Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • bike magazine

21 39.62%
  • dirtrag

32 60.38%
    Gringo the magnificent

Dirt rag OR bike magazine

i have to sell magazine subscriptions for school and they have some pretty good prices, but i have to choose between dirtrag and bike
    in the past i have read mostly mountain bike action but that is not a choice.

mtbr member
    I voted for Bike Mag but really was voting for MTBAction over Dirt Rag. I have a real hard time reading Dirt Rag. Their articles can be too lengthy for me. Guess my AD&D relines half way thru. They are definitly a more 'core' rider magazine so props to them, just not for me. I have had a subscription for two years, but I'm letting it dry up now.

I like MTBAction although they are heavily biased to Santa Cruz and Specialized (I do ride an Epic). I just find them a well rounded magazine.

I did buy some magazines from Barnes and Knoble that were great. I think they were UK magazines.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    I like Dirt Rag, but the photos in Bike are more likely to sell subscriptions.

OK, I confess: I read Bike for the articles.

Your bike is incorrigible

Dr

I like their variety. Hey, maybe some people never get tired of seeing the same damned shots of XC and DH racers, but I do. Tall bikes or alley cat racing is a nice diversion.

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by bgmtbiker
    i have to sell magazine subscriptions for school and they have some pretty good prices, but i have to choose between dirtrag and bike
    in the past i have read mostly mountain bike action but that is not a choice.
    I subscribe to both. I like Dirt Rag's articles, and the seem to be very impartial in their reviews. Bike has the worst photos and seem to sugar-coat their product reviews. Yes, I sorta slapped Sterling L. in the face, but I hate all the stuff they do to the photos. I have begun to dislike Bike's articles. By now, I don't know why I even subscribe to Bike. My next issue will be my last...oh well.

But, have you noticed that both have similar issues this month? Both are reviewing Bontrager King Earl wheels, both are doing the road trip stuff, and they had the photo issues at about the same time. WTF?

Yes, I voted DR!
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Dirt Rag is the more enjoyable read for me. It covers the full range of mountain biker interests, and doesn't sugarcoat much. I always think of Dirt Rag like the passion forum.

Plus, Dirt Rag staff answer their email within minutes. What other magazine does that??

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I can tell you what I DON'T like about Bike. Lousy photography. Over-boosted contrast, dark, grainy, smeared and off-color. Not that kind of off-color. For example, this month's issue has pictures from the southwest. They're all dark and orangish brown. Maybe this is cool and I just don't get it. Another thing that's irritating is their page numbering system, or lack of numbers. They start and stop by some strange logic I don't understand. When an article continues on a page further on, good luck finding that page without going one at a time until you find it.

Thanks for the opportunity to rant - I feel better now.

ChuckD