Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Cycling Jerseys: How tight should they be?

So I'm finally coming around to wearing a jersey as I have gotten into endurance racing and the extra pockets are very convenient. I'm wondering how tight they should be? I'm 5'9", 150lbs. Probably 38" chest. I ordered a small Primal Wear and its pretty tight. Fits like under armour which is form fitting. It's not really uncomfortable though and is not any harder to get on and off than under armour. Should jerseys be this tight or should I step up to a medium? Problem right now is I can't find the one I like in a medium right now.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Jerseys aren't all designed to fit the same, and there are all kinds of terms for the different styles, such as race cut, club cut, sport cut, euro cut, etc. Plus each company interprets these cuts a little differently

The point is, it's up to your personal preference. As long as it's comfortable and not cutting off circulation or anything, then the only factor left is whether you like how it looks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sounds Like it fits like a glove to me. Some guys wear jersey that are a little looser but at 6'2 145 lbs I wear a small jersey and shorts.
    "Shut up legs!"- Jens Voigt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dust3313
    Sounds Like it fits like a glove to me. Some guys wear jersey that are a little looser but at 6'2 145 lbs I wear a small jersey and shorts.

Yea, it fits like a glove for sure. The only problem is when I raise my arms up it rides up in the front and I have to pull it back down.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ive heard that the primal jerseys tend to run small.

mtbr member
    You're 5' 9" and 150lbs and you ordered a small? I'm the exact same size and any top that's size small would have to be painted on me. Literally every last jersey I've bought in 16 years of riding has been a medium. I've never owned Primal Wear because it has a poor quality reputation but I can't imagine it fits right. Seriously, do you not know how to pick sports clothing? Snug but not constricting. It's not complicated. If it's uncomfortable it's either a $hitty jersey or the wrong size (my guess is both in this case.) Either way bring it back.

Sounds too small to me. Especially in the length department.

You need to measure yourself and compare to sizing charts. Then you need to choose based on your largest measurement.

I'm 5'8 175 or so and on my upper body, my shoulders are wide and often put me into a size large. But, I'd rather have the rest of my torso fit just slightly loose than to blow out shoulder seams. A medium fits my torso length well. A small would be ridiculously short.

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by dust3313
    Wow, really? You must be 65% legs.

I'm 6"2" and pretty much all of the L (and many XL) sized jerseys are too short in the arms and torso for me. I wind up having to go XXL in a several brands of road jerseys to get the shoulders wide enough to not bind up the sleeves in the drops. I have more of a linebacker than leggy cyclist body layout though. Some cuts just don't work as a result as they wind up w/ way too much fabric to flap around in the wind.

To the OP, if you can move unrestricted and comfortably w/o the jersey riding up then the I'd say the small works. I'd expect you to wear a medium in most manufacturers stuff based on your height and weight, but if you've got a short-ish torso/arms the small might be the "right" size.

Edit: If it rides up you probably need a medium unless you're ok w/ sporting the mid-drift look.

addicted to chunk
    I'm 6', 160lbs, XL usually. Too tight is annoying
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde
    Seriously, do you not know how to pick sports clothing?.
    I guess not. Can you please give me a step by step guide of the gospel of buying sports clothing according to Blondie? I wear a small in lycra shorts so I figured I'd try a small jersey.

mtbr member
    Painted on!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    It should look like it's painted on!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I'm thinking a medium may be a better fit since it rises up and stays there.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I'm 5 ten and a half and weigh between 210-220 normally.

I generally take a 2X or 3X depending on manufacturer. An XL makes me look like I have a bowling ball in my gut--lol.

An XL is fine on those rare times I've weighed 175-185ish.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Nitzerglobin
    Wow, really? You must be 65% legs.

I'm 6"2" and pretty much all of the L (and many XL) sized jerseys are too short in the arms and torso for me. I wind up having to go XXL in a several brands of road jerseys to get the shoulders wide enough to not bind up the sleeves in the drops. I have more of a linebacker than leggy cyclist body layout though. Some cuts just don't work as a result as they wind up w/ way too much fabric to flap around in the wind.

To the OP, if you can move unrestricted and comfortably w/o the jersey riding up then the I'd say the small works. I'd expect you to wear a medium in most manufacturers stuff based on your height and weight, but if you've got a short-ish torso/arms the small might be the "right" size.

Edit: If it rides up you probably need a medium unless you're ok w/ sporting the mid-drift look.
    Yep I wear a medium in euro brand cycling jerseys and a medium in long sleeve jerseys. I like wearing jerseys that are skin tight. why? because that is how they were designed to be worn. Plus I am extremely skinny and although I wish that there were jerseys that would fit me in the chest and gut (or lack there of) as well as the length there are none or very few. Also, I wear bibs so i don't worry about showing my midriff. Jerseys and shorts/ bibs are measured by how wide you are not how tall. I am very thin so I wear jerseys and shorts that fit my in width and just deal with the length.

PS: I have to special order medium tall size casual clothes on line. Finding dress clothes that fit properly is damn near impossible without a tailor. And I cant wear sweatpants without looking like a wannabe gangster. I guess you pay a price for being built like a professional cyclist. (Now I just wish I could ride like one )
    "Shut up legs!"- Jens Voigt

mtbr member
    at least this tight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cycling Jerseys: How tight should they be?-fat_cyclist.jpg  

"A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

mtbr member
    We offer fit samples (try before you buy) and can custom tailor to a degree. Adding length is a cinch. http://www.reviwear.com Just sayin'...

High Desert MTBer
    I like 'em tight enough to make your nipples hard even when it is not cold out. Sexy!

mtbr member
    Just received a Primal Wear Jersey from a group buy on another site. 6' 202lbs ordered an XL in sport cut and I find it a little short. It does fit snug, but I need to drop another 20 lbs.

mtbr member
    Like fitting a dog for a crate. You should be able to stand up in it and turn around twice.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    I can deal with the tightness but not the jersey riding up and not finding its way back down. I'll be going with a medium. Thanks for the advice.

SSOD
    You can wear a bib to help from showing the world your happy trail if that's a problem. From the picture above there are obviously some people who shouldn't wear bibs but I think you should be ok with one.

But seriously, they don't have to be that tight. I'm 5'7 140 and wear mediums. Unless your in a road tt it for 40k, your not going to notice any difference from wind resistance.

But then again, if your one of those guys that likes to wear under armour to the grocery store, then maybe small is the size for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosstown Stew
    But then again, if your one of those guys that likes to wear under armour to the grocery store, then maybe small is the size for you.
    Haha, I know the type. Definitely not me. I have the loose fit for when I'm just wearing that and the tight fit to wear as a base layer.

SSOD
    ^^ Yeah definitely base layers I wear tight to keep in the heat and absorb the sweat better. A lot of jerseys are made to absorb sweat and evaporate it quickly from your body to help keep you cool, these types of jerseys you might want a tighter fit with, I guess it depends on the material more than anything but comfort is key when your going to be in it for long periods of time. I don't think there is really a wrong answer to your question though.

I've seen dudes in baggy shorts and Fox motorcross long sleeve jerseys drop shaved kitted out racers that take their cat 2 racing far too serious so in short, be comfortable and wear whatever you want, and if lookin' good while doing it is wrong, then I don't wanna be right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    How tight a jersey should be directly depends on how fat one is.

No one likes to see a fatty in spandex. I tell myself that every time I look in the mirror!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast