• 12-14-2012
    shibiwan
    DIY Project - Headtube Modding - Phase 2
    I had some free time today and got started phase 2 of my DIY headtube mod on my bike so I can safely use a tapered steerer fork when it was originally designed for a standard fork.

    If you guys weren't following this was phase 1:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...ct-826903.html

    So....continuing from Phase 1

    Sanded down the gel coat and got down to the carbon fiber matrix of the head tube, & scuffed up the metal of the headset adaptor.
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-T...-39-32_200.jpg

    Cleaned and proceeded with the first layer of e-glass (fiberglass) anti-corrosion layer bonded to the raw aluminum of the headset adaptor. Hands were sticky at this point so gave up on pics. LOL ... Continued to lay up unidirectional 12K carbon fiber tow (from a roll), followed by a 2x2 twill strip, more 12k tow, another strip, and more 12k tow. Finally pulled plastic wrap over it to compact all the layers.

    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L...-42-17_382.jpg

    ...(im)patiently waiting for everything to cure...... looking at project bike #3 in the back considering what to start on next.....
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8...7-02-53_56.jpg

    More updates later :D

    -S
  • 12-14-2012
    b-kul
    crafty man
  • 12-15-2012
    Mr.Magura
    Great job!

    Now that it is 12 hrs. ago, both the epoxy on your hands and the bike, should be hardened enough to shoot a pic of the result?

    Magura :)
  • 12-15-2012
    shibiwan
    ok ok ok ... I had to sleep sometime.

    So removing the wrap
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-A...-12-00_113.jpg

    Sanded down everything, especially at the merge between the frame and the new carbon fiber...
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-A...7-21-29_79.jpg

    Added a top coat of resin
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7...-33-01_682.jpg

    Gotta wait for it to cure again and then finish up the work (more sanding, another coat of resin, then polish) :D

    In the meantime I should go take a shower - I'm itching all over from the CF bits. LOL

    -S
  • 12-15-2012
    Mr.Magura
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    ok ok ok ... I had to sleep sometime.

    So removing the wrap
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-A...-12-00_113.jpg

    But 14 hrs???? ;)

    The end result looks familiar. You should be good to go in another 8 hrs.

    Have you considered post curing? It just might be worth the effort.
    I'd be worried that things goes soft in the sun, if you don't post cure it.


    Magura :)
  • 12-15-2012
    shibiwan
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    But 14 hrs???? ;)

    The end result looks familiar. You should be good to go in another 8 hrs.

    Have you considered post curing? It just might be worth the effort.
    I'd be worried that things goes soft in the sun, if you don't post cure it.


    Magura :)

    No worries - I stole my wife's hair dryer hehe....besides, it's already very firm without the CF reinforcement. If it does go soft it'll go soft when I start riding in summer when hit hits 47-50 deg C and I'll already be dead from heat stroke or something similar. :D

    -S
  • 12-15-2012
    Mr.Magura
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    No worries - I stole my wife's hair dryer hehe....besides, it's already very firm without the CF reinforcement. If it does go soft it'll go soft when I start riding in summer when hit hits 47-50 deg C

    -S

    LOL, better do the post curing, before she figures the hairdryer is gone. :thumbsup:

    Stuff like that is usually not going down well at my place.
    Whenever something like that is missing, the response is never "have you seen my (insert useful female toy)honey ?", but rather "where is the (insert thing she believes belongs to her, that she can't find)? Have you taken it apart?".
    It's not even a remote possibility that I am not guilty :D


    Magura :)
  • 12-15-2012
    shibiwan
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    LOL, better do the post curing, before she figures the hairdryer is gone. :thumbsup:

    Stuff like that is usually not going down well at my place.
    Whenever something like that is missing, the response is never "have you seen my (insert useful female toy)honey ?", but rather "where is the (insert thing she believes belongs to her, that she can't find)? Have you taken it apart?".
    It's not even a remote possibility that I am not guilty :D


    Magura :)

    Over here I'm guilty of not putting things back where they belong... and she goes "No I hid it from you because after you use it I can never find it."

