mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Diamondback Full Suspension $700?

What do you guys think of this bike? People are saying its good... I'm not interested, for $700 you could get a better hardtail!

Amazon.com: Diamondback 2013 Recoil 29'er Full Suspension Mountain Bike with 29-Inch Wheels: Sports & Outdoors

Diamondback Full Suspension 0?-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looks like that will be a bouncy ride.

Currently in Exile
    I would avoid full suspension bikes that retail for under $1K.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I would avoid stay away from any Diamondback bike.

mtbr member
    why avoid? have a friend who bought a KHS 501 as a leftover for under 600.00, he loves it, one year thru the rear coil shock blew out, so he replaced it, he gets to ride and play and has a great time, and it allowed him to get away from being beat to death on his old Hard tail, something he would at any other price point not been able to do win win.

Flow like water
    I have not ridden one, so my opinion is not worth much.

Any opinion not based on at least a test ride is worthless.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    why avoid? have a friend who bought a KHS 501 as a leftover for under 600.00, he loves it, one year thru the rear coil shock blew out, so he replaced it, he gets to ride and play and has a great time, and it allowed him to get away from being beat to death on his old Hard tail, something he would at any other price point not been able to do win win.
    i guess i'm just a little prejudice against the diamondback bikes, i mean if your just getting started there fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The suspension on this isn't any better than the 400 buck fs mongoose at walmart. The frame design is ok but if you get it plan on changing out the shock for 2-300 bucks for a decent one. Same for the 379.00 mongoose. The frame symmetry is fine, they stole it from trek, almost looks like a rumblefish, comes with all sram x4 comps but the shocks are crap.
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy69 View Post
    The suspension on this isn't any better than the 400 buck fs mongoose at walmart. The frame design is ok but if you get it plan on changing out the shock for 2-300 bucks for a decent one. Same for the 379.00 mongoose. The frame symmetry is fine, they stole it from trek, almost looks like a rumblefish, comes with all sram x4 comps but the shocks are crap.
    so does this mean that you bought the fs mongoose at walmart.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eat, Drink, Live,MTB View Post
    so does this mean that you bought the fs mongoose at walmart.
    No, I did take a hard look at one. I was surprised actually by the quality of a few of the new gooses. Really great for the price. I just bought a hifi. My first FS. If I do buy another wally bike it'll be in the box for me to put together.
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    if i were to get a bike from a big box store, i would get one from target they have one with avid disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Haha, how did we get from talking about cheap full suspension bikes to buying bikes from Walmart or Target?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Why stay away from Diamondback? I must admit, some of the stuff is silly, but they've got some pretty decent stuff... A lot of people on this forum ride Diamondback. I don't have a Diamondback, but I know people who are good and ride them....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Suspension4321 View Post
    Why stay away from Diamondback? I must admit, some of the stuff is silly, but they've got some pretty decent stuff... A lot of people on this forum ride Diamondback. I don't have a Diamondback, but I know people who are good and ride them....
    like i said it's a personal thing, and sure they probably do have some decent bikes but i wouldn't recommend one to a beginner because i don't care for them. The only new bike I've every owned was BMX DB that i got when i was eight years old, now my little brother has it and it as been a good bike, but i still wouldn't recommend one for XC ridding.

mtbr member
    Friend of mine has a Diamondback HT. Been beating the crap out of it for two years....not one problem with it. For an inexpensive, entry level bike, you could do worse.
    I asked God for a bike, but I know he doesn't work that way so I stole a bike & asked for forgiveness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I wasn't slamming DB, my first real BMX was a viper. this particular model just has crap for suspension. For 700 bucks there are much better bikes out there.
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

mtbr member
    I'd be leery of it myself. But go ride one first.

I have however, ridden a 29er Sortie, and it's a very nice bike. I really like Diamondbacks Knuckle Box suspension. Been debating on getting a Mission or Scapegoat actually.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    just recently purchased a 2012 Sortie 1. bike looks and rides great.

mtbr member

Diamondback Full Suspension $700?

Just ordered my sortie comp, it will be here tomorrow. I have heard awesome things about them and love the knuckle box system. I feel it is a hard bike to say no to for $2500. All Fox CTD shocks and xt components etc.....diamondback is like most brands....let me be careful "lots of" brands who try and sell to a wide demographic. They have bikes that are cheaper and not to the standards of an avid mountain-biker and they have high end bikes that will stand up next to the big boys in the industry. All I can say is do your research and get the best your money can buy.

Quiet Professional

Re: Diamondback Full Suspension $700?

The db recoil is not a bad starter bike. The frame is solid but shocks are lacking. Too many people run their mouth without even seeing the bikes in person much less even riding the bike.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Please don't spread ignorance. This perception of the brand is not uncommon, but is no longer valid.

Look at the Mason HT, the new Mason FS(just tested on Pinkbike a few days ago), the Mission Pro, and the Scapegoat. DB has seriously stepped up their game, and as someone mentioned above, the Knucklebox bell crank suspension on their full squish rigs is almost universally praised. That Scapegoat is a 6k bike.

I own a Mason AM HT. 140mm Fox TALAS. X9 type 2 drivetrain. KS dropper post. Thru axle front and rear. Tapered HS. Race Face Respond components. MRP guide on a 1x10 setup. WTB i23 wheelset. Burly, attractive frame. Slackest 29er HT on the market??? It's not for everyone, but it's a heckuva lot of bike for the right rider. And I couldn't buy the frame and fork for the price I paid for the complete, which didn't hurt the cause.

But no, I wouldn't buy the bike above. That 'shock' might be good for preloading before a hop or something, but otherwise... Definitely buy a HT in that price range, or look at an Airborne Zeppelin Elite, which has a proper rear shock, Tora coil fork, and X9 rear mech IIRC.

mtbr member

Re: Diamondback Full Suspension $700?

Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Please don't spread ignorance. This perception of the brand is not uncommon, but is no longer valid.

Look at the Mason HT, the new Mason FS(just tested on Pinkbike a few days ago), the Mission Pro, and the Scapegoat. DB has seriously stepped up their game, and as someone mentioned above, the Knucklebox bell crank suspension on their full squish rigs is almost universally praised. That Scapegoat is a 6k bike.

I own a Mason AM HT. 140mm Fox TALAS. X9 type 2 drivetrain. KS dropper post. Thru axle front and rear. Tapered HS. Race Face Respond components. MRP guide on a 1x10 setup. WTB i23 wheelset. Burly, attractive frame. Slackest 29er HT on the market??? It's not for everyone, but it's a heckuva lot of bike for the right rider. And I couldn't buy the frame and fork for the price I paid for the complete, which didn't hurt the cause.

But no, I wouldn't buy the bike above. That 'shock' might be good for preloading before a hop or something, but otherwise... Definitely buy a HT in that price range, or look at an Airborne Zeppelin Elite, which has a proper rear shock, Tora coil fork, and X9 rear mech IIRC.
    Well said sir.....but hey let the haters hate. They will continue to preach about their $5000 bikes and and how every other bike that isnt on the cover of Mountain Bike Action is inferior and poorly made......in the mean time I will continue to beat them up on my $2500 Sortie comp....with the same components mind you.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2