Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've never had any issues with cb stuff. Since the op is complaining about a dropper post, can anyone name a dropper post that has not had issues? I've heard problems associated with every single dropper I can think of.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmason View Post
    I've got multiple pairs of eggbeaters (oldest are 5+ years old), 5050s, and an iodine wheelset. Never had a problem with any of it.

CB stuff is funny...some people seems to have trouble with it, others never have a single thing go wrong. No idea why that is. I like mine.
    Loose manufacturing tolerances. Just like Harbor freight stuff. Some times your lucky enough that all the important dimensions are at the right end of the tolerance. In that case your parts work as intended. But when you've got a bering that's undersized and a bore that's over or vice versa it's going to fail quickly if it works at all.

I've worked in the industry for some time and try to keep an open mind about products. They may not be right for me (dropper seat post) but they might be perfect for others. But I've been burned on crank brothers products too many times to give them the time of day. I just absolutely refuse to sell them. I need my customers healthy so they can keep riding, thus supporting my business. In other ways than warranting pedals.

mtbr member
    My Joplin4 and eggbeaters must have been made on a Wednesday...I have had zero problems and have beat the HELL out of them....because I suck and they get abused...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul.C View Post
    I've never had any issues with cb stuff. Since the op is complaining about a dropper post, can anyone name a dropper post that has not had issues? I've heard problems associated with every single dropper I can think of.
    Please re-read. I'm not complaining about a dropper post. I don't use dropper posts.

see me rollin, they hatin
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Okay guys go easy on me, but my Crank Brothers
    Cobalt wheels that I have on one of my bikes have
    been trouble free.
    mine not so much. Nothing major, they are nice and light and cool lookin, but at least three times now, something within the wheel guts had to be tightened. i kept getting tic noises every 3 months or so.
    fap

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have been riding Mallets for about eight years. The only time I had a problem was when I didn't rebuild them. They do require more maintenance due to the use of bushings instead of bearings on the spindle.

I picked up a Joplin 4 because my riding buddy has had his for two years with zero issues. He does clean it after every ride, as everybody should. Just like wiping down the stanchions on your fork and your shock.

I also have driven VWs forever and know that maintenance is critical. It will make all the difference in the quality of your experience.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    No, you'll need the Time cleats
    And the Time pedals will come with cleats, of course.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Chamois Dropper
    I should add, my 5050Xs (bushings), 8000 miles, no problems whatsoever. 5050XXs (bearings) , 2 rides, started clicking(bearings). The XXs also were manufactured poorly, so you needed a rubber mallet to change the plates, and the still didn't line up right. Seems like their QC is all over the place, IMO.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

El Pollo Diablo
    Only ever run their headsets.
    First one cracked during installation, called up CB about a warranty, their response was "we can sell you the part that broke"
    Was able to warranty it by going through a local dealer.
    Then the replacement cracked after not too terribly much ride time, about the same time the upper bearings seized up.

If it weren't for my unhealthy obsession with proprietary wheels, I'd not dream of buying CB again.
    (and even then, would have to find a screaming deal on said wheels)

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    mine not so much. Nothing major, they are nice and light and cool lookin, but at least three times now, something within the wheel guts had to be tightened. i kept getting tic noises every 3 months or so.
    Yeah Nicole tics are plentiful this year, be sure to check yourself thoroughly after each ride.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    i am a fan of my eggbeaters....been using for 7 or 8 years now...
    Exactly the same for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I love the Mallet pedals. Not the new ones but the older ones from 2008. I have some eggbeaters and candy's that I will trade in a heartbeat for those. Too bad they stopped making those. Easy to refurbish, too.

Sorry but i love the crank brothers stuff

On my Yeti ASR Carbon I have

- Titanium egg baters
    - QR split seat clamp
    - Split Skewers

On my Yeti Big Top

- Colbat 2 Wheels
    - QR split seat clamp
    - Titanium egg baters
    - Split Skewers

And i carry a 19 piece multi tool

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the replies. It's good to hear that some have positive experiences. I like the looks of the stuff. I guess QC is just hit or miss.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul.C View Post
    Is reading comprehension that out of favour now?
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Wait...you paid $65 for a seat clamp? Really?

