mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Cycling wind jacket that doesn't flap

I want a thin cycling windjacket that doesn't flap as I ride faster.

Colder temps last week saw me repurposing a Marmot Ion windshirt that I've used for summer alpine climbing and comfortably use running down into the high 20s with a single polypro layer underneath. It's the smallest size I can fit my shoulders into, and is cut slender for a jacket. Great for mountaineering and running, but notsomuch for riding.

I have a very slender build (6', 145 lbs), and tend to prefer race cut jerseys and euro brands for fit. The jackets found at Performance or REI near my house don't seem to offer any tighter of a fit through the arms and shoulders than my current windshirt.

I don't want an insulating layer, just a windproof water resistant outer layer that is slender cut such that it doesn't flap incessantly at 16-20mph.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    This is what I use for the rain and wind.....it does not seem to flap for me since it fits like a jersey (pretty snug).

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...r=4&site=qbike

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jared_j
    I want a thin cycling windjacket that doesn't flap as I ride faster.

Colder temps last week saw me repurposing a Marmot Ion windshirt that I've used for summer alpine climbing and comfortably use running down into the high 20s with a single polypro layer underneath. It's the smallest size I can fit my shoulders into, and is cut slender for a jacket. Great for mountaineering and running, but notsomuch for riding.

I have a very slender build (6', 145 lbs), and tend to prefer race cut jerseys and euro brands for fit. The jackets found at Performance or REI near my house don't seem to offer any tighter of a fit through the arms and shoulders than my current windshirt.

I don't want an insulating layer, just a windproof water resistant outer layer that is slender cut such that it doesn't flap incessantly at 16-20mph.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?
    The jackets/jeresys made from Windstopper fabric fit pretty snuggly and have stretch, but they are quite warm, too.

You could also re-taylor a jacket to fit you better. Taking in the sleeve and side seams is not hard. You could try it by using safety pins.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I Ride Alone
    Craft windstopper jackets dont flap. Cut is tight so I sized up.
    The Lone Rider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    fox wear Talk to lou