Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I use the bottle holder for gatorade,the camelbak for water, pump, clothes, food and most importantly, BEER, and bacon

mtbr member
    i used to wear a camelbak when i was dh'ing at ski mountains... after a while i didn't like the weight and it shifting around. i started leaving 1gal. water jugs at the top and bottom. , XC'ing, if not venturing to far i'll rock the water bottles, if a tire pops or something breaks it's not a long walk back to the car. if going way off the beaten path, camelback, tools, small 1st aid kit, snacks....
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I keep most everything in my saddle bag, have a water bottle and am going to get a Camelbak this Xmas. At the end of the day, I'm riding because I enjoy it and I'm not worried about an extra 8 lbs. If I'm lucky, I'll lose 8 lbs by riding more and it'll be like I'm not wearing a bag!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    i used to wear a camelbak when i was dh'ing at ski mountains... after a while i didn't like the weight and it shifting around. i started leaving 1gal. water jugs at the top and bottom. , XC'ing, if not venturing to far i'll rock the water bottles, if a tire pops or something breaks it's not a long walk back to the car. if going way off the beaten path, camelback, tools, small 1st aid kit, snacks....
    I got a small water bottle I could stick in my snowboarding pants pocket, that works nice for that, and many resorts have water jugs at the lifts, so you can fill it up, if not, then just a quick trip in the lodge for more water. That plus some food in the other pockets works well for me. Due to the nature of that sport, it's not like being away from services all day long, like riding (as long as you're at a resort).

On the other hand, big dumps where you need some safety stuff, then bring a pack.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    With the cooler weather lately, I took a 35oz bottle in the cage and left the camelbak at home. It was a much nicer ride with the back not getting as sweaty and without all the additional weight on my back, it felt like I had more body control on the bike.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    I just 2 rides on my road bike without my camelbak. I am training for sprint tri this weekend and don't want to put it on my back in the transitions. Anyway I practiced with a bottle and will run that at the Tri.

However I don't really like it. Sure it is nice to not have anything on your back. But the water tasted dirty when got a drink. Even on a road bike the road grime on on the bottle.Yuck.. Plus when moving it was harder to drink. My Tri is just a sprint so at 14 miles on the bike water not a must so will just keep a bottle on there. However for real road rides. I just probably will go with a small seat pack for tube, tire lever and pump. Then use my old 1998 vintage camelbak classic which is nothing more that a sleeve for the bladder. Zero storage and 70 oz of water. I can still run 2 bottles on my road bike to have more and just stop and clean them.

For the mtn bike I am sticking with my older smaller mule.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There are bottles with lids to keep out the grime. However, they are a bit of a pain. They are easy to open, but it's just that much more time that you are riding with one hand off the bars.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I just 2 rides on my road bike without my camelbak. I am training for sprint tri this weekend and don't want to put it on my back in the transitions. Anyway I practiced with a bottle and will run that at the Tri.

However I don't really like it. Sure it is nice to not have anything on your back. But the water tasted dirty when got a drink. Even on a road bike the road grime on on the bottle.Yuck.. Plus when moving it was harder to drink. My Tri is just a sprint so at 14 miles on the bike water not a must so will just keep a bottle on there. However for real road rides. I just probably will go with a small seat pack for tube, tire lever and pump. Then use my old 1998 vintage camelbak classic which is nothing more that a sleeve for the bladder. Zero storage and 70 oz of water. I can still run 2 bottles on my road bike to have more and just stop and clean them.

For the mtn bike I am sticking with my older smaller mule.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    There are bottles with lids to keep out the grime. However, they are a bit of a pain. They are easy to open, but it's just that much more time that you are riding with one hand off the bars.

Bottles like this are perfect if you stop. However it makes camelbak system much easier and worth the penalty. IMHO. If you only drink when stopped a bottle is not so bad. Personally I love drinking on the fly.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    100% agree - I love my Camelbak. Just throwing the option out there....

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Bottles like this are perfect if you stop. However it makes camelbak system much easier and worth the penalty. IMHO. If you only drink when stopped a bottle is not so bad. Personally I love drinking on the fly.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4