The couple small things I've had from CB have all ended up sucking. Not a fan, and won't be buying anything of theirs again. Some seemingly great ideas, but poor implementation/engineering, and baaaaaaad QC.

2 supposedly stainless steel multi tools - both turned into rusty junk in short order
    1 headset - ridden for about two months, then the outer cups just started to break apart yes, installed properly
    1 mini pump - constant problems with the thing leaking, bad sealing, o-rings that crapped out.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Their grips are nice. The foam ones anyway. I've never used the rubber ones, but the foam ones last plenty long (if you dont wreck too often)
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    My Eggbeaters lasted a total of 30 miles, I ride Shimano now. YMMV.
    I am still riding a 4 year old set of egg beater 4 ti's and they are as good as new

banned
    Aug 2012
    How do you guys like the multi tools made by crank bros? I am thinking of buying one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    multi tools and grips have never done me wrong, seems to be hit or miss on everything else@

@trailgrinder
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies. It's good to hear that some have positive experiences. I like the looks of the stuff. I guess QC is just hit or miss.
    I have had great luck with eggbeaters, currently I own three pairs and have no problems with them but I do maintain them ad I am supposed too and I also weigh 200 lbs an give them quite a beating. On the other hand my wife hates her candy c's that she rides?

Perpetual Hack
    I have a CB multi-tool. The one that comes in a little aluminum storage container.
    Its OK at best.
    Probably the rustiest "stainless" that I have ever seen (retired machinist)
    Would not replace it with a CB item, but would look elsewhere - Lezyne, Topeak, Blackburn etc

For me no CB products.
    I love the look of some of the items, but from reading reports/reviews for the last few years I would have to agree that the QC is pretty much non-existent.

YMMV like always.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

@trailgrinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycling Cyco View Post
    How do you guys like the multi tools made by crank bros? I am thinking of buying one.
    My brother in law has one of the first generation multi tools and it is still going strong and in regards to tools it has stayed pretty solid and not loosened up over the years. I don't think you can go wrong with any brand of multi tool

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycling Cyco View Post
    My wife bought me the Pica+ for Christmas last year and it's been great, copes well with trail maintenance and has a quality feel about it.

The thing is, all CB products tend to have a quality feel about them until they go wrong, I've had mixed results...

I'll list what I've had:

Foam Lock on Grips - Excellent grips but found them to be too short for my hands and the sharp plastic would cut into them.

Smarty Pedals - Still got them after about 5 years/200 miles, these are the unserviceable (or throw away ones!) but they work when needed.

Egg Beater 1 1st Gen - Still got them again after about 2.5 years/300 miles, they work well and the barings seem good.

5050X - Good pedals, poor grip but no other problems.

Acid 2 - Used these for 26 months or so and covered about 500 miles on them until the axle on one pedal snapped and I was unable to find a replacement and it was out of warranty by then so off to the bin they went. These were up to then the best pedal I've ever ran, they did require stripping and regreasing every month after the first 5 months though!

Candy 3 - I currently use these everyday, however they've just come back from the UK distributor after they completed a full service on them as I've had to strip and regrease them every month since month 5 again! I like the pedals but they do eject my feet on harder rock strikes and as they are now getting well used after covering about 1200 miles they are very sharp as my shins will tell you if you ask them, or look at them!

I love the confidence CB pedals give me, they are easy to clip in, they are comfortable and work very sweetly when they're serviced. However, the service issues are annoying, especially in the rainy conditions of the North York Moors where I'm from.

These issues have led my eyes to wander back over to Shimano SPD's but I've never been a fan of how they work to be honest. The new Time modular pedals that were shown at Eurobike last week are interesting though...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2015 Trek Farley 8

mtbr member

3 sets to nothing....

I had 3 pairs of their pedals and had a warranty issue they would not take care of. It was expensive, but I switched to Shimano XTR's. Best damn decision I ever made. Their cleats are made from steel and not bronze, they have outlasted the CB's. Whenever you have bronze, it will wear out quickly.

CB is more concerned in pretty packaging lots of colors and bling......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast