mtbr member

DIY chainstay protector

what are you guys using to protect your chainstay? brands and type of tape used would be appreciated. (search did not work out)
    i have a steel frame with a cheap chainstay protector i bought that i am not happy with.

also, i plan on using Rustoleum protective enamel to patch up the nicks. would you recommend something else?

thanks in advance,
    -z

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Cut an old tube about the width of road bar tape, wrap it like road bar tape, finish with black electrical tape.

booyah.

Dark Horse Racing
    3M 2228 mastic tape @ Home Depot, works and looks great. I use the 1x10" and you can do multiple bikes and its very flexible for tight curves and it wont peel off easily.

mtbr member
    3M Electrical Moisture Sealant Tape from Home Depot.

3M Electrical - Product Catalog - US:*Scotch® Electrical Moisture Sealant Roll

You can make it conform to different tube shapes. And its easy to remove and replace when you need to. I put it on the top and bottom of my my chain stay and on the bottom of the non-drive chain stay to protect it form rock strikes.

duh
    silicone tape. It is easy to apply

mtbr member
    free old inner tube.
    wrapped correctly, you only need to secure the very end of the wrap with tape.
    Time wounds all heels...

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRing View Post
    free old inner tube.
    wrapped correctly, you only need to secure the very end of the wrap with tape.
    This is all you need.

Take the wheel out. Start on the BB end of the chainstay and work your way back only overlapping a little bit each turn and keep it as taught as possible. When you get to the end just wrap it a few times with electrical tape.

Innertubes work really well because they have a natural bend to them, so they curve naturally while you're wrapping them.

Front Range, Colorado
    Definitely some good ideas here. But Bigfruits you of all people should know about the Orange or Grapefruit Peel trick. Just add zipties.
    Trust me it works in a "squeeze".
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-25-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

formerly Giantxc
    Road bar tape works well.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sticky backed velcro.

Plays with tools
    I get scraps of the 3M stuff they use to protect cars. I get scraps of it for cheap at a local retailer/installer. It's the same stuff they package and sell as bike chain stay protectors without all the fluff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Cut an old tube about the width of road bar tape, wrap it like road bar tape, finish with black electrical tape.
    +1
    couldn't be easier...

mtbr member
    1" wide gorilla tape. Still there and holding up well two years later.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    This is all you need.

Take the wheel out. Start on the BB end of the chainstay and work your way back only overlapping a little bit each turn and keep it as taught as possible. When you get to the end just wrap it a few times with electrical tape.

Innertubes work really well because they have a natural bend to them, so they curve naturally while you're wrapping them.
    same here, except substitute 'mr. tuffy' tire liner for the innertube and a ziptie for electrical tape and work from the rear wheel to the bottom bracket. so all in all, not so "same" really...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I used to use old tubes but I never liked the way it looked and wanted something I could clean easier. So I took some thermoplastic, a heat gun, pair of gloves, and a sander and made a removable, cleanable chainstay protecter. Works so well I made them for all my bikes and friends too.