    Here's a better pic
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9...-33-13_386.jpg

    -S
  • 12-15-2012
    Mr.Magura
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Over here I'm guilty of not putting things back where they belong... and she goes "No I hid it from you because after you use it I can never find it."

    -S

    Ok, that beats the logic of Mrs. Magura.

    At least I am mostly guilty, and if not, it will break even with all the cases she never figures I'm guilty of.


    Magura :)
  • 12-15-2012
    HitmenOnlyInc
    Well done! I am always amazed with people with this kind ingenuity!

    OT...I used to live at Alma and Frye...Love Chandler!
  • 12-15-2012
    shibiwan
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Well done! I am always amazed with people with this kind ingenuity!

    OT...I used to live at Alma and Frye...Love Chandler!

    Waaaaaaaaaay back, I was living near Alma and Southern (i.e. crappy Mesa). Come to think of it, that was a scary area....drug dealers on my street etc...

    Cool... where are you at now?
  • 12-15-2012
    HitmenOnlyInc
    I lived in the Valley for over 20 yrs. Mostly Chandler and Scottsdale, but now in Loveland, Colorado.

    Alma and Southern huh? Funny, I used to manage the Wherehouse on Southern and Longmore....Waaaaay Waaaaay back.
  • 12-15-2012
    shibiwan
  • 12-15-2012
    Mr.Magura
    So, it's test time tomorrow?


    Magura :)
  • 12-15-2012
    customfab
    That almost looks factory. Good work.
  • 12-15-2012
    shibiwan
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    So, it's test time tomorrow?


    Magura :)

    Rainy weekend in the desert. I'm staying dry inside. :D

    -S
  • 12-15-2012
    LyNx
    Dude, I've got to hand it to you, you've got some cahones and ingenuity and some cools toys. Think SpecialED will honor the warranty if anything happens? :D
  • 12-15-2012
    shibiwan
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Dude, I've got to hand it to you, you've got some cahones and ingenuity and some cools toys. Think SpecialED will honor the warranty if anything happens? :D

    Naah..... technically there's no more warranty because I bought the frame used (and cheap!!).

    If anything I'm going to be the one to do frame repairs if I ever break it. :D

    -S
  • 12-15-2012
    Mr.Magura
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Dude, I've got to hand it to you, you've got some cahones and ingenuity and some cools toys. Think SpecialED will honor the warranty if anything happens? :D

    Yeah, he is one of the hardcore guys, no doubt about that.

    ....and he has more toys than me :D


    Magura :)
  • 12-15-2012
    Mr.Magura
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Naah..... technically there's no more warranty because I bought it used (and cheap!!).

    If anything I'm going to be the one to do frame repairs if I ever break it. :D

    -S

    And if it breaks, you got a hotline to the clown that made it ;)

    The hotline to the clown that made it, is part of the reason for me to make stuff. At least I know whom to blame.


    Magura :)
  • 12-15-2012
    Deerhill
    1 Attachment(s)
    [QUOTE=shibiwan;9971824]...(im)patiently waiting for everything to cure...... looking at project bike #3 in the back considering what to start on next.....More updates later :D

    -S[QUOTE=shibiwan;9971824]

    ?
  • 12-15-2012
    shibiwan
    Light at the end of the tunnel!
    Final coat & wet sand
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--...-59-34_282.jpg

    Polished with two grades of rubbing compound
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-i...-01-34_358.jpghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-e...-16-23_503.jpg

    UV wax polish....
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-C...-23-58_171.jpg

    Put everything back together! :D :D :D
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-r...-40-15_624.jpghttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-f...-41-09_976.jpg

    Whew... that wet sanding was hard work..... going to do something brainless for a while. LOL

    -S
  • 12-15-2012
    Mr.Magura
    That is one good reason to be proud!


    Magura :)
  • 12-15-2012
    HitmenOnlyInc
    You do outstanding work Man!
  • 12-15-2012
    shibiwan
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    You do outstanding work Man!

    Thanks -- only when I feel like it. :D

    Helps that I own an engineering company that does automotive and aerospace R&D, prototyping, manufacturing, composites, etc

    I oughtta get off my butt and make bike stuff to fund my biking addiction.

    -S