mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Cycling Computer Apps For The Iphone - What Do You Recommend?

Anyone know a good Cycle Computer App for the Iphone?

NONDURO
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Check out Strava, Endomondo and MotionX-GPS

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ok, that's 3 for Strava thus far. Seems like this may the favorite.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Cyclemeter is the best if you don't care for competing with others (although it can upload to Dailymile).

Another for Cyclmeter from Abvio. Customer support is tops and GPS is insanely accurate on road. The trail mileage had some discrepancy but there was an update that addressed this issue and I have yet to use it since the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'll have to check out Cyclemeter. I listed Strava because it seems to be the most popular but I prefer Endomondo because you can see the map while you are recording your ride.

I recently found MotionX-GPS and while it doesn't log your rides like Strava or Endomondo it's maps for my local parks are top-notch and can be downloaded to your phone so the phone doesn't need to download them while you ride. I get turned around a lot and it helps me to find my way home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What about My Tracks by google? Anyone use it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was using Run Keeper for a while, but recently switched to Strava. Run Keeper is better if you do lots of different activities.

Strava is more interesting if you want to compete against others / see what record times are for climbs and descents you do regularly etc. That's why I prefer it. Also I think it's more accurate.

I ran both Strava and Run Keeper in parallel. The vertical ft gain was something like 3200 in Run Keeper and 2500 in Strava. Got much closer to Strava's number just trying to work out the gains myself.

I did try My Tracks by google once, but I didn't like the interface, so pretty much gave up without giving it a fair chance.

Either way you can export data from one / import to the other (i moved all my rides and runs from Run Keeper to Strava). Just try out a few and see which you like best.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTec View Post
    I recently found MotionX-GPS and while it doesn't log your rides like Strava or Endomondo it's maps for my local parks are top-notch and can be downloaded to your phone so the phone doesn't need to download them while you ride. I get turned around a lot and it helps me to find my way home.
    I like motion X too. Admittedly haven't used any others because it does the job. I like how you can export it as a .KMZ same with taking pictures and email the tracks or waypoints. Not perfect for for .99 it does a good job. I'm usually more curious how far I have gone rather than improved time.

mtbr member
    I've tried a bunch (mostly paid) and the best so far is Strava.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Any feedback on Roadbike?
    I wish more Apps on the Appstore were trialware. I swear I must have throw $100 or more away downloading lackluster apps in my time on the platform.

runtastic - makes sports funtastic

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i have an android phone but i'm sure endomondo has an app too for iphone. i tried strava, but endomondo uses less battery it seems. i just throw it in my seat bag to record my rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    i have an android phone but i'm sure endomondo has an app too for iphone. i tried strava, but endomondo uses less battery it seems. i just throw it in my seat bag to record my rides.
    That's the general plan for me. Put it in my seat bag or Boblbee, and let it record. I generally do not need GPS on a ride.

Initiate Tree Dodger
    Aug 2012
    I've used strava but in general it's not as accurate as my Forerunner 305. (9mi ride on the garmin, showed up as a 12mi ride on my iphone)

livin' the dream......
    I've used map my ride then switched to strava. Both do the job, but I like the segment and leader board features on strava. They also have a cool website, and I have noticed my 'feet climbed' normally adjusts downward slightly from the time I end my ride to the time I check on my computer at home.

I never used the mapmyride website, just ran the app on my phone, so not sure if similar adjustments were made.

mtbr member
    Endomondo for Android here.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

apps

I've used Map My Ride before but now I use Runtastic's Mountain Bike. I like the latter better b/c it provides elevation, even in the free version.

I use Endomondo. The features are awesome and you can use it to track different types of workouts like: Running, Mountain Biking, Road Cycling, weightlifting, yoga, etc. You get the idea. It shows speed, calories burned, heart rate monitor compatible, pace, tracks your workouts, you can challenge yourself if you do the same route.....man this app does it all and it does it well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Does Endomondo or any other app show current speed?

duh
    for endomondo for android

FREE features:
    * Track any outdoor sport including duration, distance, speed and calories
    * Enter a workout manually, e.g., a treadmill run or weight training
    * Get audio feedback for every mile or km while exercising
    * Get live peptalks from friends - they write a short text on our website which is then read out loud to you seconds later
    * See your route on a map
    * Track your heart rate (works with Polar Wearlink® + transmitter with Bluetooth® and Zephyr heart rate monitor, more info at store.endomondo.com)
    * View history of workouts and study split times per km or mile
    * Set a distance goal and have the audio coach speak to that as your target
    * Sync workouts across multiple platforms (web entry, certain watches, file import - signup required)
    * Post workouts to Facebook Timeline
    * See your friends' latest workouts in real-time
    * Race against a friend’s time and have the audio coach help you perform better
    * Compete on a specific route nearby and race against the route champion
    * Follow your friends' latest activities with the social widget on your phone's home screen
    * Keep a log of your music playlist for each workout
    * Study routes nearby and use the map to navigate your way around
    * Set the app to pause automatically when you are not moving
    * Enable countdown
    * Customize the main screen to show the information that you find most valuable
    * Get instant feedback by tapping your (wired) headset’s media button
    * Pause and resume a workout by long pressing your (wired) headset's media button
    * Integrate with bike speed & cadence and heart rate monitor sensors using ANT+
    * Integrate with SonyEricsson's SmartWatch as a SmartExtra
    * Access all your online settings: Profile, sharing, privacy, workout, audio & accessories

and yes it is available for iphone

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've used BikeBrain, MountainBike Pro, Strava, etc & MotionX-GPS is the best in my opinion.

Trail Rider
    Sep 2012

App

I just heard about Runtastic Mountain Bike Pro.