mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Different bikes different carry options?

I have a hard tail with a saddle bag and a full suspension with a saddle bag. I've been trying to build two different carry kits of multi tools, c02 kits, tubes etc

Do you guys carry the same stuff regardless of bike or have different stuff for each ride? And if it's the same stuff what do you carry it in?

Bikesexual
    I have saddle bags on my 3, but depending on the bike, it changes a bit.

Trail bike. Only my multi tool/$5 bill on my saddle bag. All else in my pack.

Road bike. Tube/smaller multi tool/levers/$5 /pump on bike

29er. Tube/multi tool/$5. This one has a top tube bag for fone snacks/levers/pump on bike.

Shorter rides, I've been risking it with minimalistic ways...just water
    just get a bike and ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I was risking occasionally too, but Iíve gotten flats when I didnít have tubes and had my chain break when I didnít have a breaker. Plus one time, i got a flat and had a tube but couldnít pump the tire as firm as I like.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I usually just use a small hydration backpack and keep stuff off the bikes.

There are also those water bottle size tool packs that are super easy to move from bike to bike.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    I have one small saddle bag that I swap between bikes. The only change-up is the extra tube I carry in my jersey.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Each bike has it's seat bag. Camelbak carries the pump.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Only one bike, and I run a frame bag with 1-2 water bottles all the time. I have a saddle bag for longer rides. No camelback. In the frame bag, I have the phone, a tube, tire levers, various tools, couple of rags, duct tape, and stuff to start a fire. When the saddle bag gets added, it's filled with food. Shorter rides, just one water bottle. Mid range rides, two bottles. All day / back country rides the second bottle has a water filter built in so I can filter from streams.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Lots of custom-bag makers can set you up with something like this these days: I had it set up "full bags" for a 100 mile race. I usually just go with the middle frame bag and put stuff in there so I can run a minimalist camelback in the shorter races.

Different bikes different carry options?-20596988_10101225470594298_5454846673084522898_n.jpgDifferent bikes different carry options?-20621135_10101228130698428_4485553586064948077_n.jpgDifferent bikes different carry options?-18951259_10211232302176233_3706281774865916382_n.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

since 4/10/2009
    Depends on the bike.

For mtb rides, my gear stays in my pack. I just have one mtb at this point, so I pretty much carry the same stuff. Though eventually I'll have a 2nd mtb that will have a different wheel size, and I'll probably want to figure something out regarding tubes, 'cause fatbike tubes are bulky and heavy and I won't want to carry one of those when I'm not riding the fatbike. My tool kit otherwise isn't all that bulky/heavy. Pump is the biggest item aside from the tube. I do see the logic of keeping tools on the bike so I can reduce pack weight and leave more room inside that pack for things for me, like food for long rides, a spare jacket, water filter for backcountry rides, and whatnot, without keeping an oversized or overstuffed pack.

My road bike/commuter gets all its necessary stuff in a seat bag. I have a 2nd multitool and set of tire levers for that bike. That bike has a fairly large seat bag that also carries the battery for my front and rear lights. One of these days, I'll get a dynamo hub on the front so I can eliminate that and use a more reasonably-sized seat bag.

mtbr member
    I use a small osprey backpack with the 26 and 27.5+ full suspension bikes. I use an old, patched, wedge bag with the ancient hardtail, the fatbike, and the road bike all of which have racks. I change out the tubes between bikes. I have a small bag with tools and links, patch kit, cleat screw, etc that goes into whichever bag I'm using. The tire pump goes in whichever bag I'm using and the shock pump goes along in the car.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Lots of custom-bag makers can set you up with something like this these days: I had it set up "full bags" for a 100 mile race. I usually just go with the middle frame bag and put stuff in there so I can run a minimalist camelback in the shorter races.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20596988_10101225470594298_5454846673084522898_n.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	1182191Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20621135_10101228130698428_4485553586064948077_n.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	1182192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18951259_10211232302176233_3706281774865916382_n.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	1182193
    1st time seeing a frame bag on a full suss! Pretty rad!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    May copy this!

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    I have a small bag with tools and links, patch kit, cleat screw, etc that goes into whichever bag I'm using.

