Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Diamondback V-Link 1.2

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Jayem 
#1 ·
Found a diamondback v link 1.2 on CL today, $180.

Seems to be in pretty decent shape, might email him for more pics/info. Is this a decent frame for the price? I would probably get new forks at least for it.

#2 ·
Probably not given the time and bushing/bearing wear. That's a pretty old aluminum frame and you don't know what kind of stresses it was put through. 5 years of service for most full suspension bikes is pretty good, but going back in time they weren't as good and they really didn't hold up season after season. I had a Vlink 3.0 a long time ago, and it was a good starter bike, but had a non-adjustable rear shock. The 1.0 was a lower model with chromoly (steel) rear end. I'm not sure if they kept the steel rear end on the consecutive years, but the 1.1/3.1/5.1 was the year after mine, then the 1.2/3.2/5.2 the next year. I think the X-link replaced the V-link eventually.

The potential problems are the bushing/bearing interfaces and shock receptacles are ovalized or worn beyond what can be fixed by just finding some new bearings. The rear shock is likely tired and has lost it's nitrogen charge or the oil is broken down and not very effective anymore.

If it were me, I'd spend my money on a decent hardtail bike, even though it may not be as fancy as a FS bike, a newer bike is going to be worth in terms of possible failures, problems, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.