Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ditched the CamelBak

10K views 84 replies 54 participants last post by  Shibby 
#1 ·
So I finally put a bottle cage on my mountain bike and got a pack to hang under my seat. What made me do this was the fact that it got pretty cold and windy on my local trails today and since I sweat like a crackhead, I usually get damp with sweat under my Camelbak. When the cold wind blows...it can make riding that much more uncomfortable..and cold.
Anyway, I noticed I enjoyed the change. Having all that weight on the bike rather than on me, seemed to lower the center of gravity and I felt I could handle noticeably better. Also, I had no weight on my back I felt I could get squirlier as well with my upper body.
I know this a no-brainer for some people who race but for those who have only used the Camelbak, bottles and saddle bags offer a different riding experience.
I will concede,however, that for epic rides, a CamelBak cannot be beat. Just my $0.02.

#36 ·
By ditchng the Camelback for shorter rides you are acutally losing weigh. On average a Camelbak can weigh arounts 6-10 lbs where as a water bottle and seat pack weigh arount 2-3 lbs. On longer rides (time wise) and/or hot days I think carrying a Camelback is essential sometimes with a water bottle as well.

#2 ·
O noticed I'm a lot more comfortable without one on my back. I don't wear one if its only 6 miles or so. When I raced gnccs on dirt bikes I started out with a camelback and noticed it was just a pita. Left it off and was much more comfortable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#5 ·
Congrats.

I only use a Camelback on really long rides where there is not reliable water source and when it is less than 40 degrees out (so that I can pack items to deal with mechanical issues that require more than a few minutes to fix and avoid freezing my arse off).

#10 ·
Yup......ditches the hydration pack about 3 years ago. Water bottles on rides up to 3 hours. 2 cages on the bike......if I feel the need, I may throw a 20 oz bottle in my jersey pocket.

Foun I was carrying a pack with 100 oz of water plus a bunch of crap that I didn't need, even on short rides. Would get done with a 2 hr ride and there would still be 70 oz of water in the bladder. No sense in carrying 8 lbs of water I wasn't going to drink.

Plus I feel way more comfortable standing on the singlespeed without the pack.

Does feel funny now when I do have to wear it.

#14 ·
Interesting. I bought a Camelbak because I would run out of water on long rides. These days my rides rarely break and hour and a half.

I use my Camelbak mostly for tools, spare tube, cameras and a saw for impromptu trail clearing. I could probably reconfigure to fit most stuff in an underseat pack, but I have always hated the rattling of tools in a bike-mounted bag. I'm the guy who carries lots of tools to avoid getting stranded. I also don't mind having extra water in case I were to crash and be incapacitated for a while.

My shoulders could sure use a break though.

#16 ·
I usually end up with both the camelbak and a water bottle. H20 in the pack, and a electrolyte drink in the bottle...I've often ran out of both in the Texas heat. Also carry a tube or 2, my blackburn minipump, and a couple tools in the bag. And basic first aid stuff.

Even with all of that though, it's pretty dang light...Not even enough to hardly notice IMO

#20 ·
I prefer the convenience of the tube to drink from. Having to steer and pedal is a bit much while reaching below me for a drink. Maybe I'm just not coordinated enough for a drink holder. I do have a cage on the road bike however.

#44 ·
Interestingly enough, I'm just the opposite. I ride XC and my breathing rate is always so high that it messes with trying to get enough water out of the tube. It's so much easier for me to gulp down a bunch of water from one big squeeze of the bottle between breaths.

I'm right handed and I can easily steer with my left and grab the bottle with my right. If I try the opposite hands I fumble for the bottle and feel like I'm going to run off the trail.:arf:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.