Sneaker man
    Thought this was going to be about gun carrying haha...
    i have a bunch of saddle bags (and 1 pump per bike)
    -roadie, small bag with 2 tubes, multi tool (with inbuilt tyre levers)
    -26 mtb bag, 2 tubes, muti tool, tyre levers repair kit... this one goes on 2 bikes
    -650b bag #1 bag with 2 tubes, multi tool and tyre levers for rigid post
    #2 small bag with levers, multi tool and patch kit and tube strapped to frame, goes on with dropper post

-long day bag is camleback, 2 tubes, patch kit, mutli tool, levers, food,water, jacket etc etc.--- but all these things are pulled from another bag to fill up.

Might seem excessive, but I've just managed to accrue all this over the last 10-15 years and I'd rather doubles/triples than forget stuff when I need it and I really prefer not to wear a pack, but sometimes it's necessary.
    All the gear and no idea.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Thought this was going to be about gun carrying haha...
    Frame bags work well for that too. and in many states, a concealed permit isn't required, as it's treated the same as your car.

slow
    I don't vary the things I carry between my different types of mountain bike, but I do add some things for longer rides or rides in more remote locations or longer events without aid stations.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsthoughts View Post
    And custom.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I thought for sure this was going to be a gun thread. Kinda disappointed at both the lack of gun discussion and lack of drama discussion from users regarding riding with a gun. OH WELL.

I bought a Cambelback LR series (100oz) pack ... I think two years ago now. It came with a small bundle pack with three mesh zipper pockets. It's rad - it holds all the stuff I need and then folds up in to a fairly tight package that can fit in a jersey pocket. Prior to this I was using an extra large ziploc style bag to hold everything. I'd move it from pack to jersey and back depending on the ride.

In this kit: extra Stan's, chain lube, 29" tube, tire levers, tubeless tire patch kit, Crank Bros. c-something multitool with chain tool.

For shorter/less remote rides I'll just toss this in my jersey. For longer rides it goes in my pack. For even longer rides I'll add an extra tube and usually an extra bottle of water to my pack. Also if I'm riding with a pack I have a pretty robust first aid kit in the pack. If I'm riding a short ride, no first aid kit.
    :wq

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsthoughts View Post
    Lots of people are doing this with lots of variety in application, especially in bigger endurance races, like 100 miles and more, to get as much weight off their back as possible. Gas-tanks, reverse-gas-tanks, seat-bags, handlebar-bags of various kinds, bags that hang BELOW the downtube, and all manor. Frame-bags are the most obvious way, standard triangles work for a few, but for most FS bikes you have to get custom. For me, just a camelback full of water is reasonable, but packing clothes, a lot of food, a lot of repair stuff, and it becomes unreasonable pretty fast for a race.

This niche industry though is really taking off, there are quite a few people making custom bags of all sort.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I put rear racks on both bikes last year but the rack on my main bike officially destroyed itself yesterday. After about one million and one bumps lol. Either the 5-6M screws fall out or the aluminum linkage from the rack to the stabilizer bars simply snaps. Plastic zip ties as a fix eventually break too it seems. I rode all the way back to the car with the rack on my shoulder so as to not litter. I'll keep the rack on the backup bike and just put a small pack as a sling around my shoulder, hope it works out. Backpacks don't work well for me because my back sweats like crazy and leads to contact dermatitis. Some of those pictured bags in this thread look pretty cool but for now I'll try to keep nothing hanging on the bike.

As for guns in bags/backpacks...how are you even going to get it out in time if there is a sudden attack?
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I can't stand having anything hanging off my bikes so it all goes in my hydration pack - tubes, multi tool, pump, der. hangar, chain link, patch kit, zip ties and a folding knife. I always have what I did because I wear my pack on every ride.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Pump on frame and bottle cage canister that has a tube, duct tape, zip ties, tire plugs, multi tool, small lights. Always ride with hydration pack which lugs wallet, phone, glasses.
    Used to ride with separate saddle bags on MTB and road bike, but prefer not having stuff hanging of the seat. Plus if it's just a short commute about town, I just leave the canister at home, minimal fiddling to remove and replace and the canister is waterproof.