mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dahon folding bikes

I know most folding bikes are not mountain bikes so I am a little off topic.

Has anyone riden one of the 20 inch wheeled ones lately. I am hoping they have gotten better than some reviews I have seen that took place seven years ago.

I have been told Dahon is what you want if you want to fold quickly, I am just trying to determin if the d7 or mariner (20 inch wheel version) has a good ride quality.

(Never the less, multiple emails to dahon have given me a single response concerning the ones that I tried at camping world. Even though they say Dahon on the side and on the box they are yeah bikes and are of lower quality, I rode one breifly and wasn't impressed.)

Check it out
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=613395
    stop ebay theft rings!

neutiquam erro
    I have a Brompton PL6 and LOVE it!!! Ther convenience of having a folder for commuting is amazing. My Brompton is the closest thing they have to a "touring" model and is very comfortable to ride for 10-15 miles at a time no problem. While you are not going to set any land-speed records with a folder compared to "normal" sized bikes, you move along just fine. I like the pannier/bag options on the Brompton as well. It folds completely (no separating any parts) in under 30" -- very nice for busses/trains/taking into work/shopping/etc.

Some folders are easier to fold than others -- generally a trade-off in how much the folder resembles/performs like a "normal" bike. Bromptons are the best, IMHO, but I 've ridden Airnimals also, and they are very nice (just not as easy to fold).

Is there a shop that carries folders near you? They tend to be rare in the States. I'm fortunate to have www.calhouncycle.com nearby.

Sorry I don't have a ride report for the Dahon, but was excited to see a post on folders... I wish i had bought the Brompton years ago!

Cheers, Chris
    Last edited by Chris130; 11-03-2006 at 08:27 AM. Reason: fixed link

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Folders

Folders seem so much more popular in Europe than they do in the States. I have heard many say Bromption is the best. I have also been told the fastest to fold is the Dahon. I am getting this bike so that I can take the bus which has bike racks but at times can be full.

Thanks for your input.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=613395
    Stop Ebay theft
    Require serial numbers listed for high priced items.

My brother has a Dahon folder so he can put it in the very small storage compartment door on his plane. I worked on it as he was having shifting problems, sure wasn't impressed with components or general quality. How about Bike Friday or Breezer?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    My brother has a Dahon folder so he can put it in the very small storage compartment door on his plane. I worked on it as he was having shifting problems, sure wasn't impressed with components or general quality. How about Bike Friday or Breezer?
    How old is his bike?