mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Difference between Tima Atac Roc Carbon and Time Atac SX

I have destroyed two pairs of CB candy pedals and I would like to try something new. Everyone praises the Time pedals. Can anyone tell me ehat the difference between the Roc Carbon and XS is?

I can see the XS is a bit ligther and there is 1mm difference in float but how noticeable is this?

Which of the two models would you recommend? The price is almost identical with XS being a little bit more expensive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have ridden Time pedals for many years, with all but one pair being the cheapest and heaviest (currently called the Alum model). I once splurged for the carbon ones and it didn't take long for the housing to kick the bucket. I don't know that I have had any of the others die on me. One pair that I had for a few years were stolen with my bike, and the pair that I put on my new bike three years ago are still kicking. The look trashed after all of the rock hits they have sustained, but they work as good as good as new. I just have to add some tri-flow on occasion on the rotate point so they spin well. I have them on all three of my bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Love my Time ATACs. I have the XX version. I cant tell any diff from the XS. The little tension adj thing is nice for when your cleats start to wear. You can bump it up one and get a little more out of them.

For the price/weight/durability difference of the carbon, it's not worth it to me. I have beat mine up for 18 months with 4000 mi on them. I always come out on a crash. I have never slipped out either. I love how easy they go in on tech trail, just mash down, it will go in.

The 1mm float diff???? You won't notice.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm riding an old school pair of Times, in a lovely lime green color. They are maybe ten years old. I've looked a the newer models with an eye towards replacement if the ones I'm riding fail. Unless I'm missing something, the higher end models seem over-priced. I would just stick with the lower end models.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ive got the Aluim. They are heavy but seem rock solid.

local trails rider
    Am I the first one to have ATAC XS and ROC ATAC Carbon?

I prefer the body shape and size of the ROC: it is a little larger and seems to guide my shoe into the mechanism very well, when clipping in. Better than ATAC XS.

The bars on the ROC are steel, like in older Time pedals (Alium and Z). It is likely that they are more durable than the aluminum bars on the ATAC XS and that generation of Times.

Bottom line: get the ROC version, carbon or not.

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    I'm still on my carbon/Stan's ti ATAC pedals from around '99. Spares are some Aliums with ti springs/axles also. Have never wanted to make a change from them.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    all of the older Times and the current Alum. & z control are/ were great
    the newer x series changed the retaining mech. and its now like the crank bros. if you smack the bottom of the pedal it will release your foot ( a huge minus in my opinion)
    this totally sucks and is the reason I went to spd if you look at the pedal the old version and the alum. have seperate rails top & bottom, the newer x version has the top and bottom rails as one piece , so hit one and the other moves.

I have to agree with the person who posted earlier, the cheaper alum. & z control are bomb proof, whereas the new carbon and plastic versions wear very quickly

as far as mud and snow they are the best and Ive yet had them clog during a ride