Ditched the CamelBak

Printable View

• 10-03-2012
    GnarBrahWyo
    Ditched the CamelBak
    So I finally put a bottle cage on my mountain bike and got a pack to hang under my seat. What made me do this was the fact that it got pretty cold and windy on my local trails today and since I sweat like a crackhead, I usually get damp with sweat under my Camelbak. When the cold wind blows...it can make riding that much more uncomfortable..and cold.
    Anyway, I noticed I enjoyed the change. Having all that weight on the bike rather than on me, seemed to lower the center of gravity and I felt I could handle noticeably better. Also, I had no weight on my back I felt I could get squirlier as well with my upper body.
    I know this a no-brainer for some people who race but for those who have only used the Camelbak, bottles and saddle bags offer a different riding experience.
    I will concede,however, that for epic rides, a CamelBak cannot be beat. Just my $0.02.
  • 10-03-2012
    EmbraceTheHate
    O noticed I'm a lot more comfortable without one on my back. I don't wear one if its only 6 miles or so. When I raced gnccs on dirt bikes I started out with a camelback and noticed it was just a pita. Left it off and was much more comfortable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • 10-04-2012
    Ze_Zaskar
    I'm also using less the blader, even if I still carry the backpack. A bottle is so much easy to clean. Bladers are always a PITA to clean and keep them that way. I only use them on serious +40 miles rides
  • 10-04-2012
    Call_me_Tom
    I'll probably never give up my Camelbak. I only put water in it so I don't have cleaning issues & it doubles as a carrier for tools & spare tubes.
  • 10-04-2012
    edubfromktown
    Congrats.

I only use a Camelback on really long rides where there is not reliable water source and when it is less than 40 degrees out (so that I can pack items to deal with mechanical issues that require more than a few minutes to fix and avoid freezing my arse off).
  • 10-04-2012
    marpilli
    I only take my camelback on the longer rides these days. I just put an insulated water bottle in the bottle cage and I have a 'minimalist' seat pack.
  • 10-04-2012
    jearl
    I too just added a cage last month. I still use the camelpak on long rides but for the short lunch rides it saves me the weight and time.
  • 10-04-2012
    AZ
    I only use one on rides over three hours, and then only if there is no readily available water to refill bottles.
  • 10-04-2012
    GnarBrahWyo
    I just think it's liberating to not have that extra 5-10 lbs on your back. Feels like how riding a bike should be. They make extra large bottles that fit into conventional cages. I might look into one of those.
  • 10-04-2012
    mtnbikej
    Yup......ditches the hydration pack about 3 years ago. Water bottles on rides up to 3 hours. 2 cages on the bike......if I feel the need, I may throw a 20 oz bottle in my jersey pocket.

Foun I was carrying a pack with 100 oz of water plus a bunch of crap that I didn't need, even on short rides. Would get done with a 2 hr ride and there would still be 70 oz of water in the bladder. No sense in carrying 8 lbs of water I wasn't going to drink.

Plus I feel way more comfortable standing on the singlespeed without the pack.

Does feel funny now when I do have to wear it.
  • 10-04-2012
    customfab
    I hate hydration packs with a passion, but sometimes they are a necessary evil. I don't cary a saddle bag either. I take all of that crap and place it into a ziploc bag and it goes in my center jersey pocket.
  • 10-04-2012
    ronyc
    I also carry my camelbak on longer rides, on short ones I use this CamelBak Delaney Plus Hydration Lumbar Pack - 153cu in | Backcountry.com
  • 10-04-2012
    applehead110
    I too have ditched the camelback except for rides that are 2+ hours. I use a large water bottle and pack with enough room for a tube and levers on short rides.
  • 10-04-2012
    icantdrive65
    Interesting. I bought a Camelbak because I would run out of water on long rides. These days my rides rarely break and hour and a half.

I use my Camelbak mostly for tools, spare tube, cameras and a saw for impromptu trail clearing. I could probably reconfigure to fit most stuff in an underseat pack, but I have always hated the rattling of tools in a bike-mounted bag. I'm the guy who carries lots of tools to avoid getting stranded. I also don't mind having extra water in case I were to crash and be incapacitated for a while.

My shoulders could sure use a break though.
  • 10-04-2012
    EmbraceTheHate
    I also have first aid in my camelbak.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • 10-04-2012
    Le Pirate
    I usually end up with both the camelbak and a water bottle. H20 in the pack, and a electrolyte drink in the bottle...I've often ran out of both in the Texas heat. Also carry a tube or 2, my blackburn minipump, and a couple tools in the bag. And basic first aid stuff.

Even with all of that though, it's pretty dang light...Not even enough to hardly notice IMO
  • 10-04-2012
    mtbzarg
    I only use my camelbak on longer rides or if the weather is a little warm for my liking. Otherwise I only use a water bottle.
  • 10-04-2012
    Velorangutan
    I ditched the camelback years ago. It's cooler in the summer and not having weight on my back seems to help my achy back. I usually have two waterbottle mounts. If I need more I'll stick a small bottle in my back jersey pocket. Once the first bottle runs out I'll swap that one in my jersey pocket.
  • 10-04-2012
    bclagge
    I feel naked without my Camelbak. Plus the unfortunate times that I've landed flat on my back made me glad to have it. :D
  • 10-04-2012
    Cormac
    I prefer the convenience of the tube to drink from. Having to steer and pedal is a bit much while reaching below me for a drink. Maybe I'm just not coordinated enough for a drink holder. I do have a cage on the road bike however.
  • 10-04-2012
    textatt
    One thing that can mess a ride up is running out of water. The extra weight is well worth the peace of mind knowing that if something does go wrong I still got water.
  • 10-04-2012
    sooshee
    I've ditched mine, too. I hated riding with all that weight on my back. I'm sure I'll use it on super long rides, but for 99% of my rides I do just fine without it. I have a bottle cage. Only thing I sometimes wish is that I had a place to mount a second bottle cage on my bike :(
  • 10-04-2012
    GnarBrahWyo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    I've ditched mine, too. I hated riding with all that weight on my back. I'm sure I'll use it on super long rides, but for 99% of my rides I do just fine without it. I have a bottle cage. Only thing I sometimes wish is that I had a place to mount a second bottle cage on my bike :(

That is my problem too! My full suspension only has enough holes for one cage!
  • 10-04-2012
    sooshee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    That is my problem too! My full suspension only has enough holes for one cage!

I might get some bungee cords and see if I can attach a second bottle to the back of my seat post. Not sure how well it'd work, but it's worth a try.
  • 10-04-2012
    GnarBrahWyo
    I saw one on the tour de wyoming that someone had that wrapped around the outside of the cage itself and held A LOT of water. Tried to find it on the internet but I can't!