mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Derailleur Pulley wheel keeps coming off.

The derailleur is a Shimano Alvio off of a 2002 Raleigh M60, The reason why it keeps coming off is because I cannot fully tighten the bolt that attaches it, because it will prevent the pulley wheel from turning.
    I was wondering if a higher quality wheel would prevent this, by allowing me to fully tighten the bolt with out the wheel getting pinched.
    Also the wheels on it now are made of what seems like plastic.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Derailleur Pulley wheel keeps coming off.-busted-derailleur.jpg  

mtbr member
    If it were me I'd probably just buy a new RD. My .02 cents of course.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by WillT19 View Post
    The derailleur is a Shimano Alvio off of a 2002 Raleigh M60, The reason why it keeps coming off is because I cannot fully tighten the bolt that attaches it, because it will prevent the pulley wheel from turning.
    I was wondering if a higher quality wheel would prevent this, by allowing me to fully tighten the bolt with out the wheel getting pinched.
    Also the wheels on it now are made of what seems like plastic.
    Thanks
    1. There is likely a part (center bushing) missing from the pulley assembly.

2. Just replace the derailleur.

Most pulleys are plastic, and it is the right material for the job.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm trying not to spend a ton of money on other stuff seeing I need a new fork, so I have been trying to put off things until later.
    So a cheap fix would be best.

there really isn't a cheap fix available to you. you need a new derailleur. you might be able to get a temp fix going with someone's old but still functional derailleur. but that sort of thing might be tough to find. most people don't replace them until they're broken or worn out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Take apart the other pulley, see if a part is missing. Find that or similar part.

mtbr member
    I'm trying not to spend a ton of money on other stuff seeing I need a new fork, so I have been trying to put off things until later.
    You can get an 8 spd Alivio der from Jenson for 25 bucks...

Shimano Alivio M410 Rear Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Rear Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

A new lower end Shimano RD is about as cheap as it gets.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

High Desert MTBer
    In Tucson where I live there is a bike collective where they 'recycle' old bikes, hold workshops etc, and have a ton of old parts that you can rummage thru for what you need. I know there are similar places around the country, and if you are lucky there will be one where you are. I was looking to replace an inner rear mech plate for an XTR that got trashed, and amazingly I found one immediately. 2 bucks.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    1) find a replacement jockey pulley off another derailleur, with the bushing and grease "retaining plates". 2) (carefully) use some loc-tite on the bolt that holds the cage together (after cleaning & regreasing the pulley & parts). 3) replacement pulleys (aluminum with sealed bearings) are GREAT and not too expensive (I got some at performance bike shop for about $11) (make note of how many "teeth" on your pulley 10 or 11)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwg View Post
    1) find a replacement jockey pulley off another derailleur, with the bushing and grease "retaining plates". 2) (carefully) use some loc-tite on the bolt that holds the cage together (after cleaning & regreasing the pulley & parts). 3) replacement pulleys (aluminum with sealed bearings) are GREAT and not too expensive (I got some at performance bike shop for about $11) (make note of how many "teeth" on your pulley 10 or 11)
    This is what I was looking for.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Go to the bike shop, tell them what you have for a rear derailleur (from experience - take a picture with your phone AND write down any numbers you can see. This getting older sucks...). Get replacements for both wheels, and new screws. But, at this point you're within about five or ten bucks of a completely new derailleur...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My friend already gave me a shimano TOURNEY so I have that if all else fails.....

High Desert MTBer
    I love the consumerist attitude of 'just go out and buy a new derailleur'! Some people are not lucky enough to be able to just drop even 20 - 25 bucks like that. Not saying the OP is poorer than a church mouse, but 20 bucks is 20 bucks. Not only that, but why not look for a cheap fix, recycle old parts if they work? I earn a pretty decent living, but I am all for taking a bit of trouble where you can to re-use stuff. There are a LOT of resources out there that help with this, and a ton of perfectly good parts that would otherwise go to waste. Anyway, recycling is GOOD!!!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I love the consumerist attitude of 'just go out and buy a new derailleur'! Some people are not lucky enough to be able to just drop even 20 - 25 bucks like that. Not saying the OP is poorer than a church mouse, but 20 bucks is 20 bucks. Not only that, but why not look for a cheap fix, recycle old parts if they work? I earn a pretty decent living, but I am all for taking a bit of trouble where you can to re-use stuff. There are a LOT of resources out there that help with this, and a ton of perfectly good parts that would otherwise go to waste. Anyway, recycling is GOOD!!!
    While I agree with this, sometimes it is the only answer. Often times inexpensive, or low end parts contain more plastic than engineering. They fail and there is no way to fix them, in fact, they were never designed to be repaired.

In the case of the OP, a new jockey and screw will most likely do the trick. Unless the threads on the cage are mangled. In which case, he'd need a new derailleur.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    1. There is likely a part (center bushing) missing from the pulley assembly..
    agreed, if you can not tighten that screw all the way, something is missing...

on second thought, if you have fixed this problem before, im betting the issue is that you are using a regular bolt as a replacement instead of a shoulder bolt...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    By the way I fixed it..... I'm only 17 which is why I cant afford to buy a new rd.
    And I fixed it by taking the pulley wheel off of the shimano tourney, all I needed was the metal insert that goes in the center of the wheel, this allowed me to tighten it all the way without the wheel locking up.
    And I know this fixed it because I went on a 10ish mile ride today, with no issues.

Downhill fan
    Nice job with the fix! Funny I just swapped out my Shimano Alivio rear derailleur (originally off a 2002 red and silver Raleigh M60) and did a complete Sram swap. That rear derailleur can take one hell of a beating! I know from experience from what I put it through and it was still working great when I removed it.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by #Cyclelife View Post
    Nice job with the fix! Funny I just swapped out my Shimano Alivio rear derailleur (originally off a 2002 red and silver Raleigh M60) and did a complete Sram swap. That rear derailleur can take one hell of a beating! I know from experience from what I put it through and it was still working great when I removed it.
    Heres mine needs a crank and a fork
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Derailleur Pulley wheel keeps coming off.-raleigh-4.jpg  

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    While I agree with this, sometimes it is the only answer. Often times inexpensive, or low end parts contain more plastic than engineering. They fail and there is no way to fix them, in fact, they were never designed to be repaired.

In the case of the OP, a new jockey and screw will most likely do the trick. Unless the threads on the cage are mangled. In which case, he'd need a new derailleur.
    I totally agree, what I am saying is that rather than just go buy new and junk the whole old one, use any resources to find the replacement part you need. Of course, if you don't have the time or the resources locally, you may well have to buy the whole deal.
    I am lucky to have BIKAS (Google 'Bikas Tucson') near me, they recycle old parts etc. and perform a great service. I am sure there are many such places.
    It's all Here. Now.

Downhill fan
    I still have the original cranks to that Raleigh along with the Judy fork hahaha. All are now retired but working parts. Nice job with the brake/wheel upgrades.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by #Cyclelife View Post
    I still have the original cranks to that Raleigh along with the Judy fork hahaha. All are now retired but working parts. Nice job with the brake/wheel upgrades.
    Just put this fork on last night... Reba RL 120mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Derailleur Pulley wheel keeps coming off.-raleigh1.jpg