Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The Original Suspect
    Question: By lengthening the head tube, will it have any effect on performance? Or is the only difference a stronger head tube? I know the angle didn't change but did the ride height?

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Question: By lengthening the head tube, will it have any effect on performance? Or is the only difference a stronger head tube? I know the angle didn't change but did the ride height?
    The fork is longer (150mm travel) and the adaptor only increased the effective head tube by 10.5mm, so I expected it to lift the front end up some. I tried really hard when designing the aluminum adaptor to keep the stack height change as little as possible without compromising the strength of the adaptor piece. The old Fox Talas fork was 125mm which was a little shorter than what the frame was designed for (130-140) so it was at the lower limit at that point.

Geometry wise, I'm still within the design specs for the frame. The marginally longer head tube will still stay about the same in strength, but the strength gain will probably be in the fork because it has a tapered carbon steerer and crown. Ride height went up about 8mm and the wheelbase increased (couldn't measure this accurately).

I found the fit and handling improved in the few test rides I took before laying up the carbon reinforcement. Lifting the front end a hair did take some weight off my arms and that helped my CTS symptoms (numbness) in my hands.

-S

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Beautiful job Shibi!!! Inspiring!

Front Range, Colorado
    Very impressive work.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Sup
    nice work on not even hurting the head badge
    well done sir

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

The Original Suspect
    Once again, great job! Enjoy!

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    nice work on not even hurting the head badge
    well done sir

Sj
    Last thing I wanted to do is to repaint anything. Wife would have been pissed off even more.

-S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2