Bros products is that their regular failures allows a slow out of shape rider like me to stay in touch with the faster guys on group rides when a broken CB part brings them to a stop.

Nice concept & style, the execution on the other hand is pretty half-baked.

mtbr member
    I won't buy anything but CB pedals. I have CB pedals on the 3 road and 4 mtb's in the collection. Two pairs are on at least year 3 with pretty heavy use. Only issue I've ever had was smashing a spindle on a road and bending it a little. Have never serviced any of them either which is the surprising part.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

cash money
    Yes. Same quality as the stuff on super cheap bikes, just cool paint/name and the crankbrothers logo
    I work at a bike shop. Trek, Gt, fuji, DB, etc...

2012 Trek Superfly 100 al pro-sold
    Soon to be 2014 trek slash 8

Wanderer
    I've had 3 pairs of eggbeaters. Total crap compared to the atacs I now use. My second pair of EB literally came apart on my road bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm going to update my reply from August.

I am done with CB pedals. As they start to go out, I'm switching to Time pedals. Done. Over.

I'm tired of breaking them or wearing out prematurely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Seeing all this post regarding (most of them) about the poor QC in their pedals, what about their handlebars?
    Specifically the cobal carbon (11), any user experiences? For agressive XC (no drops) and racing.

Thanks!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    Seeing all this post regarding (most of them) about the poor QC in their pedals, what about their handlebars?
    Specifically the cobal carbon (11), any user experiences? For agressive XC (no drops) and racing.

Thanks!
    It's not QC, it's design. Bushings for pedal bearings, ultra-thin races with the headsets, my multi-tool that is made out of russian submarine steel, so it rusts like crazy, the design of the kronos seatpost was downright comic, etc. This list could go on and on. The CB products usually have a feature to "hook" you, such as pedals lighter than anyone else, but then are severely underdesigned in many other areas.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Warrior's Society

Thanks!

I have had a pair on my singlespeed for the last year....nice bars.....considering how much pulling I have done to them, and I am definately not taking it easy on them...no problems. Actually want to replace the CB Sage bar on the Tallboy with the Cobalt 11.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Specifically the cobal carbon (11), any user experiences? For agressive XC (no drops) and racing.!
    As a general rule, if a Crank Bros. product has more than one part, it's going to have issues. The handlebar is probably fine, I haven't seen or heard of any mass breakages but personally I still wouldn't get one on general principle. I refuse to support a company which makes so many disposable products.

High Desert MTBer

Thanks!
    I run these bars on my Salsa FS, and 2 years of severe AZ abuse have put some gouges in them, but they work fine. I run Candy pedals on one bike, and they are fine, no issues. I also had 2 multi tools, but they both somehow removed themselves from my tailpack within a couple of weeks of each other, so I cannot really comment. We don't have rust here, so I also cannot comment on Russian submarine steel either!
    It's all Here. Now.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I'm one of the few users who have had great success using CB pedals. I started with a set of smarty pedals in 2007 or 2008 and I wore the bearing/bushing out, but I could still ride them today if I wanted. They won't be as smooth, but they work great. Another set lasted five years until I broke a wing. I replaced the wing and the bearings and they are still going strong. I no longer buy a rebuild kit. I just get a new set of candy pedals for 30 bucks and move on when I do wear them out, which seems to take me years.

I've also had friends smash CB pedals on 1 ride by having a very hard rock strike and others will wear out leaving you coming unclipped.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My experiences with Crank Brothers products have been less than desirable. Fortunately, their customer service is good!

mtbr member
    I've a set of the cheapest eggbeaters that I've been riding for two seasons now with no issues. Being in Alaska, I end up in some pretty gnarly mud and muck, snow and ice, and they've held up great.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast